Ray Winninger comments on the OGL

Reynard

Legend
Considering that all of Foundry VTT's support for D&D and OGL content is created and developed by 3rd-part creators, I wonder how this will play out for them.
Based on the leaked draft, Foundry is in the worst place if they don't have the same kind of direct deal with WotC that FG and Roll20 do.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Based on the leaked draft, Foundry is in the worst place if they don't have the same kind of direct deal with WotC that FG and Roll20 do.
I just don't get it, though, considering that there's no 1st-party Foundry support for D&D/OGL games. I could see going after the 3P creators of game system modules, but Foundry itself?

Reynard

Legend
I just don't get it, though, considering that there's no 1st-party Foundry support for D&D/OGL games. I could see going after the 3P creators of game system modules, but Foundry itself?
But if the new OGL stands and says "no VTTs" then Foundry is probably going to have to take that stuff off their service, I would think.

Thomas Shey

Legend
But if the new OGL stands and says "no VTTs" then Foundry is probably going to have to take that stuff off their service, I would think.

Depends how its being put on it; keep in mind Foundry is hosted by the user, not a central server. I don't know how system support is managed, but if its done by using files at the user's end, hard to see how they'd have any real obligation to do anything about it.

Haplo781

Legend
Depends how its being put on it; keep in mind Foundry is hosted by the user, not a central server. I don't know how system support is managed, but if its done by using files at the user's end, hard to see how they'd have any real obligation to do anything about it.
Foundry won't be able to officially host the files but that won't stop people from distributing them over, say, Discord.

Tazawa

Adventurer
No. You don’t need to buy the VTT support to play the game. You can run any RPG on any VTT just fine. All the official bells and whistles and art assets are helpful extras, not necessary components.

More than just helpful extras. The free SRD content on Roll20 makes it much much easier to play 5e. It would be too much work for me to do it without it.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
More than just helpful extras. The free SRD content on Roll20 makes it much much easier to play 5e. It would be too much work for me to do it without it.
What work? You just click to roll the dice and handle everything analog like you would at the table. A character sheet that automatically calculates things and has a button to press to roll this skill or that attack absolutely is a helpful extra.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases