• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Quotation]So now I conclude that D&D3R is a miniature game.

aland

First Post
D&D can only be discussed like this:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=211902

this
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=211822

and this
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=211850

Recently, in order to popularize my signature, I muddled in some foreign forums. Finding no topic interested, I brought forward some old stuff. Yet however I tried, the discussion about D&D3R always seemed to be centered around combat, like a board game or miniature. No threads could bring along debate concerning of role-playing. So how DARE you all claim that D&D3R is not a game which emphasizes fighting instead of role-playing into extreme?! There’s no sense about the nine alignments, neither are those role-playing addicted players satisfied when dealing with D&D3R. They even considered to play it with E6, where E6 means to cap level 6 as the top of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planesinger
and know Alter self, +6 AC. only wiz/sor, brd and asn know the spell, it is a good spell.

No it's not. It is a broken spell, and I doubt any sane DM with a bit of experience would allow everything with it

See, too high a value could have made a foreigner remark it a “broken idea”, so why can’t I say you all are broken, and inferior to those foreigners?

My signature is still in effect, yet where’s YOUR achievements? Years ago I wanted to make you all level up to the level of a role-playing game designer, but instead you pulled me down into this so called “broken” area. I am so outraged. So let’s see who goes further and higher!

=============================================================

I recently read this post in a Chinese RPG forum, posted by the very HIERARCH icestone, who claimed (and argued, bravely, confirmedly and furiously) to be the very first one discovering that monk could use two weapon fighting in the rules in China and in CORE two weapon fighting is the strongest and deals the highest damage.
http://bbs.ntrpg.org/showthread.php?t=3157

And I just kept wondering why would someone post in a sub-forum discussing rules while expect debates about role-playing. Full of questions and wonders, I translated this post and, since all the links are related to this sub-forum, maybe it’s best to post it here and “draw on the wisdom of the mass” to get a clear idea of what our HIERARCH is talking about?

Oh, and the “you” in this translation means those experienced D&D players who denied his/her claim and refused to admit two weapon fighting is the strongest in the CORE, equally bravely and confirmedly.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Well, role-playing part of the game is very personal and each play groups (and each DMs and players) have their own styles and tastes.

So those topics are rarely "discussed" or "argued" comparing to rule-related issues. There is no answer what kind of role-playing is "right" or "good".

By the way, there are "General RPG Discussion" and "Plots, Places & Rogues!" sub forums here, too.

And, I can't read the Chinese site. But generally speaking, Monk is considered to be on the weaker side because it is a melee class with low BAB. If he can't hit the opponent, he is useless even how his damages are big. Flurry of Blows are nicknamed as Flurry of Misses. Two-Weapon Fighting will just make it worse.

mvincent

Explorer
Shin Okada said:
generally speaking, Monk is considered to be on the weaker side because it is a melee class with low BAB. If he can't hit the opponent, he is useless even how his damages are big. Flurry of Blows are nicknamed as Flurry of Misses. Two-Weapon Fighting will just make it worse.
Heh. Thanks to things like monk's belt, Improved Natural Attack, Greater magic fang +5, TWF'ing, etc., the dex-based monks in my campaigns always seemed to be more formidable than any of the other melee PCs.

Shin Okada

Explorer
mvincent said:
Heh. Thanks to things like monk's belt, Improved Natural Attack, Greater magic fang +5, TWF'ing, etc., the dex-based monks in my campaigns always seemed to be more formidable than any of the other melee PCs.

With that amount of magic items and support from casters, Full-BAB warrior types can have tons of ways to be much efficient damage dealer/High AC tank. Also, dex-based monk is very poor at grappling. It is funny that something meant to be a martial-artist class is not good at grappling comparing to weapon users....

mvincent

Explorer
Shin Okada said:
With that amount of magic items and support from casters, Full-BAB warrior types can have tons of ways to be much efficient damage dealer/High AC tank.
Improved Natural Attack, TWF'ing and a permanent Greater magic fang +5 (about 9k gp) do not appear to require much in the way of magic items or support from casters. Having often optimized both, I simply found the monk easier is all. ymmv.

werk

First Post
Very little maths in 'real' role-playing, and hard to do it 'wrong' (could be argued).

If you have one aspect that is aesthetic and one aspect that is ciphered...one is definitely going to get more attention than the other.

He's inducing based upon observation, which we all know leads to feelings of confident superiority and expressed ignorance...it's the chewbacca defense.

joshjurg

Explorer
This thread doesn't even belong on here.

And by the way - role playing stuff ?

Numbers & stats are universal. You can talk about them in America & China and they mean (almost) the same thing. Role playing information varies widely. It is a personal experience that differs from one playgroup to the next and any of the information about roleplaying tends to be entirely contextual. Kind of like the "you had to be there to get it" kind of idea. It is talked about less because it is just plain harder to explain. Could you imagine hearing about an isolated 5 minute segment out of a movie ? It might make a little sense, but both in movies and RPG's you need to know the whole of what is going on.

Remove ads