D&D Movie/TV Rawson Thurber will write and direct the D&D TV Series!

But when I say 5+ years ago, I don't mean the structure in that broad sense (as you point out, that's far more ancient than 5 years, and I'm not a 20-something who thinks everything just happened just now lol), I mean the plot and dialogue. To me it seemed dated and clumsy, and barely being kept alive by the stars and action.
A lot of the dialogue is improv, so you can't separate it from the stars. And the plot is obviously hackneyed - no one, not even the people making the film would try to claim otherwise. Because the plot doesn't matter. Which is true for D&D adventures as well.

A lot of the dialogue is improv, so you can't separate it from the stars.
Ok now I want to know more. Is this actually a thing specific to Red Notice because I'm not buying Rock or Gadot improv'd a ton of that dialogue without at least an interview involving them saying that. Reynolds... maybe. He's a very experienced comedy actor and a writer himself. If you're just trying to claim most movies have a lot of improv'd dialogue, then I er respectfully disagree.

Re: hackneyed not mattering to adventures, I tend to broadly agree, I just don't know if that would apply as much for a TV show. /shrug

Ok now I want to know more. Is this actually a thing specific to Red Notice because I'm buying Rock or Gadot improv'd a ton of that dialogue without at least an interview involving them saying that. Reynolds... maybe. He's a very experienced comedy actor and a writer himself. If you're just trying to claim most movies have a lot of improv'd dialogue, then I er respectfully disagree.
No, I've seen interviews about this film discussing the improv. Reynolds* took the lead of course, but Gadot is a proper actor, and all actors train in improv (then don't get to use their leet skills in scripted drama), and as for the Rock, professional wrestling is an improv performance.

Which may be the main reason why this director was selected for this project...

*One notable instance was Reynolds whistling the Raiders theme, then they had to go and beg John Williams for permission to use it.

No, I've seen interviews about this film discussing the improv. Reynolds* took the lead of course, but Gadot is a proper actor, and all actors train in improv (then don't get to use their leet skills in scripted drama), and as for the Rock, professional wrestling is an improv performance.

*One notable instance was Reynolds whistling the Raiders theme, then they had to go and beg John Williams for permission to use it.
Fair enough, and interesting! :)

Okay now I have to watch this movie.

I have read WotC's plan is no world to be the default setting but all the D&D multiverse.

Some time Greyhawk will be necessary to avoid a saturation of FR.

And my theory is 2022 will be a year with lots of radical changes about merger and adquisitions in the entertaiment industry, and this will affect many franchises. Even Hasbro could become the onwer of new franchises.

I have read WotC's plan is no world to be the default setting but all the D&D multiverse.

Some time Greyhawk will be necessary to avoid a saturation of FR.

And my theory is 2022 will be a year with lots of radical changes about merger and adquisitions in the entertaiment industry, and this will affect many franchises. Even Hasbro could become the onwer of new franchises.
You don't need two different flavours of vanilla. Adventures will either be in GenericFantasyland or places far more weird and exotic.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases