Race creation system reverse engineered and 38 example races in short form

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
Hey. How does pricing Elemental body work in regards to pricing the area and uses modifiers of a damaging power?

Last edited:

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
Dear lord. I have been looking at some of the reddit threads about what is in the SCAG, and apparently the Perception skill is the same cost as any two skills, including itself as an option for one of those two skills! The Half-Elf and Tiefling variants are both this way, with Infernal Legacy (or whatever it is called) being the same cost as fly speed 30 at 1st level (no restrictions on armour, as far as I can tell from the pictures)

Coronoides

First Post
Yep I think we are looking at an evolving system and it may be impossible to mathematically solve if you include these new races. My original intent was to just analyse races and feats from the core 3 books. The EEPC added a greater diversity enabling flyers for instance. But even by then some rules of the system behind the PHB were being changed. For instance a PHB only PC cannot fly before 6th level. The tool I have is a snapshot. It does however allow me to build the races I want. So I'm done.

Reddit: initially well recieved over there until the "not all races are worth the same and I disagree with your point costs' brigade showed up. I posted the text box answers but they just missed the point entirely.

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
I don't think I will try to price the SCAG stuff after all, just because of these two variants (Half-Elf and Tiefling)that conflict with your system so much.

Re: Reddit. Haters gonna hate, and the internet is full of haters. Reddit seems to be closest to the breeding ground for the haters, as does other social media (e.g. facebook, twitter) so I generally stay away.

Coronoides

First Post
Hey. How does pricing Elemental body work in regards to pricing the area and uses modifiers of a damaging power?

Azure's heated body. Does not effect an area and the DMG p280 is assuming that one foe will be hit per round (inferred from effective DPR increase for Monster). Area/target multiple =1

The Azer can't use it's ability proactively but is not limited to a small number of uses per day so for our purposes is 'at will' so x2.

The power does 1d10 (0.79pt) and this amount is allowed at first

I make the final cost 1.5pt (rounded from 1.58)

However this is wrong! as a reaction it plays havoc on actual DPR almost every round because it is additive to weapon damage. The price above (1.5pt) assumes that the only damage you are doing in the round is from the power, this is not the case here.

The right way is to treat it as a 'rider' that adds damage to an attack (like the centaur charge).
So assuming a 2d6 weapon + 1d10, DPR is 7.5+5.5=13.
*The level a DPR 13 attack becomes available is 11th level
but you only pay for 5.5DPR so 2.5pt

Last edited:

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
I can work around that. I had it at 1d6 with x2 area (all within 5ft as EEPC thunderclap), at will for 2pt total. This explanation is easier. If I use this trait in future, should I just pay for DPR, or should I continue doing it as a Damaging Power?

Coronoides

First Post
Since it:
Affects 1 target most rounds
Has a range of normal reach
can be used every round
And most importantly is in addition to a normal attack
I would calculate it as a 'rider' as I have done above. Ie as DpR. This will ensure the races DpR does not exceed that of PHB races at the same level.

Last edited:

Remove ads