D&D 5E Quittin' Time

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
When a game is getting a little long in the tooth, how do you go about deciding on the next thing? Do you press on to the end even when it's stopped being fun? Do you mix it up by starting over with low-level characters in the same setting? Or do you cut you just let the old high-level campaign remain forever on hold, moving on to the next big thing?

Basically, I'm asking how to balance the desire for closure with the desire to start something exciting and new.

(Comic for illustrative purposes.)
Depends on why. Generally I'll force myself to stick with it and let things wrap themselves up in a way that provides some awesome closure. In one recent game the players pushed some buttons too forcefully though and I just said I was done at the end of the session with no regrets, first time for everything.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
There is usually a definite end to the campaigns. We had a couple drag on with some extra adventures and then pitter out, but most have an end . The current one I'm running is the 'summer' campaign from last summer. We just finished the PotApocalypse campaign that ran to level 15 and had a few side quests and the players wanted to play different classes for a while in a short campaign. I picked the Forge of Fury adventure from Yawning Portal that goes to level 5 and had a few other adventures that tied them together and it ended... But, then the players wanted to keep going. I am now taking the Against the Giants adventure and adding that to the campaign. They are just finishing the hill giants and about to go to the frost giants. Not sure if it will go to the fire giants.

I kind of want to start the new Shipwreck Isle campaign. I have been planning some things and coming up with additional material, but are fine with going where the players want to go.

I know at some point, my father will grow tired of playing a mid-to-high caster and will want to go back to a 1st level fighter.

I've been a player in games where the GM insisted on keeping going to fulfill their vision of the campaign's end ahead of the players' enjoyment, and I can say that doing this is antithetical to a good game. If the players are clearly not enjoying the game, the GM needs to talk to them about what would make the game more enjoyable and/or end that campaign the next session, if not earlier.

I think it's better to end a campaign earlier than too late. You can (almost) always come back to a good campaign, but no one is going want to return to a bad one, and grinding it into the ground might jeopardize the gaming group.

Do you press on to the end even when it's stopped being fun?

And here I thought Mork Borg's burning of the book was extreme...

Wait... You ritually murder your DM at the end of the campaign? I feel like the Chick Tracts dude is going to want to hear about this. O_O

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I am actually moving toward closure in 2 long running campaigns at the moment.

In one, there is a goal that one character needs to see through for the campaign to be satisfying, and we just sort of agree that it’ll be rad to leave the campaign with epic PCs who have changed the course of history for Abeir-Toril.

In the other (Eberron), I expect to be done around level 16 or so, after a climactic battle between the PCs and thier allies and the chthonic red dragon who is trying to become a god and his cult. The group is currently level 10.

I think in the future, at least for a while, I’ll do limited stories with a set starting and ending level, if we stick with 5e D&D .

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I prefer to end things with at least a partially substantial conclusion, even if it requires a little effort. Sadly, this...often doesn't happen, which might be why I prefer it.

If the game has become long in the tooth and no longer "doing it" for the players, taking a sort of "session zero-mark-2" to figure out what players want from a game ending, and then make that happen, seems like a wise course of action.

pogre

Legend
Typically, we hit a big level around 16 and there is a natural story pause - most of the PCs have accomplished their goals and much of the tensions of the campaign have been resolved. At this point I typically asked the players if they want me to create a few more adventures to take the group to 19th or 20th level. They almost always do.

Once a campaign ends the PCs continue to be integrated into the greater campaign world. From time-to-time I will run an epic adventure and the players can bring back any one of their previous characters to take part. I've really enjoyed the campaign continuity this has created.

I legit wonder if somebody EVER actually did that according to the book's guidelines.

I definitely wouldn't since I don't feel like buying Mork Borg's corebook all the time just to play a session of it. Lol.

Apparently, yes.

1684265838196.png

Also from that thread:

"Johan and Pelle burned a copy of the rulebook and said that it smelled like a chemical fire then instructed everyone not to burn the book because it is obviously a joke"

Remove ads