• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Rate your interest in 4e.

D&D 4e expectation score

Votes: 24 4.2%

Votes: 19 3.4%

Votes: 35 6.2%

Votes: 39 6.9%

Votes: 19 3.4%

Votes: 16 2.8%

Votes: 30 5.3%

Votes: 90 15.9%

Votes: 122 21.6%

Votes: 171 30.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

FitzTheRuke

Legend
keterys said:
I'm a little scared that my 7 (and I thought I was one of the biggest proponents around!) was below the majority of supporters.

Yeah, me too. My enthusiasm goes to 11, but I recognize that it won't be the best game in the history of mankind, so I voted 8.

Fitz

BlackMoria

First Post

Color me unimpressed. Sure, it is the new shiny and all, and something new always looks good initially but unless 4e makes for a superior game in all aspects to my existing 3.5 game, it is simply a game with a different feel and a different set of assumptions due to new and different rules.

I am not sure 4e is a superior system to 3.5, IMO. It is a different system. So, for me, are the differences enough of a tangible benefit to my game to merit changing. There is the rub.

I will pick up 4e for sure, but not of a burning desire for change because my game is lacking. Moreso because I am curious as to what the new rules are like; because I have all versions of D&D since I started with the brown books in 1974; and because I want to see what is it about 4e that resulted in months of on-line yammering and emotionally frothing at the mouth that I have witnessed since the GenCon announcement.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I've been a steady 6 or 7 since the announcement, and nothing I have seen since has changed my mind one bit. It will be a solid game, with some really excellent features. Good enough to pick up eventually, but not so hot that I have to get the new shiny right now.

As an incurable optimist, I voted 7, the top of that range. :D

frankthedm

First Post

The fact 4e is coming out the gate with the math seeming already run makes me very happy. WotC SEEMS to know just how much the numbers [to hit / damage /AC etc] a Party/Character should be at for any level. This in theory means that new material can be introduced and as long as it meshed with that math, power creap will be much more curtailed.

Really disliking:

Severe Devaluation of cover

HP starting around 20

The rediculous amount of negative HP.

I could say zero, but I suppose I've have still some hope that in the rituals or the feats or in the powers that we have not yet seen there will be something more interesting then "1001 ways to kill monsters". So .... 2.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Xorn said:
Jumping the shark for 4E would mean that the game falls flat on its face, unable to rekindle interest in D&D, and marking the beginning of the end of D&D.
Ah. I have misused an already terrible analogy. I thought that "jumping the shark" was a way of saying that something is over-the-top, Hollywood-style awesome-to-the-point-of-absurdity. Like jumping over a shark in waterskis. Not "old guy trying to remain relevant by acting ridiculious."

So I guess that what I was trying to say is, my interest in 4E will go up a bit once I have the books, but unless it is incredibly awesome, it won't ever get above 5 or 6.

Last edited:

Zil

Explorer
I started off somewhere around 4 at the initial announcement and have been slowly drifting downwards with but a brief blip upwards when I heard they were going to redo most of the old settings. I didn't vote 0 (because I am still curious about the final product) but I have pretty low expectations. However, I reserve the right to change my mind at a later date. :)

JohnSnow

Hero
Well, I voted 9.

I wouldn't kill, but it looks like 4E is addressing just about every real problem I've had with D&D since I started playing over 25 years ago.

Vancian magic is (mostly) gone - Check!
Starting characters are less likely to die randomly - Check!
Non-magical classes don't play backup to spellcasters - Check!
Fighter types have interesting options in combat - Check!
All classes are useful in combat - Check!
The Great Wheel is dead - Check!
DM prep looks quick, easy, and intuitive - Check!
Unified, straightforward resolution system - Check!

The thing is, I'd pretty much given up on 3e, and was playing OGL games, like Iron Heroes, but I was still stuck with Vancian magic. I hate Vancian magic. I've always hated Vancian magic. I even tried Palladium Fantasy Roleplaying because I hate Vancian magic. But all the other systems started fiddling with other things when they ditched Vancian magic. I was down to the point of writing my own magic system to merge with the Iron Heroes rules and actually get the game I wanted. It was shaping up to be a LOT of work.

Moreover, I've been trying to get my wife to be interested in playing D&D. She's interested but as I tried to explain some of the D&D "quirks" to her, I began to realize exactly how entrenched in itself the game had become. I challenge anyone here. Try explaining the Great Wheel (or Guardinals, or the Blood War, or numerous other "D&Disms") to anyone who hasn't been playing D&D for years. Watch the look in their eyes and you'll know why a lot of this stuff is getting the heave-ho. Better yet, try explaining hit points as anything other than heroic luck at avoiding serious injury and just watch the eyes roll.

In conversations with my wife, I often found myself saying "Well, in 4E, how it works is..." as I quoted from preview articles and books, like the Design & Development columns in Dragon, Races & Classes or Worlds & Monsters. Because as I gave the 3E version of "how stuff works," I was confronted by her saying "but that makes no sense!" or "gee, that seems like a lot of effort to no purpose..."

So, yeah...I'm behind 4E all the way. And, as a side benefit, the books at my game table will actually say Dungeons & Dragons on the cover again (as opposed to Iron Heroes, True Sorcery and the like...)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads