D&D 5E RAW: Can druids wear studded leather?

RAW a druid can wear metal armour, but chooses not to. It's a matter for the player to decide how far they are willing to compromise their code.
This. There is zero mechanical consequence for a druid that chooses to wear metal armor.

But if you want to avoid drama with Adventure League DMs, just don't do it. There is no RAW answer regarding the composition of Studded Leader.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
And really, how often does an AL DM actually ask about what armor any PC is wearing anyway? Any time I've run games at conventions, I've never once grilled a player on their weapon or armor choices.

Oofta

Legend
And really, how often does an AL DM actually ask about what armor any PC is wearing anyway? Any time I've run games at conventions, I've never once grilled a player on their weapon or armor choices.

While I agree, I would also say it was cheating. A lie by omission is still a lie.

It doesn't really matter that much, we're talking about a single point of AC for a PC that will likely never be in melee unless they've turned themselves into some beast. But as with claiming that ring mail doesn't count as metal armor because it doesn't specifically state that it's made of metal (really?), I'd rather not try to fudge the system.

Have some respect for your DM and ask because there is no clear cut RAW on this one.

Stalker0

Legend
But as with claiming that ring mail doesn't count as metal armor because it doesn't specifically state that it's made of metal (really?)

Because we are going as RAW as possible, we are are going old school 3e rules lawyering.

The word metal is not defined specifically and is not a keyword anywhere (which would be the best finding).

We go to the next tier, descriptions. Most armors do in fact literally say the word metal in their descriptions...the actual word. They don’t imply, they state.

Ring mail does not. It’s that simple. Now could it simply be an oversight? Of course. But since we have both a class restriction and a spell restriction (heat metal), we have to assume that the word metal is not arbitrary and start with the basis that the rules are correct, and the writers did their jobs.

In which case they choose to define certain armors as metal, and others as not.

That is all we have to go on with our limited descriptions, it is the strongest argument that the rules provide us. I think there are lots of other reasonable interpretations...but this one is closest to the literal words on the page.

Oofta

Legend
Because we are going as RAW as possible, we are are going old school 3e rules lawyering.

The word metal is not defined specifically and is not a keyword anywhere (which would be the best finding).

We go to the next tier, descriptions. Most armors do in fact literally say the word metal in their descriptions...the actual word. They don’t imply, they state.

Ring mail does not. It’s that simple. Now could it simply be an oversight? Of course. But since we have both a class restriction and a spell restriction (heat metal), we have to assume that the word metal is not arbitrary and start with the basis that the rules are correct, and the writers did their jobs.

In which case they choose to define certain armors as metal, and others as not.

That is all we have to go on with our limited descriptions, it is the strongest argument that the rules provide us. I think there are lots of other reasonable interpretations...but this one is closest to the literal words on the page.

The PHB is not a technical document. The rules don't state what a longsword is made of, yet unless it's specifically stated otherwise I'm going assume Heat Metal would work on it. Many, many things are left to common knowledge.

I don't like rules weasels. I would call it out at the table, I'll call it out in a forum. Since this is in response to someone playing AL I'm just letting the OP know how I would respond. It may vary in your home campaign, but I'd call BS.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The PHB is not a technical document. The rules don't state what a longsword is made of, yet unless it's specifically stated otherwise I'm going assume Heat Metal would work on it. Many, many things are left to common knowledge.

I don't like rules weasels. I would call it out at the table, I'll call it out in a forum. Since this is is in response to someone playing AL I'm just letting the OP know how I would respond. It may vary in your home campaign, but I'd call BS.

Yeah.

This is the same argument that says a candle doesn't need to be lit in order to provide light because the entry doesn't say so.

MGibster

Legend
Is it? The wiktionary definition and wikipedia page for "rivet" don't include a single instance of the word "metal".

Try Merriam-Webster or some other dictionary. A rivet is made by pressing a rod of metal so hard it forms a head. You can't do that with bone, wood, or stone without the aid of magic which, as you pointed out, certainly means it's possible in a fantasy setting.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
1) By RAW, the player says what their character attempts to do (PHB p.6). By RAW, I can't find anything to suggest that the DM can control a PC's actions (while certain effects may allow an NPC to control another character's actions, that's not quite the same). So your druid could certainly attempt to wear metal armor.

2) If there is a chance of failure, the DM calls for an ability check (PHB p.174; see also, [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION]'s Ph.D. thesis, Adjudicating Actions). It's hard to see how the druid would face any physical chance of failure putting on armor. But some DMs might rule that when a character attempts to do something against their alignment, bonds, ideals, etc., that the character needs to make a Wisdom check in order to force themselves to do it. However, I would argue that this violates point #1, above: the failure condition suggests that the DM, not the player, is saying what the character will attempt. That is, if a die roll represents a PC struggling against themselves, then they are both attempting to wear the armor and attempting NOT to wear the armor, and that second attempted action came from the DM, not the player. One could argue that the player did, in fact, announce an attempt to not wear metal armor when they chose the druid class, but that denies a player's right to change their mind, and at some point that line of reasoning will devolve into pure silliness.

3) Nor can I find anything to suggest that the DM fiat can spontaneously cause class features to stop working, which is another common response to a druid's attempt to wear metal armor. Obviously a DM can override RAW; but for that statement to make sense, it implies that there are things the DM can't do according to RAW (see D. Vincent Baker's Ph.D. thesis, Apocalypse World).

4) You know what the DM does control? THE ENTIRE REST OF THE MULTIVERSE (DMG p.1-320). So if a DM has an issue with a druid player wearing metal armor, they could control the reaction of NPCs, creatures, and even the natural world. Maybe animals shun the druid, and plants begin to wither in their presence. Maybe other druids are hostile and attack the apostate. Eventually, powerful fey or elementals or primordials might show up to eliminate the corrupt metal-wearing druid. Some DMs might use these techniques in a heavy-handed way to enforce their view on their players. But other DMs might mine it for rich story-telling potential. That's a matter of DM personality and is beyond the reach of RAW.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
As I've heard, since I don't actually play AL, Sage Advice is NOT official for AL, even JC's twitter and other stuff, only errata. This makes a level of sense, because DM's don't have to keep up with the latest "ruling," especially if/when JC changes his mind on twitter. However, I believe that it would be wise for AL to make their own interpretation of common issues, and institute them league wide.

It's not official for AL because there is one official rule for AL - the DM decides, like always. But it can be persuasive in making your case to the DM, which is what's being asked for. Which is why I said it's as official as you can get (without being official).

There is no official AL list of decisions and I think it would be a bad idea for there to be one, for this particular type of edition. The DM needs to make a call. That's how this edition is intended to function, and that should not change just because it's at an AL game. It's not Magic, the Gathering. These are not competitive tourneys.

Remove ads