• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rating - Perfect 10 Movies

buzzard

First Post
barsoomcore said:
My criteria for my "perfect 10" movies was stated:

1. I watch them many times
2. I wouldn't change anything about them
3. They are on my shelf

So some films fail on criteria 1 (Babe, or All About Eve). Some fail on criteria 2 (the original King Kong). And some fail on criteria 3 (Raiders and Star Wars, just to pick a couple from a very long list).

As an aside, I think I need to add Hard-Boiled to my list. I think I do.

I have pleny of movies that would make criteria 1. Heck, I've watched Highlander well over a hundred times. I've watched Red Dawn and Major League plenty of times as well. I certainly don't see any of those as 10s.

Criteria 2 is much trickier for me. I tend to nitpick things, even in very good movies I will find something to nitpick. For example, in Schindler's List, the movie is in black and white, but there's the one little girl in a pink dress. I found that to be pointlessly heavy handed. Rather reminded me of the glow puck. However I still consider that a great movie, and one very likely worthy of a 10. I think it would also fail criteria 1. It's a great movie, but it's not something I would watch repeatedly. It's too emotionally draining. Heck Major League is a movie I couldn't think of anything that you could change to improve it. However, I can't see it as a 10. Maybe I'm too harsh and it is.

Then there's criteria 3. Well, I have close to 200 DVDs and maybe another 40 or 50 laserdiscs. I know not all of these movies are 10s. Heck a number of them are duds I bought, on a whim, because they were cheap.

I don't suppose there really is an easy way to judge what it the perfect movie, so I guess your criteria are as good as anything. They just don't work for me.

buzzard

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I think you're misunderstanding the point. A film has to pass ALL the three criteria to make my list. So most of the films you're describing, though they pass one or the other criteria, fail at least one, and so do not make the list.

I should expand on criteria 1, too -- my original comment was that if has to be a film that I watch repeatedly and constantly provides me with new joys. As opposed to a film that I watch repeatedly just because I'm in Highlander mode and want to turn my brain off for a while. A film has to REWARD repeated viewing with new insights, new laughs, new thrills that I didn't notice in my previous viewings.

Does that help?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Finding a Perfect 10 movie is hard for me. I am pretty hard on movies. I really like them, don't get me wrong. But I have a hard time giving out a perfect rating. There are lots of things I'd rate and 8 or 9 though.

For example, one of my favorite moves of all time is Blade Runner. But it has some very definite editing problems and so I wouldn't give it a 10.

Some very good candidates for a perfect 10 (if I sat down and really thought about them):

Breaker Morant
Das Boot
Schindler's List
Apollo 13
Toy Story
Monster's Inc
Life of Brian
This is Spinal Tap
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Rocky
The Godfather (1)
The Manchurian Candidate
Alien
Ed Wood

Other really good ones that fall just short of a 10:
What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
Empire Strikes Back
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Aliens
Ladyhawke
Stalingrad
Fellowship of the Ring

Endur

First Post
Perfect 10's by genre

Braveheart (medieval history)
Spartacus (ancient history)
Raiders of the Lost Art (adventure)
Star Wars (Science Fiction)
The Lord of the Rings (Fantasy)
The Passion of the Christ (religion)
Unforgiven (western)
The Longest Day (WW2 history)
The Third Man (suspense)
The Godfather (crime)
The Bridges of Madison County (Romance)
Casablanca (Romance)
The Usual Suspects

Last edited:

Dimwhit

Explorer
Hmm, Asmo and Endur just mentioned 2 movies I'd have to add to the list. Twelve Monkeys and Unforgiven are, to me, flawless movies for their genres. Incredibly well-made and entertaining.

Mog Elffoe

Explorer
I could add Unforgiven and The Searchers to my list as well.
Kudos to the guy that listed The Jerk. :)

I am really amazed at how many people have put Fight Club on their list as being a perfect 10 movie though... :confused:

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Mog Elffoe said:
I am really amazed at how many people have put Fight Club on their list as being a perfect 10 movie though... :confused:
Because you can't believe that so many other people have the same exquisite taste as you, or because you can't believe that so many other people disagree with your exquisite taste?

:D

milotha

First Post
Mog Elffoe said:

I think Fight Club is one of those movies that people either love or hate or perhaps more accurately grok or don't grok. I loved it. I still love it. I've watched it more times than I care to admit, and I usually don't rewatch movies.

buzzard

First Post
barsoomcore said:
I think you're misunderstanding the point. A film has to pass ALL the three criteria to make my list. So most of the films you're describing, though they pass one or the other criteria, fail at least one, and so do not make the list.

I can think of movies which meet all your criteria (if they applied to me, of course) that I do not consider 10s. Major League is a good example. I have watched many times. I can't think of any way to change it to improve it. I own it. It's a fun movie, and very watchable. It, however, is no 10.

barsoomcore said:
I should expand on criteria 1, too -- my original comment was that if has to be a film that I watch repeatedly and constantly provides me with new joys. As opposed to a film that I watch repeatedly just because I'm in Highlander mode and want to turn my brain off for a while. A film has to REWARD repeated viewing with new insights, new laughs, new thrills that I didn't notice in my previous viewings.

Does that help?

I have never objected to your criteria if they work for you. I was just explaining that they don't work for me. Though I would ask this, would a movie like Schindler's List, which I have a great opinion of, but would find hard to watch many times, make your list? Do you have to be able to watch it repeatedly for it to be worthy in your opinion?

Also the addendum to criteria 1, would that allow you to simply sit there and think of how well constructed a movie is and pass it? I'm a big fan of The Replacements. IMHO it is the best of all Football movies because it is well put together in many ways. I can just re-watch it and enjoy the quality of its contruction. However I can't say it adds new things when I re-watch it. I merely enjoy the experience and don't tire of it.

buzzard

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads