Quickening a Spontaneous Spell...

Jack Haggerty

First Post
A dilemma.

So, both the SRD and the PHB say that metamagicked spontaneous spells (sorcerer's spells, bard spells, sometimes cleric healing/harm spells) are full round actions.

The Quicken Spell feat lets you cast a spell as a free action.

Yet, I can't find anything on how to treat a quickened spontaneous spell... At the same time, there's nothing in the feat's description prohibiting a spontaneous caster from taking the feat and using it. Though the full-round action seems to contradict the feat's benefit.

Does anybody know of an official ruling on this? Or does anybody have an unofficial opinion?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Does anybody know of an official ruling on this? Or does anybody have an unofficial opinion?

The official ruling was "The Quicken Spell feat is pointless for bards and sorcerers".

Now they can get some use out of it with the Arcane Preparation feat, I believe.

If clerics want to Quicken their healing spells, they have to prepare them as such.

-Hyp.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
That's what I guessed...

It is a useful feat as a prerequisite for other feats. I just wasn't aware of a practical application for sorcerers, etc...

Hey... Are you the same Hyper/Hypersmurf from the SW PBPs?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Hey... Are you the same Hyper/Hypersmurf from the SW PBPs?

Uh... define SW PBPs, and I'll tell you.

If it's "Star Wars Play-by-Post", then no, I'm not.

Is the person you're thinking of a girl? If so, I'd like to have a word with her about stealing my name!

:)

-Hyp.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Uh... define SW PBPs, and I'll tell you.

If it's "Star Wars Play-by-Post", then no, I'm not.

Yes. There was a person who went by the username Hyper, and then Hypersmurf on my Star Wars Play by Post messageboards...

Hypersmurf said:
Is the person you're thinking of a girl? If so, I'd like to have a word with her about stealing my name!

I believe he was man... Though due to the limitations of the internet, one can never be completely certain, hmm?

Nothing to be worried about... He was an excellent roleplayer and GM. It would have been nice to see him around again.

Either way, it's a pleasure to meet you.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Nothing to be worried about... He was an excellent roleplayer and GM.

Just always irritating to try to register with some new site or other and find that the name I've been using for nearly a decade now is already taken.

And it's not exactly an obvious one for duplication! :)

Either way, it's a pleasure to meet you.

Why, thank you :) And likewise.

-Hyp.

Remove ads