[RCFG] The Eyes of Mellythese (Playtest)

Redbadge

Explorer
"Your point is a good one, Greyson-sir. I think we will be remembering Angbran-sir's vision talents more readily in the future. Already though, we have lost need of them for now. Nevertheless..."

I begin to search for a sign of egress, particularly one that might have been used by our precursors, perhaps a dangling vine, visible roots along the walls of the hole, or readily available handholds.

Raven Crowking

First Post
As you suspected, there are handholds carved into the wall at one point. They are not immediately obvious, but they are there, and they offer a sure way to climb the wall.

Redbadge

Explorer
Palamon motions to the handholds, allowing whichever of his allies be bravest or surest to climb first, unless any are inclined to turn back and explore a previous route.

"If you are the one to be ascending first, Greyson-sir, please allow me to be holding your torch. Unless our halfling comrade is eager to be scrambling up initially, perhaps?"

Redbadge

Explorer
....a dropped silver coin, heavy and of foreign mint.

The tunnel ends in a sink hole, with the island’s surface some 25 feet above the floor of the cave.

Lest I forget to mention it, this coin made it to my pocket, to be appraised later, unless another lays claim to having picked it up first.

Walking Dad

First Post
John Greyson

John gives the sorcerer a wiry smile... and the torch and starts to climb carefully up the wall.

OOC: Climb is +3. Would be taking 10 enough?

Raven Crowking

First Post
OOC: Climb is +3. Would be taking 10 enough?

Easily. Although the hand-holds were not obvious, they are sure and easy to grip, making the climb child's play to anyone who is careful and not heavily burdened.

You come up through a sinkhole about 1,500 yards from the coast (west of you). To the north, a wood grows roughly about the same distance away. A narrow footpath leads to the east.

It seems as though much of the island is like a sunken basin, or a great shallow bowl, so that the island seems to slope gradually toward the center. Although there are signs that the isle was once cultivated -- wild carrot grows here, and gnarled apple trees, the areas is largely overgrown with scrub plants. If you follow the path, it seems likely that the wood will closely approach your left side after about 20 minute's walk. You can see another line of trees much farther to the south.

Redbadge

Explorer
Palamon follows the others up to join John on the surface, necessarily discarding the torches before climbing.

I take a long look around at the new scene, and sigh under my breath "More choices, yes?"

Thinking of the quest that brought me to this place, I wonder if there is anything else I know or may have overlooked with regards to Romana Island, and the legend of the Eyes of Mellythese.

Failing that, Palamon awaits for his companions to choose to follow the obvious path, or to engage some alternative route.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Scarven wonders at the odd island as he takes in the sights around him. He isn't much on decision making as he believes one way is as good as another and all ways will be explored eventually.

So holding his tongue the halfling warrior keeps his axe in hand and his eyes and ears open while the others discuss what to do.

[sblock=OOC] Been going over the rules and I have made the adjustments. Went from having one +4 stat and a couple +1 stats to having only one +3 stat and the rest zero. :confused: I guess it's good that one stat is DEX lol.

Saw a lot of see page xxx to xxx. Or Appendix xxx. Guess this was due to not knowing the page at the time it was written. Still need to finish the skills but shouldn;t be to hard just take a while as 4th o' July weekend is upon me.[/sblock]

Raven Crowking

First Post
Except that the Eyes are hidden on the island, no one knows where they lie. The island itself was once held by the Lords of Mul, who tilled its soil and had a tower here somewhere. There is no tower you can see from your vantage point, however.

Mellythese, the Great Spider, is the Goddess of Spiders, Treachery, Venom, and Deceit. She is depicted as a gigantic black and red spider with cunning, evil eyes. She is worshiped by the treacherous, by those bent to evil in their quest for vengeance, and by magicians who are seduced by the false lure of easy power. Her temples are in dark, hidden places.

Redbadge

Explorer
OOC: RCK, could you give us a crude map of our options, so we can better see what our options entail. Thanks. Also, you say the eastward path would take 20 minutes to come close to the woods. About how long do you think it would take to transverse the roughly 1500 yards if we went straight from here to the wood?

Remove ads