• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

R2: Rats in a Maze [Manzanita judging]

Heckler

First Post
ooc: I vote we hold off on the shopping. We may get some info off of these bozos that leads us somewhere else entirely. Let's gather all our info and confirm we're going down there before we start buying stuff.

IcyCool

First Post
Heckler said:
ooc: I vote we hold off on the shopping. We may get some info off of these bozos that leads us somewhere else entirely. Let's gather all our info and confirm we're going down there before we start buying stuff.

OOC: Sounds good to me. We'll likely have to pass through the market on the way to the entrance if we are going to the sewers anyway.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Fimble McGee, Gnome Illusionist

OOC: Good deal. I change my vote. To the Council House!

As they walk, Fimble talks quietly to the others. "So do you think these ones'll be were-rats? How do you tell a were-beast from a normal human? And... now that I think about it, are we even sure our enemies are lycanthropes at all? Hmm... I suppose we'll find our answers soon enough."

Dungannon

First Post
The party makes their way through the streets of Ravensdale to the Council House. The weather has taken a turn for the better as the sun warms the early afternoon. Avoiding the Market means avoiding most of the crowds so the trip goes relatively quickly. In less than half an hour the building is in sight.

Upon entering the House, a guard immediately approaches them. "Hold there. You are the ones who brought in the two rogues yesterday, are you not?" When the group affirms the question, the guard quickly continues. "Please, follow me. There's been a ... development." The guard says no more as he leads the adventurers down yet another hallway and into yet another meeting room. "If you would wait here, someone will be along shortly with more information for you." With that, the guard takes his leave.

After a few minutes, during which the party quietly ponders what could be happening, the door opens and Simone joins them. "We expected some of you to join us this morning, but it wouldn't have made a difference." Simone takes a seat in one of the chairs and casually motions for everyone to join her. She looks pale, as if she hasn't had much peace or quiet recently.

"The interrogation of the prisoners won't take place today. One of them, the one you brought in unconscious, died during the night. The other one has, quite simply, gone mad. Not that I blame him, after what he must've witnessed." Simone pauses and takes a deep breath before continuing. "Our security floor has always had a problem with vermin, but this is a first for us. Those two were attacked by a swarm of rats, they chewed them up. I believe the one who died was the luckier of the two. He was unconscious so he probably didn't even feel it, much." Simone's pale eyes stare down at the table. "Tell me you have something to help us make sense of this."

Heckler

First Post
"That's...horrible!" After taking a moment to compose herself, Babette continues, "Did anyone happen to see how the rats gained entry to the building? And since we think wererats may be involved, you may want to have a healer check the survivor for signs of lycanthropy."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Fimble McGee, Gnome Illusionist

OOC: Knowledge (Arcana) (1d20+7=12) Maybe that's high enough to say this:

"I've heard of spells that summon hordes of vermin, not necessarily rats, but any kind. Whether they come from some other dimension or the spell simply dominates the little buggers I'm not sure. But... I suppose it doesn't really matter anymore, does it... Can we at least see the mad one?"

Dungannon

First Post
Simone looks up at Fimble's words. "These were normal rats, not magical ones from another plane. Our guards had no trouble dispatching or chasing them off. As for the other one, I suppose I could let you see him. I don't know how much good it'll do, though. All he does now is rock back and forth, muttering something about 'the Underlord is coming' or some such nonsense."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads