WotC Ray Winninger Is Head of D&D RPG Team; Mike Mearls No Longer Works on RPG

People have been wondering where Mike Mearls has gone for quite some time. It seems that he has not been working on the D&D tabletop RPG since some time last year, and the new head of the team and Executive Producer is Ray Winninger. Winninger is an RPG industry veteran. Amongst other things, he was co-designer of DC Heroes and Torg, and wrote the Dungeoncraft column for Dragon Magazine. He...

People have been wondering where Mike Mearls has gone for quite some time. It seems that he has not been working on the D&D tabletop RPG since some time last year, and the new head of the team and Executive Producer is Ray Winninger.

Winninger is an RPG industry veteran. Amongst other things, he was co-designer of DC Heroes and Torg, and wrote the Dungeoncraft column for Dragon Magazine. He has worked at a number of RPG companies including TSR, Mayfair Games, West End Games, and more.

Ray_Winninger_at_MIX08_2_crop.jpg

Winninger is Chris Perkins' and Jeremy Crawford's boss. And in further comments, Chris Perkins says that Mike Mearls has not been part of the tabletop RPG team since some time last year.

That explains why Mearls' Twitch shows, like Happy Fun Hour, have disappeared. Although he's made a couple of retweets since, his last tweet on Twitter was February 13th, 2019. He still works at WotC on the D&D brand in some capacity, but not the tabletop RPG itself (he did an interview about Baldur's Gate 3 on Polygon last year).

Ray Winninger introduces himself in the latest issue of Dragon+, WotC's online magazine. "My name is Ray Winninger and I’m the new Executive Producer in charge of the Dungeons & Dragons studio at Wizards of the Coast. In just a few months on the job, I’ve already been impressed by the skills and the passion of the designers, artists, editors, and production staff who bring you our terrific D&D products. They are a uniquely talented group, and it is an honor to work alongside them."

gyor

Legend
So the consumer shouldn't get to decide anything? Great! I agree with you!

The consumer did not decide this though, the company did.
So the consumer shouldn't get to decide anything? Great! I agree with you!

The consumer did not decide this though, the company did.

WTFA, I really think you got what I wrote at all, but that is fine. It's time to move on, before I get in crap from Morrus. Why can't anyone catch a hint and move on, to back on topic.

teitan

Legend
So Ray is solid. He’s designed a lot of great games like DC Heroes and that line was also well known for some fantastic sourcebooks. I think we will see a continuation of adventures and what’s worked and considering his willingness to experiment, some more experimental stuff as well so we may see Dark Sun yet but I also see him trying to more intimately tap D&D history to carry that over.

I have mixed feelings about Mearls.

Clearly he effed up with the Zak S situation. He took Zak’s side and bad mouthed the people sharing their stories of problematic interactions with Zak. And shared their emails with Zak, allowing him to harass them in retaliation for speaking out against him.
But he also cut ties with Zak in 2014, apparently having learned his lesson and realizing his mistake. WotC never worked with him again. And we’re uncertain if he shared email addresses out of malice, or just negligence being unaware of what a dumpster fire ZS was. (Not being aware of how internet bullying work, it’s easy to imagine him not redacting email addresses or metadata.)

I was super hard on Mearls in 2019 for his part in the Zak affair when it came out Zak was also a sexual predator.
But then I realized I was bullying Mearls and part of an angry internet mob and pulled back. I don’t like being part of a mob.
Plus... everyone deserves a second chance. Mearls effed up, but as long as he learned from that and didn’t make the same mistake again I think I’m okay with him. And it really seemed like Mearls realized he had goofed by trusting Zak.

Still... too late now. It seems like WotC quietly moved Mearls to another less public position and brought someone else in.

gyor

Legend
So Ray is solid. He’s designed a lot of great games like DC Heroes and that line was also well known for some fantastic sourcebooks. I think we will see a continuation of adventures and what’s worked and considering his willingness to experiment, some more experimental stuff as well so we may see Dark Sun yet but I also see him trying to more intimately tap D&D history to carry that over.

I'm curious what you mean by "trying to intimately tap D&D history to carry that over"?

teitan

Legend
I'm curious what you mean by "trying to intimately tap D&D history to carry that over"?

He worked on DC Heroes which was well known for how well it captures the DC Universe in its source material, they were so well done that DC themselves used them as references for their comic books. I think that tells us he has a respect for history and lore and how to turn that into a good product. Essentially I think we will see products that develop classic settings a little more in depth than we have so far, as far as say, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance & other classic settings are concerned. If he gets them off the ground that is. Essentially building off what came before to make something new, yet iconic.

Plus... everyone deserves a second chance.

In general terms, there are some things that are done that should mean the guilty party never gets a second chance, but that is what lifetime prison terms are for or legal decisions that are supposed to prevent a predator from ever again being near their chosen prey.

But on a lighter note, since Ray is back with WotC, he obviously deserved a second chance to work on D&D again. So let's hope this time around, he will be in charge of a lot of good things happening. :)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have mixed feelings about Mearls.

Clearly he effed up with the Zak S situation. He took Zak’s side and bad mouthed the people sharing their stories of problematic interactions with Zak. And shared their emails with Zak, allowing him to harass them in retaliation for speaking out against him.
But he also cut ties with Zak in 2014, apparently having learned his lesson and realizing his mistake. WotC never worked with him again. And we’re uncertain if he shared email addresses out of malice, or just negligence being unaware of what a dumpster fire ZS was. (Not being aware of how internet bullying work, it’s easy to imagine him not redacting email addresses or metadata.)

I was super hard on Mearls in 2019 for his part in the Zak affair when it came out Zak was also a sexual predator.
But then I realized I was bullying Mearls and part of an angry internet mob and pulled back. I don’t like being part of a mob.
Plus... everyone deserves a second chance. Mearls effed up, but as long as he learned from that and didn’t make the same mistake again I think I’m okay with him. And it really seemed like Mearls realized he had goofed by trusting Zak.

Still... too late now. It seems like WotC quietly moved Mearls to another less public position and brought someone else in.

I think Mearls made big, serious mistakes in handling the interactions around Zak S and some other public issues. Here, the punishment seems to fit the crime: not handling public interactions anymore.

It's too bad, since I enjoyed a lot of his design talk, but he was out of his depth with that sort of thing.

Remove ads

Remove ads