• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rating - Perfect 10 Movies

milotha

First Post
The Shawshank Redemption
Fight Club
Momento
Pulp Fiction
Amadeus
Ran
Clockwork Orange
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, of course
M

Sarigar

First Post
My perfect 10 list changes over time.
15 years ago I would have listed the cartoon version of the Hobbit. This was before I ever read LOTR. It's what got me hooked on Tolkien.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a little better than The Sting, but both are tens.
Pretty much everything in the last 30 years everyone has mentioned.

What I find interesting are the number of films people are listing that they saw in film classes. There are standard films that are shown to film classes like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Duck Soup, Battleship Potempkin, and Metropolis, but I don't rank any of them as a ten. That's not saying that they aren't ground breaking and good films (except Caligari which I despised), I just wouldn't rank them as 10's.
And, so you don't think I only like movies from the last thirty years, my favorite's include Casablanca, Rear Window, The Maltese Falcon, Bridge on the River Kwai, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Gold Rush, and many more, all 10's. And yes, some of these movies I saw for the first time in a film class. That's why I took it.

MEG Hal

First Post
I agree with a lot stated some I think are almost "10's" that I did not see posted yet* are:

Seven
The Sweetest Thing
The Usual Suspects
American History X
Shrek
Dumb and Dumber

I will try and think of more soon.

*I may have missed them posted

Thanee

First Post
Sarigar said:
What I find interesting are the number of films people are listing that they saw in film classes.

I also listed a movie I have seen in a film class (well not exactly a film class, it was a psychology class)... Alien! :D

Bye
Thanee

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Hand of Evil said:
Agree with most of these some adds:

Time Machine (you know which one)

Honestly I do not know. Neither to me comes anywhere near a 10.

As for my choices I am fairly picky and many that have been listed I would rank a 9 or 9.5.

Star Wars (the only movie I have intentionaly watched more than a dozen times. I watched Disney's Alladin several hundred times but that was when I worked in a video store and had no choice)

Godfather I & II
Schindler's List
Silence of the Lambs
The Wizard of Oz

Possible future addition: Return of the King EE (I give RotK a 9.5 and the EEs have always improved things).

Fast Learner

First Post
A lot of the films mentioned fit into my top 10%. A few not yet mentioned that are in my top 10%:

American Beauty
Magnolia
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Groundhog Day

D+1

First Post
A highly subjective list of my top 10 of 10/10 rated movies, rapidly assembled, and being only movies I've seen, seen IN theaters, and not necessarily flawless in their technical accomplishment in the medium but in their ability to provide maximum enjoyment even over repeated veiwings over many years:

The Shawshank Redemption
Star Wars
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Alien
The Sting
Ran
Jaws
Aliens
LotR:FotR
The Usual Suspects

Not necessarily in that order though fairly close, but yes, Shawshank is definitely #1.

Edit: after brief additional consideration, replace Ran with Saving Private Ryan.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads