• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ray Winninger mentions third project!

WotC's Ray Winniger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September. A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year. Yes...

WotC's Ray Winninger has confirmed that another D&D release, by James Wyatt, will be released in between Witchlight (September) and Strixhaven (November). Strixhaven was Amanda Hamon's project, while Witchlight is Chris Perkins'. That assumes he's not referring to the Feywild accessory kit in September.

A lot of people are asking Qs about the [D&D] releases for the rest of this year.

Yes, WILD BEYOND THE WITCHLIGHT is the [Chris Perkins] story product I referenced in our dev blog. STRIXHAVEN is [Amanda Hamon's] project. We have not yet announced [James Wyatt's] project, which releases between WITCHLIGHT and STRIXHAVEN.

Why did we announce STRIXHAVEN so early? Pretty simple--there was no way to release the STRIX-related Unearthed Arcana without letting the cat out of the bag.

You'll learn a lot more about all of these products at D&D Live on G4, July 16 and 17. And yes, there is still a little surprise or two ahead.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
But why? I'm sorry, but this is all mostly wish-fulfillment for fans of these settings. I could see them doing Greyhawk as the iconic old school setting, but Mystara? I just don't see it happening, except as either within a Worlds of D&D book or maybe by a third party. Mystara doesn't add anything new to the 5E's thematic coverage, except for elves with mustaches.
Isn't that enough, though?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I play the heck out of 1E oriental adventures to this day. If they would put out a hardback with a badass ninja and samurai and update of that book for 5E with a name other than oriental or Asian to make people happy. I would be buying a minimum of 6 copies to give to my players as a gift. That is my long term players of over 20 year more life 30+. Yes they look forward to Christmas from me.
We already have ninja and samurai (and kensei) in 5e. Other than the player races and monsters, 1e OA has little to add.

Greyhawk's niche is nostologia, not genre, it doesn't have to have a special subgenre like steam punk, to sell it play the this was the first D&D angle. It won't step on FRs toes, because FR's so big GH can't reqch them.
Nostalgia sells old players who have something to be nostalgic about. Doesn’t work as well on younger players who have no fuzzy warm attachments to those names. Hell, I’m in my mid-40s and I don’t even really have strong nostalgia for GH because I only every played like two games set there and neither were very memorable (more a DM issue than the setting itself, but still.)

Would there be a small segment of “I was born in the wrong era and wish I could have played back in the day” kids who would buy it? Sure. But I doubt them plus the old guard would be enough to validate sinking too many resources into it when there’s so much wilder, crazier flavors still untapped, as per my ice cream analogy.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I think the question would be if they are still going to attach alignments to outer planes and keep the "belief-is-reality" element of the setting. Can a city in the outlands still "slip" into a LE plane? That would mean the alignments have a metaphysical reality in the dnd cosmos and are not descriptive. I can't see them doubling down on alignment int his way.
I hope so.
Memetic warfare is actually a thing IRL now, and the entire "philosophers with clubs" angle of the setting where towns flip alliances and slide off into different planes would be the metaphysical conclusion of that.

Remove ads

Remove ads