[RCFG] The Eyes of Mellythese (Playtest)

Raven Crowking

First Post
"Not long....We were recently dropped on yonder beach." He waves back toward the south. "Again I ask, what do you here? And who are your companions, the other man and the dwarf?"

Redbadge

Explorer
"Though they may speak for themselves, I am not hesitant in introducing Angbran Iron-Nose and John Greyson, two fine sirs. As for our purpose on this island, we are yet debating this amongst ourselves. Perhaps your arrival will help us to discover our true aims, yes? Maybe they are aligned with your own goals, so that we may be helping each other."

Raven Crowking

First Post
"I thank you for your courtesy. Palamon, was it not? As I seem to be doing all of the speaking -- or, at least, all of the telling of tales, why not? I am here to seek out a set of gems hidden somewhere on this isle. You have perhaps heard of them. The Eyes of Mellythese, stolen from the temple of the Spider Goddess herself. If we seek the same thing......well, our resources are better together than apart, and the prize is rich enough for us all." He laughs deeply. "Or so I should imagine. And no reason to come to blows over a thing we've yet to find!" He pauses, and cocks his head. "Unless, of course, you have found what you seek already? If so, no matter....The gems would be yours.....But your saying this now would save me much searching."

Raven Crowking

First Post
Le Loup laughs.

"So," he says, "it seems that our interests do coincide! No man knows where the Eyes were hid, save that they never left this island. And, as I know for a fact that smugglers use this island to cache their stolen goods as well, if we find not the Eyes, still our time may not be of a whole wasted. Yet.....in my bones I feel that the time has come for the Eyes to be found. I do not feel our search will be in vain."

At this point, he begins to move forward again, and the swordsmen follow.

"Then, let us clasp hands. If we are not yet friends, at least we need not yet be enemies."

It is clear to John Greyson and Angbran Iron-Nose that the swordsmen are rabble (1 HD or less), but Le Loup is not. (This means that, should combat break out, both John and Angbran will receive an extra attack against the swordsmen at the end of each round due to their Cut Throught the Rabble ability.)

Redbadge

Explorer
Palamon, not one to trust anyone so easily, especially seekers-of-fortune on a known treasure island, eyes the approaching group carefully. He searches for any tone, inflection, or subtle signs of betrayal from Le Loup, but especially considers the rabble, attempting to note any evidence of underhandedness, perhaps nervous or knowing glances to Le Loup or one another, tight grips on the hilts of their swords, beading sweat on their foreheads, white knuckles assuming they do not wear gloves, or other signs of tension.

Raven Crowking

First Post
They do not seem unduly tense, although they are clearly wary of your party. It is clear also that the others take their cue from Le Loup.

Watching as you do, you note that Le Loup is wearing a golden ring on his left ring finger, formed like twining ivy. He also has a dagger sheathed on his belt, it's ivory hilt, carved to resemble an eagle.

Raven Crowking

First Post
(Since no one commented, I am assuming that Le Loup and the three swordsmen close without incident.)

"Perhaps we could compare notes?" says Le Loup. "Yonder, where we came from, the path split not far from the beach. We took the left-hand fork. The right way led to lower ground.....Either might have been a good choice, but I liked the stone wall.....And it led me to you!"

Raven Crowking

First Post
The blond man-at-arms, Tomkin, says: "Smugglers, mayhap."

Le Loup shoots him an annoyed look, then catches himself, and laughs. "Perhaps. I was going to say much the same myself." He turns back toward your group. "Well, then, if we go together, whither do we go? For my part, I see no reason not to continue as I was, and enter this wood. On the other hand" -- he waves in the direction the path would go, if it continued -- "cross-country, we may find what these smugglers...." (again a glance of annoyance at Tomkin) "....are using to hold their smuggled goods."

Remove ads