Quicken Spell-like Ability

Renaissance Man

First Post
Is the version that appears in Savage Species now considered the definitive version? It's very different from the Quicken Spell-like Ability feat that appears in other sources... including the very recent Fiend Folio.

hong

WotC's bitch
The "definitive" version is whichever one the DM uses in your campaign, unless you play in some RPGA Living Teacosy campaign or other such fiddle-faddle. Pick the one you like best, and stick with it.

Renaissance Man

First Post
Harumph!

Your point is well-taken, but I remain... well... unsatisfied.

What I mean to say is that WotC published two very different versions of the same feat within two months of eachother. The version that appeared in Savage Species was unlike any previously published version AFAIK. But the version that subsequently appeared in the Fiend Folio hearkens back to previously published versions (MMII, BoVD). Both books were written with an eye toward compatibility with 3.5 rules, so why the discrepency?

Oversight? Poor quality-control? Insidious plot to drive rules-lawyers crazy? I must know! Quantify! Quantify! :confused:

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Harumph!

Renaissance Man said:
What I mean to say is that WotC published two very different versions of the same feat within two months of eachother. The version that appeared in Savage Species was unlike any previously published version AFAIK. But the version that subsequently appeared in the Fiend Folio hearkens back to previously published versions (MMII, BoVD). Both books were written with an eye toward compatibility with 3.5 rules, so why the discrepency?

Oversight? Poor quality-control? Insidious plot to drive rules-lawyers crazy?

First off, definately use the feat from MMII, FF, etc. Scrap the one from SS. Here's what I think. WotC likes to hamstring anything that a player can get their hands on. They are also notorious for high ECLs. Personally, I think they toned down the feat in Savage Species simply because players would have access to it, which I think is rediculous.

It's either that, or I've just overlooked a really cool aspect of a crappy lookin' feat. :)

dcollins

Explorer
Renaissance Man said:
Is the version that appears in Savage Species now considered the definitive version? It's very different from the Quicken Spell-like Ability feat that appears in other sources... including the very recent Fiend Folio.

Chances are, it's the most recent version. Usually when WOTC does that (revises a power in a new sourcebook) it's intentional and meant to supercede what came before. Would probably make for a reasonable question to the Sage or R&D, though.

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
It's the same with the Cold and Fire Subtypes. In one book (SS or RoF, dunno for sure), it now means that you get -10 to the save DC (or double damage if there's no save), and in the others (Unapproachable East, Fiend Folio), the damage of the thing is increased by 50% (no matter whether you make your save).

kreynolds

First Post
KaeYoss said:
It's the same with the Cold and Fire Subtypes. In one book (SS or RoF, dunno for sure), it now means that you get -10 to the save DC (or double damage if there's no save), and in the others (Unapproachable East, Fiend Folio), the damage of the thing is increased by 50% (no matter whether you make your save).

I know the -10 bit makes an appearance in SS. Not sure about RoF though.

Remove ads