[RCFG] The Eyes of Mellythese (Playtest)

Redbadge

Explorer
The sorcerer arches one of his long black eyebrows, "As you wish."

As we wait for our friends to arrive, which I think is a few more minutes yet, I'll go ahead and casually pull out the foreign coin we found earlier, in order to examine it more carefully. I'm trying to determine which country or region its from, how old it might be, and how much its worth.

Raven Crowking

First Post
The silver coin is old and tarnished, and you do not recognize its make. It is about five times as heavy as the silver coins you are used to, and seems to be of pure metal, as far as you can tell.

The voices from the south quiet down after a bit. The sun is still hiding between grey clouds, but the birds are singing here and there, and the flies are buzzing. You wait maybe 15 minutes before you see the tops of the other folks' heads, and then you see the men themselves.

The leader is a lean man with a great mane of shaggy black hair and a large black beard. He wears a green robe with an embroidered wolf stitched into the left side, rampant with red tongue lolling, in black thread. There is a quarterstaff in his right hand.

The three men with him wear studded leather armour, and have longswords sheathed in their belts. One of these men is bald, another blonde, and the third a younger man, freckled and ginger-haired.

As their Perception save (as a Free Reaction) below shows, they are unaware of you for the moment, the armoured men sharing a jest between themselves at the youngest's expense. They are about 500 yards away when they come into view.

RULES: At this point, you have the drop on these men. Should you choose, you can attack with a +4 bonus to hit. You do an additional die damage if you hit, and you can sacrifice 2 of your weapon skill ranks to do yet another die of damage. You can also use the drop to draw a bead to gain these bonuses with an attack, but the longer you hold the drop, the more chance they have to avoid it.

These men also have 50% cover from the stone wall (+4 to AC), which would help them break the drop (+2 bonus to their check), if you decided to draw a bead. You also have 50% cover from them, although you can see no missile weapons.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
OOC: Yes the rules I have seem to be missing combat and skills sections. Is that suppose to be the case?

Scarven is no coward to attack when someone isn't looking, unless he knows that someone deserves it. Since he doesn't know these men he waits hand axe in hand.

Redbadge

Explorer
I'll put the coin away and keep my spear readied, though it seems we'll have to forgo our element of surprise this time. I nudge one of the others, "Does anyone want to be hailing them before they spot us, so that they know that we do not attempt to ambush them?"

Raven Crowking

First Post
Assuming everyone has had a chance for input if they want it.

The other group moves along the road, become aware of your party about 300 yards away. They are visibly startled at first -- the men in studded leather step forward, going for their swords -- but then the shaggy man with the quarterstaff waves them back.

"Greetings," he calls out, "and well met on the road. This is a lonely spot! Who do you be, and what do you here?"

Redbadge

Explorer
I call back, "Greetings returned, sir. We find ourselves disadvantaged that you are asking about us first, since our questions for you are the same."

"Nevertheless... I call myself Palamon, and you are welcome to do the same."

Raven Crowking

First Post
The man grins -- you can see his teeth flash in his thick black beard.

"I am called Le Loup. And these, my men" -- he indicates the three in leather armour -- "you may know as Mather, Tomkin, and Robert."

Mather is the bald one, Tomkin blond, and Robert ginger.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Scarven Halfshield," the halfling says after a moment. He holds his axe nonchalantly but still doesn't put it away. "You been here on this island for very long?"

Remove ads