D&D 4E Ranger: Beastmaster New Powers

I am using the non-beastmaster powers as inspiration/balance points for these so that is rather the exactly the goal (if you would have taken a twin-striker ranger power instead you now take one of these).

Do you have an example build it might inspire me... about which build components need a beastmaster analog ;)

Right, this is the correct approach. While the build could use a minor tweak to have parity with the better feat possibilities of the TWF and Archer builds, it isn't SUFFERING any. The only real issue is really mostly a matter of appearances, giving the beast a formal combat role that is more substantive than "take an occasional OA and maybe get called out to trot out the human ranger's third at-will for color." It shouldn't give the character much benefit in combat, but just make tactically utilizing your beast more interesting. The ideal powers would add some sort of tactical depth as well, not JUST reproduce TS, but given the potency of TS this is hard to do...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, there is that Griffin Rider one, I forget the exact name, but it was PRETTY good. Still not in the same league with BA (then again, plenty of perfectly solid PPs aren't in the same league with BA...).

I can derive off of BA easily enough

One is coming to mind might call it Savage Warbeast it will largely enhance beast attacks that are not adjacent to you and distract enemies from your actions etc.

Level 12 utility - Bestial Triumphant Roar: Trigger: Your beast taking down an enemy that is not adjacent - effect you gain an action point that has to be taken this turn etc.

Fhtagn

First Post
The only real issue is really mostly a matter of appearances
There is a number of beastmaster powers in which the beast functions "as a weapon", yet to me they seem mostly subpar, if not terrible, mainly due to scaling issues (and the miserable to-hit of most beasts in low heroics). I was thinking more along the lines of a pure (or mostly pure) numbers fix to make those powers more attractive. They needn't necessarily keep up with Twin Strike in the long run, but I'd like to fix them in a way as to not have them be traps.
Does that sound sensible?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
There is a number of beastmaster powers in which the beast functions "as a weapon", yet to me they seem mostly subpar, if not terrible, mainly due to scaling issues (and the miserable to-hit of most beasts in low heroics). I was thinking more along the lines of a pure (or mostly pure) numbers fix to make those powers more attractive. They needn't necessarily keep up with Twin Strike in the long run, but I'd like to fix them in a way as to not have them be traps.

Some things like helping the numbers part of adjacent beast attacking same target... and improving scaling with inherent bonuses and the like are still on my list too.

I agree that there is an issue with beasts participating in the bonus/modifier of the character. They should get an inherent bonus, since even if there ARE magic weapons for them, that would still represent yet another item the PC requires (though to be fair a TBF Ranger has the same issue). The other/maybe bigger issue is really that most feat-based bonuses and temporary bonuses are unlikely to include the beast.

What to do about the later issue is hard. Powers COULD target a beast, or help it, just like any other allied character, but given the limited potential of beasts they aren't generally a good candidate to target, so they are only going to get incidental buffs, whereas a ranger is likely a prime candidate for such. Feats are just a harder case, there clearly need to be a whole slew of feats which benefit 'ranger and beast', but the support was instead thin, leading to PCs simply taking feats that help them and not the beast.

I guess another entirely different option would be to just rewrite the beast companion rule and make it more like the summons rule, where the summons gets every bonus the summoner has. This might produce some slightly odd-seeming results at times, but it certainly gets the job done in terms of parity. Now if you can basically "twin strike with your beast" it has become a fully featured combat option.

Of course, this makes the Beast Master now VERY strong, since they still get all the other spin-off benefits of having a beast!

NotAYakk

Legend
Totemic Link: (Requires: Beast Mastery feature)
Your Beast can link with a Totem. After a 1 hour Ritual, the Totem disappears and the Beast is now considered to be wielding it. When linked to your Totem, [ B ] damage and your Beast's attack bonus gains an enhancement bonus to from the Totem, and the Totem's other properties apply to all Beast keyword powers and attacks.

Feed the Beast: (Requires: Beast Mastery feature)
Whenever you deal HQ damage to a creature, your Beast both gains that amount of temporary HP and a power bonus to its first damage roll on its next turn equal to your HQ damage. The damage bonus is lost if the Beast loses all its Temporary HP.

Life Link: (Requires: Beast Mastery feature, 21st level)
Whenever you deal damage, your Beast gains 1/2 that amount in Temporary HP. Whenever your Beast deals damage, you gain 1/2 the damage in Temporary HP.

Beast Strike + Ranger Attack 1
At-Will + Beast, Martial
Standard Action + Melee beast 1
Effect
:
Both you and your beast move their speed. Then you both make a Basic Attack. If you attack the same target, neither you nor your beast adds its attribute bonus to damage, but you gain combat advantage on your attack.

The Beast Within + Ranger Utility 10
Daily + Beast, Primal
Standard Action
Effect
:
You become a copy of your beast until the end of the encounter. When this effect ends, you replace one of the beasts; you are at your current HP when this happens. Both Beasts act under your control independently. If a Beast is reduced to 0 HP, this effect ends and you replace that Beast immediately. Either beast may take a minor action and cause the effect to end, and you replace the Beast that took the action.

Feral Swipe + Ranger Attack 1
Encounter + Beast, Martial
Minor Action + Melee Beast 1
Effect
:
Your beast make a Basic Attack. If it hits, the creature is marked by your Beast.

Unexpected Bite + Ranger Attack 3
Opportunity Action + Melee Beast 1
Trigger
:
A creature adjacent to your beast shifts, moves, or makes an attack that doesn't include the beast.
Effect: Make a basic attack on the triggering creature. If it hits, any triggering attack suffers a -5 penalty, and the creature is immobalized until the end of the current turn.

Finish the Hunt + Ranger Attack 1
Daily + Beast, Martial
Standard Action
Effect
:
Your beast moves its speed and makes a basic attack. If the creature is reduced to 20 HP or less by this attack, the creature is instead killed. This power is not expended if it doesn't kill the creature.

Reign of Claws + Ranger Attack 5
Daily + Beast, Primal, Stance
Minor Action
Effect
:
Your Beast enters the Reign of Claws stance until the end of the encounter. While it is in that stance, creatures beginning their turn next to the Beast take damage, and the Beast gains an equal number of temporary HP.

Challenging Roar + Ranger Attack 7
Encounter + Beast, Primal
Standard Action + Close Blast 5 (from Beast)
Attack
:
Beast's attack bonus vs Will
Hit: Pull 5 towards Beast, and the creature takes if it ends the pull adjacent to the Beast.

Bring it Down + Ranger Attack 9
Daily + Beast, Primal
Effect
:
You designate a creature adjacent to your Beast to Bring Down. Until the end of the encounter, the first time each turn that creature is hit by an attack, your Beast may make as an Opportunity Action move up to its speed adjacent to it then make a Basic Attack on it.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Totemic Link: (Requires: Beast Mastery feature)
Your Beast can link with a Totem. After a 1 hour Ritual, the Totem disappears and the Beast is now considered to be wielding it. When linked to your Totem, damage and your Beast's attack bonus gains an enhancement bonus to from the Totem, and the Totem's other properties apply to all Beast keyword powers and attacks.

Feed the Beast: (Requires: Beast Mastery feature)
Whenever you deal HQ damage to a creature, your Beast both gains that amount of temporary HP and a power bonus to its first damage roll on its next turn equal to your HQ damage. The damage bonus is lost if the Beast loses all its Temporary HP.

Life Link: (Requires: Beast Mastery feature, 21st level)
Whenever you deal damage, your Beast gains 1/2 that amount in Temporary HP. Whenever your Beast deals damage, you gain 1/2 the damage in Temporary HP.

Beast Strike + Ranger Attack 1
At-Will + Beast, Martial
Effect
: Both you and your beast move their speed. Then you both make a Basic Attack. If you attack the same target, neither you nor your beast adds its attribute bonus to damage, but you gain combat advantage on your attack.

The Beast Within + Ranger Utility 2
Daily + Beast, Primal
Standard Action
Effect
: You become a copy of your beast until the end of the encounter. Both Beasts act under your control independently. The first time that either Beast is reduced to 0 HP in this encounter you replace that beast with your current HP.

Feral Swipe + Ranger Attack 1
Minor Action + Melee Beast 1
Effect
: Your beast make a Basic Attack. If it hits, the creature is marked by your Beast.

Unexpected Bite + Ranger Attack 3
Opportunity Action + Melee Beast 1
Trigger
: A creature adjacent to your beast shifts, moves, or makes an attack that doesn't include the beast.
Effect: Make a basic attack on the triggering creature. If it hits, any triggering attack suffers a -5 penalty, and the creature is immobalized until the end of the current turn.

Finish the Hunt + Ranger Attack 1
Daily + Beast, Martial
Standard Action
Effect
: Your beast moves its speed and makes a basic attack. If the creature is reduced to 20 HP or less by this attack, the creature is instead killed. This power is not expended if it doesn't kill the creature.

Reign of Claws + Ranger Attack 5
Daily + Beast, Primal, Stance
Minor Action
Effect
: Your Beast enters the Reign of Claws stance until the end of the encounter. While it is in that stance, creatures beginning their turn next to the Beast take damage, and the Beast gains an equal number of temporary HP.

Challenging Roar + Ranger Attack 7
Encounter + Beast, Primal
Standard Action + Close Blast 5 (from Beast)
Attack
: Beast's attack bonus vs Will
Hit: Pull 5 towards Beast, and the creature takes if it ends the pull adjacent to the Beast.

Bring it Down + Ranger Attack 9
Daily + Beast, Primal
Effect
: You designate a creature adjacent to your Beast to Bring Down. Until the end of the encounter, the first time each turn that creature is hit by an attack, your Beast may make an Opportunity Attack on that creature.
some intriguing wild stuff in there... The beast within is pretty mythic ;)

Remove ads