Race creation system reverse engineered and 38 example races in short form

Coronoides

First Post
New Edition out! Incorporating another year of play testing and development!

I have been labouring away for many months on reverse engineering the system for creating races. The article also includes example races and (in a clearly labelled spearate section) extensions to the system designed to braoden the range of races.
I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to my 'under construction' and 'example races' threads over on the WOTC forum and elsewhere. I look forward to seeing some familiar faces here. Here are the dropbox links to the pdf and the excell sheet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwks50klitixudx/5e%20unusual%20races%20point%20build%20200.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pyghoqohmd7t0r/5e race design 27.xlsx?dl=0

FAQ

There are a few issues that come up eventually on every thread I have started.

Has this been play-tested?
This project began in October 2014. In the year since then the system has been critiqued and used during the construction, building example races, and beta release phases through forums at WOTC, RPG.net, RPG Geek, and Enworld. Additionally there has been live testing at my home.

But there is no system!
Some people do not think WOTC has a secret in-house system for me to reverse engineer. There is no way to know for sure without a little industrial espionage. However, I believe that there is a system because WOTC is investing millions based on detailed math created and maintained by a team that is likely to have a shifting membership over several years, WOTC is going to want records to ensure the continuity of future products. Probably information gleaned from practical play concerns etc. are fed back into the evolving document at WOTC. Therefore what I have reverse-engineered is a ‘snapshot’ of that evolving document taken at the time the EEPC was released. My confidence is buoyed by my work predicting that some traits were zero point before the release of Waterborne Unearthed Arcana wherein the designer's confirmed they used zero point traits which they call 'ribbons'. Furthermore the beta version accurately priced most of the EEPC races when that document was released.

Why do you assume that all canon races are of equal value?
I make this assumption for two reasons.
Firstly, because I believe WOTC would intend to design races that are equal at the table. This view is supported by press releases and communications with fans wherein WOTC consistently reflects the fan-base’s obsession with ‘balance’. Now as fans we can argue if they succeeded forever. This issue is compounded because every group plays differently, even if the rules are identical the mix of challenges and how they are presented varies from group to group.
Secondly, the assumption makes it possible to replace most guesswork with math. Using this assumption I remove much of the ‘why’ of judgment, and judgment is really just another word for guessing; guessing what WOTC’s designers were thinking. By making this one assumption I can avoid hundreds of other judgment calls (guesses). Where possible I limit guesswork by using math. If I do not make this assumption the math CANNOT be done and I am reduced to guessing the values of every trait like everyone else then arguing the relative merits of traits qualitatively and endlessly like everyone else.
If I assume that canon races are not worth the same amount of points my project cannot be done at all.

Why did I price this or that trait the way I did?
Your experience and reasoning may lead you to believe that a particular trait is more or less useful in play than my pricing would indicate. The problem is everyone has differing opinions about these relative values. This is why I use math to remove as much of my own judgment as possible then tell you to change anything you don’t agree with.

Last edited:

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
Good to see this thread over here now. I'll be able to help you by analysing the SCAG a couple of weeks after it comes out, as Amazon takes about a fortnight to ship it here.

Last edited:

Coronoides

First Post
Dog
Talking dogs are often allies of heroines in British fairy tales. The dogs of the Green Isles are varied; from snow white northern terriers to the cart-horse sized ‘black dogs’ that stalk lonely roads.
** ½ Beast Tool use 1. Languages: Common and one other.
Wis +1 {3-20}, Cha -2 {2-14}
Traits: proficient in Perception skill and Natural Weapons, Keen Smell and Hearing. Able to speak to normal dogs and other canines.
Subrace: rather than list hundreds of breeds dogs are given one extra free choice skill and must choose one Size subrace from the four listed below.

Tiny (eg. Jack Russel, Scottish Terrier, Corgi)
Str+0 {1-6}, Dex extra +1 {3-20}.
Size Tiny, Speed 25, bite 1 piercing damage finesse attack, proficiency in Dex and Wis saves.
Scrappy: If unarmoured AC is 10+DEX+CHA.

Small (eg. Collie, Kelpie, Basset Hound)
Str+0 {2-16}.
Size Small, Speed 40, bite 1d3+STR piercing damage, one free choice skill, proficient in Dex OR Wis saves (pick one).

Medium (Mastiff, Wolfhound)
Str+1 {3-20}, Con +1 {3-20}
Size Medium, speed 40, bite 1d6+STR piercing damage.

Large (‘Black Dog’, Grim, Giants’ Hound)
LA1, JL2.
Str+3 {3-20}, Con+1 {3-20}
Size Large, Speed 45, bite 2d6+STR piercing damage, racial hit die 1d10.

[sblock=Behind the curtain...]
Dog Base *1/2

Dex+1P2
Wis+1P2
Cha -2 (2-14)P-4
free choice skillP2
Perception skillP2
Keen smell and hearingX2
Prof natural weaponsX0.25
Trip DC8+prof+Str or knocked prone!2
Speak to dogsI0

Medium Dog eg Mastif Wolfhound Malamut

Medium Tool use 1 beastI-3.25
Speed 40X1
Str+1P2
Con+1P2
Bite 1d6F1.5

Small Dog eg Collie, Kelpie, Basset Hound

Small Tool use 1 beastI-4.25
Speed 40X1
Str+0 but {2-16}
Bite 1d3X1
one skillP2
Proficient in DEX OR Wis savesP4

Tiny Dog eg Pug, Terrier, Corgi

Tiny tool use 1 beastI-3.25
speed 25X-4
Str +0 but {1-6}P0
Dex extra +1P2
Bite 1pt piercing finesseI0
Scrappy: if unarmoured add CHA to ACI1
Proficiency in Dex and WIS savesP8

Large Dog eg Black Dog, Grim, Giants' HoundLA2
Large Tool use 1 beastI-4.25
Speed 45!1.5
Str+3P6
Con+1P2
Bite 2d6I3.5
1d10 HDI5.5

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
It's always been a point of contention for me that a feat shouldn't be worth more at 1st level then it is at 4th level. I simply don't get this. This is in relation to the variant human. It's useful. It's popular. But I find it to be a little lacking. I think it needs more, a little boost. It gets +1 to 2 stats, which is balanced against a feat. It gets a feat ... that's a feat. Then it gets 1 skill, when a feat gives 3 skills or proficiencies. I think the Human should give out a few free item proficiency slots (weapon or tool), just to fluff it out a bit.

Otherwise, great work. I'll definitely be using this to eyeball my own races when I get to them.

Coronoides

First Post
Everyone: Someone pointed out a mistake with the tree example race. So I'll bring out version 1.07 in a week or two. This new version will delete the tree and clarify that Tiny scaled Greatswords and the like do d2 not 2 damage.

Xeviat: When the math spat that out it surprised me too. On reflection there are a few traits like this the most obvious being spells. Take a look at the feats most don't 'power-up' to keep pace with a character's level (or do so in a limited way). For a clear cut example look at Crossbow Expert, it provides flat non-scaling powers. These are potent bonuses at 1st level but at 19th, meh.
Great to hear you will get use out of my tool, I'd love to see what you come up with.

Xeviat

Hero
But if you don't start at level 1, that difference is moot. Look, I love comparisons like this, but you flat out say "I made these consessions on the halfelf so it would hit 12 points" instead of maybe accepting that something in the book isn't balanced perfectly.

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
The whole system is based off of the fact that they do all equal 12pt. If he doesn't do that, the system simply doesn't work.

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
? Are you saying I'm a second account of Coronoides? If so, I assure you such is not the case. I am in fact lsted as one of his playtesters

Xeviat

Hero
No, I accidentally double posted. No need to be defensive. My philosophy on creating calculators like this is that they can uncover imbalances in the system. If you have to do things like make darkvision free (we can throw it on the human now ...) and other mathematical gymnastics, I think the easiest answer is that some things aren't balanced and maybe offer suggestions on changes to them to make them balanced. Part of it comes from some abilities being less useful to everyone than others, I think.

Remove ads