Rank your Treks!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'm noticing a LOT of fandom for DS9. I only watched about half of the first season and gave up on it. I guess I might have to give it another go.

It always seemed a little odd to have a show called "Star TREK" on an immovable space station. :unsure:
An immovable station sitting next to a worm hole that can take a ship across the galaxy in a few seconds. Thats quite a trek! The first season is not great, even bad at times, like TNG. The series really takes off at the end of season 2. The best way to put DS9 is that it is the Federation through the galaxy's eyes, where all other series are the Galaxy through the Federation's eyes.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Television
TOS
DS9
Picard
TNG
Lower Decks
Discovery
Enterprise
Animated
VOY
Honorable Mention: The Orville - surprisingly good take on Star Trekyness

Movies
Wrath of Khan
Voyage Home
Star Trek (2009)
Undiscovered Country
First Contact
Star Trek Beyond
Star Trek Into Darkness
The Motion Picture
Generations
Search for Spock
Insurrection
Nemesis
Final Frontier

LoganRan

Explorer
<snip> The best way to put DS9 is that it is the Federation through the galaxy's eyes, where all other series are the Galaxy through the Federation's eyes. </snip>
Thanks for that summation. That actually sounds really cool and definitely inspires me to give the show another look.

For all the talk of non-interference and the Prime Directive that pervades many Star Trek shows, it sure seems like the Federation can be a lot like "Galaxy Police: making your culture better by making it more like ours!" (Being an American, I will conveniently ignore the fact that my homeland can often be a lot like that as well...)

ccs

41st lv DM
1)
The Original Series
Enterprise
The Wrath of Khan
The Voyage Home

2)
Deep Space 9
Voyager - but we have to ignore the 1st season or two....
Discovery
Picard

3)
The Search for Spock
The Final Frontier
The Undiscovered Country
The Motion Picture

4)
The Next Generation
First Contact
Generations
Insurrection/Nemesis - tied. Bleh.

5)
Abrahms Star Trek
Abrahms Star Trek Beyond/Abrahms Star Trek Into Darkness - Both bleh

6) NA
The Animated Series - I haven't seen this since I was a small child. I remember the animation being rather poor. Beyond that I don't have a rating for it.

Lower Decks - Haven't seen this one yet.

aco175

Legend
For some reason, my wife likes the one with the whales and traveling back in time- I think #4 Voyage Home.

Notice how these first few movies are like a D&D campaign where one giant adventure leads directly to the next without a break to craft or anything.

Janx

Hero
Series:
  1. TNG
  2. DS9
  3. PIC
  4. TOS
  5. DIS
  6. ENT
  7. LD
  8. TAS
  9. VOY

DS9 really picked up its game, but TNG set it all up that the others from its era built off of.
I like Discovery, but it is so ADD fast paced that it loses the concept of exploring worlds and travelling in space itself is part of the pacing.

Voyager has enough wrong with it that Steve Shives has done a good job of covering in his videos.

Movies:
  1. First Contact
  2. Wrath of Khan
  3. Undiscovered Country
  4. The one with the whales
  5. Search for Spock
  6. NuTrek 1
  7. Insurrection
  8. NuTrek 3
  9. Generations
  10. NuTrek 2
  11. Search for Spock's Brother
  12. The Motionless Picture
  13. Nemesis
Search for Spock was the first movie I went to as a kid specifically to see. I didn't go to movies as a kid. Or have a VCR. So it holds a good spot in my heart, but it's not the best. The Nimoy directed films were the best TOS films (and he directed the even numbered ones per common contract with Shatner).

I like the NuTrek films, but they miss the essence of Star Trek in a way that probably makes Simon Pegg sad at night.

Insurrection got new respect after I saw Shives re-assessment of it. Nemesis is hands down the worst.

Remove ads