• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Racial Weaponry Training

Weiley31

Legend
So recently, thanks to one poster and topic, I stumbled upon what I think to be, in my opinion, the neat idea of how Racial Weaponry Training had more of an effect then simply being proficient. This is from the original DND NEXT(Proto-5E) packet rules. Strictly put, you increased the damage die of a weapon that was a Racial Weapon in which certain races trained in/used. There are examples of Dwarves and them having training in Warhammers and Axes, Elves had training with Longsword, Short bows, and Longbow, while Halflings had training with daggers, short swords, and slings. Would you all have been fine if they kept that idea instead of cutting it or even homebrew/plan on house ruling it back in? How would you incorporate Humans in it or would it just make "sense" for certain races to have that? And for races that didn't get anything, like the Gnome, what would you give it?

For example, in my eyes, Gnomes would get Racial Weaponry training in Light Crossbows (1D8->1D10), Spears(1D6->1D8), Daggers(1D4->1D6) or and Hammers(1D4->1D6). Hammers would also allow them to use the Gnome Hooked Hammer, which would be considered a Martial Double Weapon for Gnomes. Spears and Crossbows would help out with the fact that the Gnomes are of smaller stature and would help against larger creatures. Daggers I think make sense, but didn't Gnomes also prefer Short Swords in 2E? If so, then Daggers could be swapped out for Short Swords(1D6->1D8).

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
a +1 in a racial weapon would make sense, as well. Both ideas work, in a way.

I do think that racial weapons should be cultural weapons. While in many cases that may be the classic dwarf with an axe, a dwarf raised in a human town may know a spear, or something. This would mean that humans would have a weapon.

Also, maybe it's something like "choose 1 weapon from the following list" and have those based the upbringing of the PC.

Li Shenron

Legend
The positive side of this idea is that characters who are already proficient from class get a valuable bonus from race, while with the current rule they get nothing.

But I think think bonus should be an addition, not a replacement for proficiency, otherwise those classes not already proficient would probably not use the weapon anyway and be penalized compared to the standard rule.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
It’s not entirely clear from the opening post, but I believe @Weiley31 is referring to how racial weapons worked in the D&D Next Playtest.

The positive side of this idea is that characters who are already proficient from class get a valuable bonus from race, while with the current rule they get nothing.

But I think think bonus should be an addition, not a replacement for proficiency, otherwise those classes not already proficient would probably not use the weapon anyway and be penalized compared to the standard rule.
I would assume that’s the reason they changed it. TBH, I kinda prefer that more martially trained characters get more benefit from their racial weapons than those who lack proficiency.

Horwath

Legend
It’s not entirely clear from the opening post, but I believe @Weiley31 is referring to how racial weapons worked in the D&D Next Playtest.

I would assume that’s the reason they changed it. TBH, I kinda prefer that more martially trained characters get more benefit from their racial weapons than those who lack proficiency.

I would not give Extra power to those characters, like increasing damage die or similar.

I would rather give them extra proficiencies.

I.E. Elves that are proficient with martial weapons could get extra 2 or 3 tool/languages proficiencies instead of now useless proficiency in swords and bows.

Same for dwarves and their racial weapon and armor proficiencies.

Weiley31

Legend
I do think that racial weapons should be cultural weapons. While in many cases that may be the classic dwarf with an axe, a dwarf raised in a human town may know a spear, or something. This would mean that humans would have a weapon.
Well, that would be one way to handle that for humans or other races that normally don't have Racial Weapons like Dwarves, Elves, and Halflings. I like it!

Genasi, ala the Djinn, would have a racial/cultural weapon in the Scimitar (1D6->1D8).

Druids could probably get something similar when they are using Wood weapons.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
That will lead to people doubling up on racial and class, to up their weapons two dice.
I noticed that. And the thought went right of my mind once I realized that. So now what I think, is that via Downtime and earning Marks of Prestige, you can cash in a certain amount to "upgrade" a weapon die up.

So Dwarves would need less Marks of Prestiges tokens to up their weapon die on Axes and hammers, Elves would need less Marks of Prestige trade in to up their weapon die for their racial weaponry, Genasi/scimitars etc, etc.

Those who don't have Racial weaponry CAN do the same thing, but it would require more Marks of Prestige tokens to up the weapon die on said weapon.

And then of course, you would need to find a Trainer that would give you the proper training. Sure for an Elf, upping a Short Sword from 1D6 to 1D8 is advanced training, but if ya want to then upgrade that from a 1D8 to a 1D10, your gonna have to find and convince that Master Bladesinger your worthy of that instruction first.

Then when your REALLY worthy and get that 1D10, you can earn that UA Blade Mastery Feat.

Last edited:

Remove ads