[RCFG] The Eyes of Mellythese (Playtest)

Redbadge

Explorer
"I find that paths usually have something at the end of them. Thus, my vote is to also enter the wood. Besides, I'm inclined to be walking under the scant shelter of the trees. It may keep us a bit drier, yes, since I suspect it might be raining shortly."

I nod at Le Loup, then address the blond man casually, perhaps with a bit of a defiant smile, "By-the-by, Tomkin-sir, which way would you go, suspecting smugglers as you do?"

Raven Crowking

First Post
"Well," he says, with a quick glance at the frowning Le Loup, "it seems to me that the land goes down there to the east, and up a bit through the woods. I imagine it's going to get rocky to the north, and I don't know that I'd be burying treasure anywhere that I'd have to work hard at it." He nods at Le Loup. "Begging your pardon, Sir," he says.

"A tower once stood on this island," says Le Loup. "Would you build that on stone or where the land dips down?" He brightens suddenly. "But perhaps Tomkin is right. You should go with him to the east, while I go north. We can meet here, and report back what occurred."

Redbadge

Explorer
Palamon nods. "This is agreeable to me. Shall we be wanting to maintain equal numbers in our groups? If so, one of our party may go along with Le Loup, yes? If this is not necessary, let us depart at once. Lead on Tomkin-sir."

Raven Crowking

First Post
If you want to send someone with Le Loup, let me know. Otherwise, you head eastward through the scrub. Before a few minutes have passed, though, you discover a broken shovel with a rusted and damaged blade, thrown into the brush. Obviously, others have passed this way before.

Redbadge

Explorer
While the others begin their search, I turn to Tomkin, trying to befriend him and pry loose any information he might be holding. "Now that we are away, Tomkin-sir, will you talk with me?"

Assuming he agrees, I ask him a few questions while we explore. I'll be willing to answer any questions he might have as well. These are some of the things I wish to say during our conversation, should the appropriate opportunities arise:

"Please, tell me about your comrades, and if you are obliging, yourself. What do you do, where do you come from, and how did you come to be arriving on Romana Island?... Do you follow the Le Loup-sir?... Why? Is he trustworthy?... Shall we be turning back to follow him?... I see you are independent, with an air of wisdom about you. No doubt you are a fine sword, as well, yes... We value your knowledge in these matters highly, and should you be answering honestly, I will endeavor to be a great friend to you."

OOC: I presented my conversation all at once, rather than post-by-post discussion with the DM-as-Tomkin because I didn't want to take up several posts and a lot of time, when I can present my intended goal with one. If you think it would be better to just hold the conversation post-by-post, I'll do so. If that's the case, just start with the first red sentence.

Raven Crowking

First Post
You skirt the forest, going to the east for about an hour before coming onto another road. This road can take you roughly eastward, toward lower land that shows signs of having once been cultivates, or north into the forest....from the angle of the road, you guess that it would meet the other track you left.

From Tomkin, you learn that he was hired by Le Loup as a man-at-arms in the town of Riverport, although it seems now as though he has known Le Loup forever. Over the course of the conversation, it becomes clear that Tomkin is of the opinion that Le Loup's trustworthiness is beyond reproach, although he is quite friendly to you as well.

As you near the road, you begin to notice areas where digging has occurred, although none of them shows anything of interest to your investigations.

At the road, you can hear digging noises along the eastern way, behind some bushes. The spade strikes the earth with a steady and rythmic thumping, but you cannot see the digger. He or she is about 100 yards away, just off the eastern leg of the road, on the southern side, behind a stand of sumac.

You can see a line of forest far ahead to the east as well, approaching what must be the coast of Romana Island.

Remove ads