• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rating - Perfect 10 Movies

buzzard

First Post
Patton
A Bridge too Far
The Shootist
Robin Hood (Errol Flynn version, of course, though it might only be a 9)
Schindler's List
Casablanca
Sgt. York
Naughty Nineties (best Abbot and Costello movie-features Who's on First skit, but again, it might only be a 9)
Gone with the Wind (which I am personally not that fond of, but do recognize the quality)

I've seen plenty of movies listed above in other posts which I'm quite fond of, but I wouldn't go as far as calling them 10s. Heck, even some of the above might not really be worthy, but they are all close. This would be easy if you were asking for 8s and 9s.

buzzard

Shadowdancer

First Post
Viking Bastard said:
Uh, unless there's a remake, that's an German film. Don't you mean the one
by Fritz Lang? Although there are both a German version and an American
one, where the American one was highly edited for length and censored.

And yeah. That movie is brilliant. As are all other Fritz Lang movies I've seen.
It was rereleased in the 1980s with a soundtrack of songs by rock groups popular at the time.

Shadowdancer

First Post
From my IMDB vote list receiving a 10:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Battleship Potemkin
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Godfather Part II
It's a Wonderful Life
Metropolis
Notorious
Rashomon
Le Samourai
Schindler's List
The Seventh Seal
La Strada
The Third Man

I have 75 movies with a 9 rating, and 105 with an 8 rating. I rarely give a movie a 10 rating.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
One movie, I'd like to add myself is The Sting.

Other than that, many are already mentioned above (SW: ANH, SW: TESB, LotR: FotR, The Matrix, Alien, Aliens, Fight Club, ...).

Bye
Thanee

johnsemlak

First Post
Ahh so difficult.

I am very happy The Adventures of Robin Hood (1939 w Errol Flynn) is getting the respect it deserves. It's somewhat dated, but a true classic (and better than ALL later attempts at the Robin Hood story).

My list of 10s

The Adventures of Robin Hood
Casablanca
Chariots of Fire
Das Boot
Star Wars/The Empire Strikes Back
The Right Stuff
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Some Russian films I'd also rate at 10 or thereabouts:
Moscow Doesn't Believe in Tears
Ironia Sudba (The Irony of Fate)
Several of Sergei Eisenstein's movies

I'm a bit unsure about Stanley Kubrick's movies. They are awesomely crafted, and I won't go beyond that in praising them, but they don't suit everyone's tastes, and they're generally not films I'd watch again and again, as the above are. Still, 2001 really ought to be on the list, I suppose.

I feel bad I can't put something by Clint Eastwood on the list. Ought to put him in as an honorable mention or soemthing.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Agree with most of these some adds:

Casablanca
The Big Sleep
True Grit
War of the Worlds
Time Machine (you know which one)
IT (both)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Trouble with Harry
Harvey
Arsenic and Old Lace
The Lion in Winter
My Favorite Year

I don't know if all of these are 10's per se but they're some of my favorites within certain genres.

Comedy:
Young Frankenstein - I love Mel Brooks, but this is his only movie that I can watch again and again and again
Ghostbusters
The Birdcage - yes, I've heard the original is better, but I can't help it. Every time I hear Robin Williams say, "No, that was perfect. I just never realizrd John Wayne walked like that" I crack up.

Disney animation (really it's own category):
Sleeping Beauty - to my mind, the standard by which all the others should be judged

Action:
Hard Boiled (Lashou Shentan, also known by various other names, including the very silly "God of Guns") - the best pure action film I've ever seen

Drama (Okay, a very broad category):
In the Heat of the Night
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Shawshank Redemption

Adventure (another catch-all category):
They Died with their Boots on
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn)
The Seven Samurai / The Magnificent Seven - some people insist that one is better than the other. I think that they're the same film expressed in terms of different cultures and that both are wonderful.

Successful Genre Benders:
Back to the Future
The Princess Bride

And then there's a film that may be an incredible film, or it may be sensory overload making me think it's an incredible film. I am not a wise enough man to tell the difference:
Saving Private Ryan

Dimwhit

Explorer
Mog Elffoe said:
The Wrong Guy is hysterical. I thought I was the only person that had seen and loved it.

You just have good taste is all! :)

The temptation to change my username to Enema Bag Jones is nearly irresistible...

NotNew@Enworld

First Post
*Cracks knuckles*

-Memento (11.14 is close but not as good)
-Citizen Kane
-Crippled Avengers (Old Kung-fu flick, the one I'm talking about is the one with 4 avengers not the 2 avenger version. It beats the Matrix series hands-down in terms of combat, IMO)
-Shaun of the Dead (I don't think it's out yet, saw it at a festival)
-The American Astronaut (Rock and Roll in space)
-Avalon
-Ghost in the Shell
-Lost in Translation
-Apocolypse Now
-Lilya forever
-The Qatsi-trilogy
-Saving Private Ryan
-Ichi the Killer
-The Seven Samurai
-Karakter (Dutch movie)
-Alien
-Leon
-Dark City
-Zatoichi (The Takeshi Kitano version, I haven't seen the other ones)

I know it's a big list but I see about 200+ movies a year so I need a bigger list.

Toedels

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads