• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Random questions on psionics (lurk and deep crystals)

samb1230

First Post
My campaign recently introduced psionics and I was the one to take the plunge and become the first psionic character my DM has ever seen.

I already have psi warrior/ elocter and he works out great, but we are starting another lower level campaign and I was thinking of taking up a multiclass Lurk/Rogue or Lurk/fighter. I was wondering if taking practiced manifester would have the same effects as the feats: lurk augment, extra and lurk mastery. If my understanding of practiced manifester is correct i should be able to increase my use of lurk augments by 4 and use augments as if I were 4 levels higher.

If i were going all Lurk I could understand why extra lurk augment and lurk mastery would be attactive but practiced manifester seems to do it all and better.

This is like a 3 part question......
My other question is about deep crytal weapons. it reads that I can use 2 power points to deal 2d6 more damage. So could I spent 6 points to deal 6d6?

And if so am I limited by my ML?

And if I am limited to my ML, which one am I limited if I have more than 1 psionic class?

Starbuck_II

First Post
My campaign recently introduced psionics and I was the one to take the plunge and become the first psionic character my DM has ever seen.

I already have psi warrior/ elocter and he works out great, but we are starting another lower level campaign and I was thinking of taking up a multiclass Lurk/Rogue or Lurk/fighter. I was wondering if taking practiced manifester would have the same effects as the feats: lurk augment, extra and lurk mastery. If my understanding of practiced manifester is correct i should be able to increase my use of lurk augments by 4 and use augments as if I were 4 levels higher.

If i were going all Lurk I could understand why extra lurk augment and lurk mastery would be attactive but practiced manifester seems to do it all and better.
No, Lurk augments are dependent on Lurk class levels not manifester level (so spend up to 1 at level 1, etc). (page 14 second paragraph under heading Lurk augment)
Only when using the level 10 ability are you limited by manifester level.

So Practiced manifester only helps using 2 Lurk augments at once + power manfesting.

This is like a 3 part question......
My other question is about deep crytal weapons. it reads that I can use 2 power points to deal 2d6 more damage. So could I spent 6 points to deal 6d6?

And if so am I limited by my ML?

And if I am limited to my ML, which one am I limited if I have more than 1 psionic class?
No, you can only add 2 pp. There is no Manifester limit as you can use Deep Crystal without a manifester level.

Talonne Hauk

First Post
I'm playing a Lurk and multiclassing to Warblade (ToB:Bo9S). It's working really well. The Diamond Mind maneuvers work with Concentration, so it's a natural fit. They complement each other very well.

samb1230

First Post
The main things I don't like about lurk are the lack of skills and the need to be psionically focused to use the augments. Plus the fact that it's powers list is not that great (no hustle!?) makes getting focus back with psionic meditation cost more turns. No bonus feats for Lurk either so getting all the must have feats (psicrystal, psi containment, psi meditation, expanded psi knowledge: hustle, psi weapon, deep impact) is basically impossible.
Maybe dipping into warblade so you can make use of instant clarity would be nice but even that is only 3/encounter, which sometimes just isn't enough.

If you want an expert in the party a lurk is kind of subpar also. It lacks a lot of class skills that a rogue has and 50% less skills/level. Its cool that you can sneak attack stun people but I kind of find it not worth it.

Anyone have a lurk build that really works? I'm having a hard time seeing what role it fills in a party.

Darklone

The biggest problem with the lurk: No trap skills. Otherwise he's great. More sneak attack than a rogue if you want to...

Powers are lame though. The best lurk build heads for ranged lurk augments and concentrates on combat... perhaps with handXbows.

And the class needs more feats.

Starbuck_II

First Post
The biggest problem with the lurk: No trap skills. Otherwise he's great. More sneak attack than a rogue if you want to...

Powers are lame though. The best lurk build heads for ranged lurk augments and concentrates on combat... perhaps with handXbows.

And the class needs more feats.
I rather like the Precog, Offensive/Defensive (extra bonus to hit/AC that is insight is cheaper than buying insight items like the Ioun stone)

Also Evade Attack if augmented can avoid any attack (not just opportunity attacks).

Deceptive Attack is cool because auto make enemy denied dex (even uncanny Dodgers).

samb1230

First Post
I rather like the Precog, Offensive/Defensive (extra bonus to hit/AC that is insight is cheaper than buying insight items like the Ioun stone)

Also Evade Attack if augmented can avoid any attack (not just opportunity attacks).

Deceptive Attack is cool because auto make enemy denied dex (even uncanny Dodgers).
deceptive attack doesn't work on improved uncanny dodge, and you would have to use 2 augments to get any real benefit from it. Precog powers are nice but they require you to use a standard action to set up. I like stunning attack though, but lurk really doesn't have enough power points to deal that much damage in the long run as a straight rogue.

Lurk powers seems more for sneaking missions. Chameleon, catfall and cloud mind are great for sneaky stuff and dimensional door is the best out of the bunch. But compared to a psion's raw power or the psi warriors' utility, lurk's power list is just plain lacking.

Remove ads