• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

R2: Rats in a Maze [Manzanita judging]

Patlin

Explorer
"I could hook a sunrod to my pack, leaving both hands free. If we plan to light one up when there is trouble, that's almost a guarantee we won't have time to do so."

Heckler

First Post
"It's not a waste if we need it to see," Babette comments as she passes the lit sunrod to the front ranks. "Besides, if we're still down here when we run out we've got bigger problems than darkness. Now, I just hope this is enough to cover the stink," she says as she douses her scarf with perfume and ties it across her face before lighting another sunrod.

Dungannon

First Post
With the marching order sorted out and adequate light supplied, the gang begins their exploration of the sewers. The tunnel continues on in a straight path for the most part, with smaller feeder tubes emptying into it from near the ceiling. Luckily none of the feeders are being used when the party passes them.

After few minutes Gideon reaches a crossroads of sorts. Tunnels branch off to both the left and right. They are smaller than the one they are in now, about four feet wide and the same size in height. A small stream of liquid flows from the tunnel to the left into the tunnel the adventurers are currently standing in.

ooc: Pick a direction, left, right or continue straight ahead.

Patlin

Explorer
Let's use a pattern, so we don't have to stop and discuss at each intersection. I suggest the "right hand rule." If anyone doesn't know how that works, it's as follows: Keep your right hand on the wall to your right.

It's that simple. This will result in your taking a right when available, turning around at a dead end, etc. In a normal maze, it eventually brings you everywhere, and if you want to backtrack just turn around and use the left hand rule instead.

Does this make sense to everyone?

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Fimble McGee, Gnome Illusionist

"Sounds alright to me. Don't we have some chalk or something? We could mark the walls with numbers every time we make a turn. A little redundancy never hurts, right?" He fumbles around in his various bags looking for chalk, but Fimble has none. Remembering Babette's purchase in the market, he looks to her, wondering if she was thinking the same thing when she bought her chalk.

Heckler

First Post
"I forgot all about that. I do have some chalk. Would you care to do the honors, Fimble?" Babette says as she digs out the chalk and hands it to the gnome.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Fimble McGee, Gnome Illusionist

Fimble nods. "Absolutely." Fimble walks over to the left side of the right tunnel. He looks for a dry spot and in gnomish he scrawls a number 1 in white chalk. "I'll put them on the left side of the tunnel, so if we come out of a tunnel we've already went through, we'll see the chalk number a little bit easier. I'll just keep my eyes on the right wall."

OOC: Not sure if gnomish has seperate numerals than other languages. Fimble knows Common, Gnome, Draconic, Elven, Goblin, so whichever has the most uncommon numerals will be what he is writing in.

Patlin

Explorer
Heckler said:
ooc: Sounds good to me. It sounds very similar to the "left hand rule" I normally use, but I think I can adjust. :p

Yeah, as long as you pick one and stay with it either way works. :)

Dungannon

First Post
The party enters the smaller tunnel to the right, Gideon still leading the way. Everyone but fimble finds themselves walking hunched over, making the going a little slower. After a few minutes of heading in the new direction, and avoiding the occasional puddle, Gideon pauses, staring ahead past the extent of the light.
[sblock=Gideon: ]I had you pause because you hear a noise from up ahead. The noise you hear is like a combination of scratching and squeaking. It's not very loud at all.[/sblock]

Remove ads