D&D 5E Ray Winninger mentions third project!

WotC's Ray Winniger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September. A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year. Yes...
WotC's Ray Winninger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September.

A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year.

Yes, WILD BEYOND THE WITCHLIGHT is the [Chris Perkins] story product I referenced in our dev blog. STRIXHAVEN is [Amanda Hamon's] project. We have not yet announced [James Wyatt's] project, which releases between WITCHLIGHT and STRIXHAVEN.

Why did we announce STRIXHAVEN so early? Pretty simple--there was no way to release the STRIX-related Unearthed Arcana without letting the cat out of the bag.

You'll learn a lot more about all of these products at D&D Live on G4, July 16 and 17. And yes, there is still a little surprise or two ahead.

Jaeger

That someone better
Dragonlance is very possible in this or the next year

I don't see it.

After WOTC's recent legal back and forth with Hickman and Weis; all I think DL fans are getting will be the new novels.

Worth remembering that Hickman and Weiss were the ones who approached and got the license for the books from WOTC, because they wanted to do new books. Not the other way around...

IMHO the books would have to sell exceptionally well for WOTC to take notice and do 5e DL content.

I still

I still think it's going to be a FR setting book, but I've made my peace with the fact that everyone thinks I'm crazy for that.

FR is the most popular setting. And WOTC is pushing the Drizzt button pretty hard.

I don't think a full on setting book is out of the question at all.

doing it well would be enjoyable, we might finally learn how to do monk properly.

It still mystifies me how the Monk character class is still a thing after all the recent kerfuffle over the out of print Oriental Adventures.

Every charge leveled at the 1e Oriental Adventures book applies just as much to the Monk character class.

Yeah I saw that data. The data they don’t release would be more telling than what they do. How many people completed that survey and how representative is it of the people who buy their products?

This. The data only captured those who engage regularly on the website.

Lots of books have been sold to active groups that don't follow the latest news to that degree.

I wonder if WoTC would consider letting Goodman Games convert Greyhawk like they have the OAR modules. That seems the best fit and path forward for Greyhawk.
+1

This would be the best thing to do.

Greyhawk is too medieval fantasy similar to the FR and I just don't think that WOTC wants to compete with itself that way.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'll co-opt a famous film phrase: "We're going to need a bigger book." I mean, that is do-able, but two things come to mind: One, as I said above, because the planes are new to most fans, I think a gentler on-ramp would be necessary - a guided adventure on how to explore the possibilities of planar adventuring. Two, if you were to get all of the above into a 300-page book, it would either cut a lot out or give only brief overviews of planes which, combined with my previous sentence, would make the planes rather hard to get into for many.

At the least I think two books are necessary: an adventure starting in the Realms, and a Planescape/Manual of the Planes. if I were to guess, that's how I think WotC will do it. My earlier post of a four-book release was more wishful thinking, but I do think we'll see at least two books.
They already have a robust Planar Gazayeer in the DMG, including Sigil, so it's not all that new. Just expand that material by a certain factor, and that should do. Similar to Ravenloft or the ForgottenRealms, people who want more have the DMsGuold.

I don't see it.

After WOTC's recent legal back and forth with Hickman and Weis; all I think DL fans are getting will be the new novels.

Worth remembering that Hickman and Weiss were the ones who approached and got the license for the books from WOTC, because they wanted to do new books. Not the other way around...

IMHO the books would have to sell exceptionally well for WOTC to take notice and do 5e DL content.

FR is the most popular setting. And WOTC is pushing the Drizzt button pretty hard.

I don't think a full on setting book is out of the question at all.

It still mystifies me how the Monk character class is still a thing after all the recent kerfuffle over the out of print Oriental Adventures.

Every charge leveled at the 1e Oriental Adventures book applies just as much to the Monk character class.

This. The data only captured those who engage regularly on the website.

Lots of books have been sold to active groups that don't follow the latest news to that degree.

+1

This would be the best thing to do.

Greyhawk is too medieval fantasy similar to the FR and I just don't think that WOTC wants to compete with itself that way.

Yes thank you, finally someone who gets it!

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics

a mix of it being made standard in 3e and that if they removed it in this climate there would be a riot both from its few fans and the fact they would be literally removing the only non-euro fantasy class twitter would go like a bonfire on it for at least a week.
I just want it to be all it was meant to be and work properly as it does have a nice concept it is just lost under lack of knowledge on proper sources and messed stuff from past eddtions.

Staffan

Legend
The problem with Planescape is that it's really two settings:

1. The meta-setting of the Planes, which would be useful to DMs wanting to take their prime campaigns on a ride when they hit the high levels.

2. The city of Sigil, which is a real curious mix of wonder and grubbiness á la Ankh-Morpork.

The Planes are kinda cool, although I'm not a fan of the Great Wheel cosmology (I much prefer the thought that went into the Eberron orrery or the simplicity/flexibility of the World Axis to the box-checking of the Great Wheel). Sigil is awesome and a neat way of anchoring low-level characters in a planar context. But I think Sigil makes the Planes too mundane. When you got spined devils as working stiffs grabbing a pint, they sort of lose the context of being damned souls who crawled their way up out of the mass of lemures to the position they hold now.

Remove ads

Remove ads