• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rating - Perfect 10 Movies

Album Cover X

First Post
My list would also contain many of the films already listed. I also define a 10 as something I would watch in a heartbeat, especially if someone hasn't seen it. Like watching over again for the first time. Here's what I can think off the top:

GlenGarry GlenRoss
Office Space
Fight Club
Princess Mononoke
Forrest Gump
Casablanca
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Field of Dreams
The Sting
A River Runs Through It

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Sarigar said:
What I find interesting are the number of films people are listing that they saw in film classes.
What I find interesting is how you know if people attended film classes or not. Crothian's the only one who mentioned they'd seen a film in a film class. And he only mentions one.

Or are you saying you find it interesting that only ONE film on this entire thread has been identified as having been seen in film classes?

I have not taken any film classes. The world is my classroom, baby.

buzzard

First Post
Never took film classes myself. I always preferred war classes.

However I do have to ask, do most people think that just because a movie is their favorite, it is the pinnacle of filmmaking? That's the criteria by which I would like to measure a 10, though I suspect I am not really the best judge.

buzzard

Maerdwyn

First Post
(Along with a few others I probably forgetting, these are the movies I absolutely love, not necessarily those I think are example of perfect movie) making
Seven Samurai (perfect 10 regardless of my qualification above)
Hunt for Red October
Godfather (perfect 10)
The Sting
Bull Durham
Braveheart
Casablanca (perfect 10)
My Neighbor Totoro (Note: If you plan on having kids someday, know that they enjoy and insist on watching a single movie over and over and over. If somehow you're lucky enough that they love this gem by Hiyao Miyazaki, count your blessings, as I have:))
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Rocky
The Rookie (best live action G-rated movie of the decade at least.)
Gandhi (perfect 10)
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Shawshank Redemption
The Usual Suspects
Rudy (perfect 10)
Eat Drink Man Woman
Fargo

Last edited:

Aeolius

Adventurer
The first 10 off the top of my head, in no particular order:

The Abominable Dr Phibes
Harold and Maude
Theater of Blood
The Truman Show
The Dark Crystal
Young Frankenstein
The Jerk
The Pink Panther Strikes Again
Jaws
The Omega Man

Henry

Autoexreginated
Most of these have been mentioned, but my list:

It's a Wonderful Life
Cyrano deBergerac (with José Ferrer)
Star Wars (the first one)
Return of the Jedi (the first one)
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Usual Suspects

Brilliant in execution and true to their genres or stories. Wonderful Life holds a place in my heart like Old Yeller does in other people's - it's time travel, alternate worlds, and a universal truth all rolled into one.

Pants

First Post
- LotR Trilogy
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Aliens
- Clockwork Orange
- The Shining
- The Shawshank Redemption
- Fight Club
- Clerks
- The Matrix
- Star Wars: Th Original Trilogy
- The Princess Bride
- Apocalypse Now!
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off

I have taken two film classes in my life and while I enjoyed most of the movies quite a bit, in the end what I really care about is entertainment value to me, not the positioning of a camera in a particular shot or what the color Red signifies in a particular scene. That said, I first saw Apocalypse Now! in my High School film class and I loved it. Damn great movie.
Citizen Kane and The Third Man weren't too bad either, but I don't see myself sitting down during a boring Saturday afternoon to watch Citizen Kane.

buzzard:
However I do have to ask, do most people think that just because a movie is their favorite, it is the pinnacle of filmmaking? That's the criteria by which I would like to measure a 10, though I suspect I am not really the best judge.
Not me. I knowingly like films such as Strange Brew and Armageddon, which are by no means the pinnacle of anything, much less the summit. ;)

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
buzzard said:
Do most people think that just because a movie is their favorite, it is the pinnacle of filmmaking? That's the criteria by which I would like to measure a 10, though I suspect I am not really the best judge.
My criteria for my "perfect 10" movies was stated:

1. I watch them many times
2. I wouldn't change anything about them
3. They are on my shelf

So some films fail on criteria 1 (Babe, or All About Eve). Some fail on criteria 2 (the original King Kong). And some fail on criteria 3 (Raiders and Star Wars, just to pick a couple from a very long list).

As an aside, I think I need to add Hard-Boiled to my list. I think I do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads