Ran/Played my first game of 4e yesterday.

Tortoise

First Post
I finally got some folks together and gave the game a try. I've been wanting to do so since the launch, but my former game group(s) had split up due to a combination of scheduling issues, personality conflicts, burnout, and of course edition wars.

A friend had a birthday yesterday so about 11 days ago a couple of us decided to hold a game for his b-day and also treat him to dinner at a decent restaurant.

Prep time: Coming up with a delve type game took me about 2 hours (or less) total prep time, not counting the 10 hours it took for me to build the entire thing on multiple tables using dwarven forge sets. I had to clear my living room to get the tables in and I build slow since I work from a mental map when building, and I like to fiddle with the astetics.

Note: I normally don't use most of my dwarven forge stuff due to the time and space it takes. This was a special occasion.

The 1st level party consisted of a human bard, a human monk, a half-orc barbarian, and a dragonborn fighter. The 5th plaer could not make it or they would have had a halfling cleric.

The opening battle was a mixed cliche - started with a meeting in a tavern and their patron was assassinated by attacking goblins for a nifty bar fight.

1 Goblin hexer level 3, 1 goblin blackblade level 1, one goblin sharpshooter level 1, and 5 goblin cutter minions level 1. All of the goblins, except the hexer, died, and the hexer escaped with a scroll case the party needed.

The players at first had a tough time figuring out how to handle the fight and it was thought to be a tough battle. Two characters ended up down before things ended. In later fights they figured out that powers compliment each other and they cleaned house.

In the second encounter the party had to deal with a skill challenge mixed with a combat. I wish I had had a better handle on the skill challenge. I figured out afterward that getting tension into it would require a different technique. The concept was that a goblin had activated an ancient dwarven steam powered machine and was using it to try to break a stone dame to release an underground water source to further flood the cavern. There already was a stream filled with flesh eating fish (needlefang drake swarm reskinned as fish) that was difficult terrain. Flooding the carven would make the whole area difficult and the stream section challenging terrain as well, and would have released a second swarm of the fish. Meanwhile a goblin acolyte of Maglubiyet (level 1) was defending the exit across the stream, and had set the bridge on fire (zone, fire damage, plus ongoing fire).

My mistakes with the skill chalenge failed to create the proper tension, but they got the point and after a few fits and starts managed to easily save the dam and beat the goblins. They did find out how nasty those fish were when the dragonborn got pushed into the water and rapidly bloodied before getting to shore.

They later caught up with the hexer and managed to beat him and convince him working with them was for the benefit of his life and the survival of his tribe (lucky natural 20's in that skill challenge). And then they went into the final encounter.

The final encounter involved 16 skeleton minions coming out of burial chambers along with a 4th level elite blue dragon wyrmling.

The party had one member drop and get brought back up during the final battle, and came close to having 3 drop. They worked together very well now that they understood the teamwork concept of 4e.

Over-all everyone had fun and said they learned a lot about the mechanics of 4e during play. I had deliberately tried to include as many things as I could to include a very wide variety of the mechanics so we could learn as much as possible.

the Jester

Legend
Sounds awesome! I love the Dwarven Forge stuff, though I don't have any. :( But it sounds like you guys had a lot of fun- do you think you're going to continue the game as a campaign?

Tortoise

First Post
To reply to each of you ...

The overall opinion of 4e started on the neutral to negative side and by the end of the day had gone mostly positive with even the heavy negative being in favor of trying more with an eye to maybe eventually running it if he found more things to his liking.

I will be having a friend put some pictures on her flicker account. Once there I will come back to this thread and post the link.

There seems to be some interest. If we do I will work with the players to redo the characters more to their liking (I pregenerated them based on what they played in other campaigns or what they thought would be fun).

Dave ... that's cool! I was asking my friend with the camera (Patti K. who puts together the Balticon BSFAN) to contact you through BSFS to see if there was room in your game. I'm trying to find a game to join so I can learn this thing from the player side since I usually get handed the job of DMing. If you have the room and are open to the idea, let me know how to contact you. (I think my profile here isn't up-to-date for my email. I'll have to check).

I will post more later. Thanks for the questions!

Rechan

Adventurer
Sounds like a bunch of fun; glad it worked out for you, and earned a positive response.

Hope the guy had a good birthday. :)

Tortoise

First Post
Rechan - Thanks, we definitely had a good time and birthday boy got the two magic items the party found. :)

Dave, a quick follow-up, I checked my profile and should you choose to contact me, my email listed is the correct one.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Good stuff, here is a tip:

Read through P-Cat's, Rel's and LostSoul game commentaries. Some truly awesome stuff in those threads.

Remove ads