Ravenloft-Your Experiences

ssampier

First Post
Ravenloft always seemed to me to have really awesome potential, but quickly ruined by the wrong group and/or bad DM.

The few times I've played in it seemed to be the "kill this undead monster thingie, so you can go back home again", sort of like a Gothic horror version of Dorthy and the Wizard of Oz.

The players, however, used Ravenloft and the Mists as an excuse to be evil ('They need to fit in', they said).

I'd jump at the chance to play Ravenloft with a good DM, but with a good DM I'd play particularly any adventure or system (maybe even Terrible Trouble at Tragidore).

SkredlitheOgre

Explorer
Ravenloft always seemed to me to have really awesome potential, but quickly ruined by the wrong group and/or bad DM.

The few times I've played in it seemed to be the "kill this undead monster thingie, so you can go back home again", sort of like a Gothic horror version of Dorthy and the Wizard of Oz.

The players, however, used Ravenloft and the Mists as an excuse to be evil ('They need to fit in', they said).

I'd jump at the chance to play Ravenloft with a good DM, but with a good DM I'd play particularly any adventure or system (maybe even Terrible Trouble at Tragidore).

This here. I've played with a good DM and it was awesome, but a few years ago, I attempted to bring some Ravenloftian elements into my 3.5 game and to see if the group would be interested in more horror/Ravenloft/Lovecraftian stuff, but the most outgoing members of the group were too busy figuring out Attack Bonuses and Armor Class and whatnot to bother with the story or the setting. Maybe it's my fault for not presenting it in such a good way, but it just didn't go over very well with the group, so I dropped it.

Remove ads