Ralph Fiennes and Jeremy Irons: EnWorld Decides!

Ralph Fiennes? Jeremy Irons?

• Ralph Fiennes is the poor man's Jeremy Irons.

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • Jeremy Irons is the poor man's Ralph Fiennes.

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Poll closed .

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Haven't posted a thread in a while, so I thought I'd go back to a concept I had a while back ... for those of you who remember the GREAT PETER WELLER / LANCE HENRICKSEN KERFUFFLE!

I just had a breakfast conversation, part of a long-running series, in which the following debate was continued:

1. Ralph Fiennes is the poor man's Jeremy Irons.
2. Jeremy Irons is the poor man's Ralph Fiennes.

If you aren't familiar with this phrasing, allow me to assist- when someone thinks of, say, an actor, and you think, "Well, that actor is just like ... but not quite the same ... as another actor." So examples of that would be-
Skeet Ulrich is the poor man's Johnny Depp (90s special!).
Gary Busey is the poor man's Nick Nolte.
Andy Garcia is the poor man's Al Pacino.
Jesse Plemons is the poor man's Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
Dennis Quaid is the poor man's Kurt Russell.
Mark Wahlberg is the poor man's Matt Damon.
etc.

Anyway, normally the case is obvious. And here, I think it is as well. One is obviously the poor man's version of the other, and the only people would disagree are bards, elves, and other assorted ne'er-do-wells. Which side did I take? Well.... I don't want to skew the results.

I look to the wisdom of EnWorld, the same wisdom that previously decided that Peter Weller is the poor man's Lance Henriksen.

Now, a quick bit of background (some fun facts, if you will):

1. At one time, Ralph Fiennes tried to get Jeremy Irons' autograph.
2. Both actors have been cast as Alfred in a Batman movie.
3. Both actors have numerous nominations and awards, but one is surprisingly closer to an EGOT than you might guess.
4. Both actors are known not just for their amazing acting in prestige pieces, but also for unexpectedly showing up in strange places and genre roles.
5. Both actors have appeared in a Cronenberg movie.

Now, despite all of that, I am predicting that the majority of people here will likely determine that this is actually a battle between Scar from the Lion King and Voldemort. Thinking. I'm good with that.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Oh, this is so close! Both have done amazing work, and also amazingly bad work; lol

Y'all are going to hate me but I'm going with Irons being the poor man due to Dungeons and Dragons movie. Im letting that be the tie breaker.
tumblr_nsk7p2zuJK1qzocgko1_500.gif

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Anyways, I've got a few bones to pick with Ralph Fiennes, not the least of which is the name. It's spelled Ralph. That's not Rafe, friendo. You're not even Welsh! What's your excuse? Coming from money?

There's also the anti-trans stuff... that kind of bigotry negatively impacts the glands that make you good at acting. It's just basic biology.

The name thing though... that really gets my goat.

Jeremy Irons is no stranger to putting his foot in his mouth either, but he's also the only actor in the entire cast of Dungeons & Dragons (2000) who understood the assignment and devoured every piece of scenery in a five-km radius and that kind of conviction deserves to be rewarded, quite frankly.

Also, Scar is Disney's greatest Evil Queen. Don't @ me

Remove ads