• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rate I6 - Ravenloft

Rate I6 - Ravenloft

• Poll closed .

diaglo

Adventurer
raineym said:
Tracy Hickman stated a long time ago that Ravenloft and House on Gryphon Hill were in the works at the same time. If you have ever played House on Gryphon Hill immediately after Ravenloft, you'll see why Ravenloft was written that way.

i went to seminars at Gen Con on this back in Milwaukee....

Gryphon Hill is a 2 on my rating scale. it was so bad it made ToEE almost worth using as written. and that is saying a lot for me. just ask anyone my opinion of T1-4...

Pinotage

Explorer
diaglo said:
Gryphon Hill is a 2 on my rating scale. it was so bad it made ToEE almost worth using as written. and that is saying a lot for me. just ask anyone my opinion of T1-4...

Completely agreed. Gryphon Hill was terrible. The twin brother thing was weak, the execution lame, and it just didn't work right. So, anyone, what is diaglo's opinion on T1-4? ;)

Pinotage

Psychic Warrior

First Post
The only module I can honestly give a 10 to. I have played in and DMed this one several times and it never fails to provide hours of fun. TPK? Hardly. Every group I have run this in has managed to defeat Strahd. Not every PC survives to be sure but they have managed to win out in the end.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I think there should be an option on the poll 'Never played/Dmed it' cause I wanna vote too, but I've never gone through it as either a player or DM. Of course since everyone seems to be highly in favor of it, I'm thinking maybe I should...

kenobi65

First Post
Psychic Warrior said:
TPK? Hardly. Every group I have run this in has managed to defeat Strahd. Not every PC survives to be sure but they have managed to win out in the end.

Then your groups are either far luckier, or far smarter, than we were. We had a very experienced group of players, but every decision we made came back to bite us in the butt. Also, keep in mind that the module gave specific directions against allowing any higher-level clerics into the adventure...so all the undead in the module are going to be a real problem.

In addition, the "one real way" to kill Strahd in our run of the module became impossible...it was the "Sunsword solution", but the PC who had been unwittingly carrying the blade of the Sunsword had died partway through the mod, and we'd left the body (and the blade) behind. So, when we came into the room where the Sunsword was supposed to reassemble itself, nothing happened.

Anecdotally, I don't think we were the only group that this module bested. The following year, I ran into Tracy Hickman at GenCon. He confessed that he'd heard quite a few stories of parties that his masterpiece had wiped out.

JustaPlayer

First Post
Best adventure ever. I gave it a 10. This was the total package. Great presentation. Awesome RP opportunities. Innovative mechanics. Superb background story.

Average result at this time is 8.4

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
kenobi65 said:
Anecdotally, I don't think we were the only group that this module bested. The following year, I ran into Tracy Hickman at GenCon. He confessed that he'd heard quite a few stories of parties that his masterpiece had wiped out.
for the story on my PCs death visit these threads:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=95139&page=1&highlight=Lothar
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=129792&highlight=Lothar
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=68423&highlight=Lothar

satori01

First Post
Ravenloft when it came out holds the record for the fastest TPK of my youth. Came to game late from soccer practice whipped out my character sheet and sat down.
" Whats going on ?"I said

My friends and fellow party mates replied " Vampire terrorizing the town lives in this castle we are standing before, so we are going to go kill him".

"We going in through the front door?"

"Yep, we just stepped in before you got here, but I'm sure we can say you were with us the whole time", my party mates said.

TPK promptly ensued. After the dragon fire died down silence was heard through out the land, except for the laughter of Strahd, and the DM.

It was a great module to play though in all fairness, the second time around.

Remove ads