• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rate I6 - Ravenloft

Rate I6 - Ravenloft

• Poll closed .

VirgilCaine

First Post
Warlord Ralts said:
I didn't really like the poisonous mist, but it was no different then the poisonous gas in the tomb of the aztecs or the "stay there" mechanisms of other modules.

What really bugged me at the time were the jokes in the tomb. They really broke the mood.

Poisonous mist? Auugh. That's so freakin' videogamey. I hate that kind of stuff. Easy enough to change I guess.

Funny tombstones? Like what, like this:

Needles Graveyard said:
Lester Moore
Shot in the head with a .44
No Les, No Moore

Maybe for another world, not Ravenloft.
But then, this was the first adventure...maybe the first foray into horror+D&D in TSR's history...there wasn't really a Ravenloft yet...

I6 is a classic module, well crafted and has a very strong storyline. I rate it at ten, and not just because I still have it mostly memorized :)

The NPC interactions and coherent world is wonderful.

House on Griffon hill is also awesome, altho I have only been able to run it once.

kenobi65

First Post
Rated it a 7.

Production values were great (we'd never seen maps like that before in a D&D module), and the whole "card reading" to set the specifics of the adventure was also neat.

But...

It was a TPK waiting to happen. I strongly dislike adventures that don't really give the PCs a chance (which is why I also don't like Tomb of Horrors).

Wombat

First Post
I read this adventure a few years ago, after being introduced to the Ravenloft setting.

While I'm not a huge fan of pre-packaged adventures, this one looks better than most. I think a lot of this has to do with the mood that is created, which is at least as important as the particulars of the adventure. Even more important, as a scenario Ravenloft makes sense; as a campaign setting, the whole thing gets bogged down in pesky philosophical questions that are ultimately unanswerable, yet gnaw so heavily at me that I am unable to enjoy the setting.

And this from a guy who has always loved horror literature and films, at least of the more atmospheric variety.

Blood and gore are easy; horror takes work. ;)

BWP

Explorer
Keeper of Secrets said:
Besides, I think Midnight does a better job accomplishing what I think the Ravenloft setting tried to do. In the end Ravenloft looked at felt too much like 50's and 60's Universal Studios or Hammer Films monster movies.

Um ... that's exactly what Ravenloft was trying to achieve ... and although you could play Midnight as a "gothic horror" setting, I disagree that it's intended to be played that way, or is even particularly well-suited to it.

raineym

Explorer
I gave it an overwhelming 10. It is the only adventure known that spawned its own campaign setting. It made Strahd von Zarovich an iconic character in D&D. It was the first true "horror" adventure for D&D.

diaglo said:
but i wasn't a big fan of the forced railroad... i mean mist and umpteen number of wolves...

Tracy Hickman stated a long time ago that Ravenloft and House on Gryphon Hill were in the works at the same time. If you have ever played House on Gryphon Hill immediately after Ravenloft, you'll see why Ravenloft was written that way.

Remove ads