• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rate I6 - Ravenloft

Rate I6 - Ravenloft

• Poll closed .

Eternalknight

First Post
The discussion around Castle Greyhawk has died off, so here is the next module to rate: I6 - Ravenloft.

The others so far have been:
Tomb of Horrors: Majority vote: 8/10 Average Vote: 6.6/10
Keep on the Borderlands: Majority Vote: 10/10 Average Vote: 7.9/10
Castle Greyhawk: Majority Vote: 1/10 Average Vote: 4.1/10

Right, so what do we think of I6 Ravenloft?

Last edited:

freebfrost

Explorer
I always liked Ravenloft since it was released. I remember seeing it at the store, glancing at the cover, and instantly taking a liking to it - a cool adventure with a vampire (a la Dracula). How cool was that?

Once I got it home and read through it, I found myself even more pleased. Even though the "mystery" of the game was less than desirable (who in today's culture of vampire and horror movies doesn't know who the head vampire is or how to kill a zombie is beyond me...), the gothic elements, a fantasic cut-away map, and a villain who was skilled, knowledgable, and intelligent was perfect. I was particularly pleased with the detail of the castle and the work put into making Strahd perhaps the first true D&D villain.

That being said, I was disappointed in some of the humor that was seemingly randomly inserted into the module - specifically the "funny" tombstones in the catacombs. Totally unnecessary and a mood-crasher. Likewise, some of the monster choices were less than.. gothic. Minor stuff, but enough to ding it a point.

I give Ravenloft a solid 9.

Crothian

First Post
Now this is the frist of them that I actually give a 10 to. It has great atmosphere, it can alter a bit depending on the cards, and it introduces a cool villian and springs forth a nice campaign line eventually.

Eternalknight

First Post
Out of the 12 votes so far, I'm the one that rated it lowest.

I actually didn't really like it as much as others. It probably stems from the fact I'm not a huge horror fan, nor a real big fan of the Ravenloft setting. The tarot certainly adds something different.

Pinotage

Explorer
Really liked this one. Lots of flavour, well designed, and it plays slightly differently every time. Only thing I had against it - too many vampires. They're almost around every corner, in the wandering monster tables, hiding all over the crypts, towers, everywhere. But definitely an 8/10 performance.

Pinotage

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I love Ravenloft and the follow up (House on Gryffon Hill). I am not so enthused with the machine they created for it with whole dark realms and settings, though. It just seems like too much.

Besides, I think Midnight does a better job accomplishing what I think the Ravenloft setting tried to do. In the end Ravenloft looked at felt too much like 50's and 60's Universal Studios or Hammer Films monster movies.

Edit: Oh, and I had given the modual a '9.'

diaglo

Adventurer
i loved the maps.

but i wasn't a big fan of the forced railroad... i mean mist and umpteen number of wolves...

no wonder this and the Dragonlance series had so much in common besides the author....

edit: gave it an 8.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
I'm pretty ambivalent about Ravenloft. I gave it a 6. I basically think that this is point where TSR significantly altered their approach to writing modules, for the worse. However, this particular adventure is one of the better examples of the more story-based style.

I like the high production values and the premise. I dislike the event-based aspect of module leading up to the castle - too much leading of the players by the nose - too much hard-wired plot. Unlike many of the attempts to duplicate Ravenloft over the next decade, the aspects I didn't like are pretty easily ignored.

R.A.

devilbat

First Post
I scored it a 9.

I6 is my all time favorite adventure. It offers a great villain, some of the best maps ever produced, challenging encounters, and a good backstory. The railroading, comedic elements and unusual creature placements are easily adjustable.

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
I gave it a 9.

I didn't really like the poisonous mist, but it was no different then the poisonous gas in the tomb of the aztecs or the "stay there" mechanisms of other modules.

What really bugged me at the time were the jokes in the tomb. They really broke the mood. I only scored it a 9 because, even though we played it repeatedly, there was just something about it I didn't like.

I hated House on Gryphon Hill, but liked the original Ravenloft boxed set.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads