• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

R2: Rats in a Maze [Manzanita judging]

Patlin

Explorer
"I'm tired of going in circles trying to figure out the best move. I'm opening the lock."

Thanking Metrius for the loan of the mace, Tor bashes the rusted lock into useless fragments, then returns the mace to Metrius. Should he become tired, he lets Gideon have a turn.

Dungannon

First Post
It only takes a couple of swings on each lock, and soon Tor has them mangled enough to free the chains. Once the chains and the grate are removed you can see the well goes down about twenty feet before it hits bottom.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Fimble McGee, Gnome Illusionist

Dungannon said:
The entrance seems to be a simple stone well with a metal grate chained to the top. Peering inside, you can see iron rungs set into the interior wall.
Fimble looks to the others, hesitating. "Well, I would go first, but it makes more sense to have Tor or Gideon in front, wouldn't you say? And the other in the rear? I'll... eh, I'll just hang out in the middle." Once everybody gets in order (Babette and Metrius will probably be in the middle with Fimble, any specific order?), Fimble nods to Tor (or Gideon) to begin the descent.

If it's pitch black down there, Fimble says, "I've got something here, hold on... yes, there." There's a snapping of little fingers and then a light appears from within Fimble's closed fist. A ball of wax is in his hand, glowing. He hands it to whoever wants to hold the torch. It could be easily affixed to anything, or simply carried in a free hand.

IcyCool

First Post
Once they have secured a way to descend into the depths (they can retrieve rope from Gideon's horse, or buy some if need be), Gideon nods to Tor, "You want first crack at it? If not, I'll take the lead."

Patlin

Explorer
IcyCool said:
Once they have secured a way to descend into the depths (they can retrieve rope from Gideon's horse, or buy some if need be), Gideon nods to Tor, "You want first crack at it? If not, I'll take the lead."

"I'll take rearguard if you'd like, though with the length of my chain second position would work well."

Patlin

Explorer
Rae ArdGaoth said:
OOC: There are "iron rungs". That equals a ladder. No need for a rope. Am I wrong?

ooc: A little bit of redundancy is always nice. I'd hate to find those rungs rusted out halfway down.

Dungannon

First Post
ooc: You could tie silken rope to the ring the lock was attached to on the outside, it's a little small for a hemp rope. If that's what you're going to do, make a Use Rope check and tell me who's going down first, who's second, and if they are going to wait for the first person to get all the way down before following

Patlin

Explorer
"Looks like the chain they tied the grate in place with won't serve. Ah well, I suppose we'll take our chances with the rungs... carefully, of course. I'll go first."

Tor tests each rung as he gets to it, carefull not to rely on a rung that hasn't demonstrated its ability to hold his full weight. When he gets to a point at which he's sure he's within 20' of the bottom, he will jump. Taking 10 on his jump and tumble checks, he should automatically avoid any damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads