[Re-Recruiting] Invasion. Gathering of Heroes (d20 Modern)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I'm trying to get back into the campaigns I was involved in up until a recent family crisis. I'd like to get back into this one, however I had enough difficulty following the plot to this game as it was since most of our characters were all split up. If I were to jump back in, any chance you could give me a short synopsis of what has taken place thus far?

However, if the campaign is going to continue with the characters all doing their own thing, I think I will drop out. I wasn't really enjoying it in that format. It was just too confusing to me.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Well I was hoping that you'll be back sometime! No, players will find each other. Most have already done so. Only Percy remains separated, and your character of course. If you are interested in continue playing this game, I'll place you in a fast forward for you to catch up with all the others, and place you near Percy, since you two are closer than the other group. As I stated when we started, this is mainly player driven, I do give hints and point in certain directions, but it's all on the players at the end.
Tell me what you think, and we'll work something out.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Well it's too hard for me to keep track of multiple storylines and then try, through meta-knowledge, to find an excuse to join up with everyone else, especially given my character's somewhat lowly economic status. So if you can fast forward Waller to a point where he has already or is about to meet Percy and then at least set us on a track to meet the other players, I can take it from there. But I just had too much difficulty keeping track of multiple storylines. My mind doesn't work that way. Intersecting timelines and such make my head hurt. It's the reason I don't like stories with time travel and alternate universes.

Felix1459

First Post
So I take it you don't like movies with intersecting/overlaping plot/timelines? Personally those are some of my favorites. A simple way to handle it is to not think about it and play your character and simply ignore the other posts that don't have anything to do with your character. Soon enough the characters will meet up and you can just keep track of it from there. Just a thought.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
It depends on how it is done. I don't like books with lots of different plots going on that don't really have much to do with each other. Movies and TV shows are a little easier for me to keep track of because I have a good memory for faces. But I still get lost and sometimes have to re-watch parts because I failed to understand what was going on, especially when the camera switches over to a different sub-plot without any warning. This game was a lot like that when I last kept track of it. It was especially difficulty when a player posted without reminding me the name of his/her character. I need more than colored text to remind me which storyline I am supposed to be following with each new post. Anyway, for that reason, I don't watch TV unless I recorded it on DVR. In fact, I had stopped watching television altogether up until DVRs became commonplace. That way I could rewind when I needed to because I had trouble understanding what was going on. I just really have difficulty keeping track of multiple story lines. Like I said, my mind doesn't work that way.

And I tried just keeping track of my own character, but it seemed like Voda was expecting us to read what was going on with the other characters since he said the plot was character driven. To me, that suggested we were supposed to be paying attention to all the sub-plots and find an excuse to meet up. That's all well and good. I won't say that's the wrong way to do things, but it's more trouble than it is worth for me. I wasn't having fun, and if you aren't having fun playing a game, maybe that game is not for you.

I'll see what Voda says.

Voda Vosa

First Post
I was not impling you should read and meta game things to meet each other. I didn't imply you shouldn't either. I just pose problem situations that must be dealt with, and that, depending on the curse of action taken by the character, will take said character closer/farther from the others. Waller could have trusted Larl and the other germans in the truck, and he could have skipped all the persecution and the city escape. Also a character was killed for Waller's desicion, an NPC that belive it or not, was an important link with one of the other characters. You had no way to know that, and it's intentional.
Think it as a DVR, you can rewind as often as you want, and re-read the posts to pay attention to details. Also, it is, at least I hope it is, evindent when I want you to play along with the plot, so don't worry about stepping on my toes. I think your role playing with Waller was exceptional, and I'll like to have him back on track. Perhaps tomorrow I'll post an update including him and a resume of the events so far.

Felix1459

First Post
DVR's are a godsend...I was enjoying reading Wallers adventures and I'm curious to see how all our characters interact when they finally meet. Hope you stick around.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
After having a look at where the game is now, I've decided there is only one way I can do this. I'll just have to pay attention to Waller's part and Waller's part only. It's too much effort to keep scrolling up and down to try to pay attention to one story at a time. Sorry, but it didn't work before and I don't think it will work now. I'll just play this like a solo campaign until I somehow meet up with the rest of the group.

Voda, whenever you post a brief recap of what has happened to Waller I'll resume playing. We could even pick up where we left off if you like. Last I remember Waller was headed into a secret passage beneath the warehouse and he was trying to communicate with someone on the other side.

On another note, I know a lot about history. I majored in History in college. I also know a lot about the world of the 1930s since it was part of my principal focus in my history studies and I read a lot about the era on my own. I realize you are trying to re-write history, and not just by making the period more fantastic. But while I understand that, it is difficult for me to bring myself completely out of the world I know, especially when there are so many similarities to an exciting and tragic period of history that I know and love. So I hope you understand if I play Waller as a historic character. It's much easier for me to put myself in a complete fantasy world with unicorns and wizards where I have no biases than it is for me to put myself in a familiar yet slightly different world and imagine how a character should react. For example, I have no conceptual basis for thinking of Hitler as anything else than pure evil incarnate and would derive no satisfaction from playing a character who was either duped by his charisma or willingly took part in his machinations. So Waller will have nothing to do with him or the Nazi party, even if coerced. Were he actually around in that period, I have no doubt that he would not have survived the many purges of the SS. He's the type of man who is willing to die for his principles. So hopefully Waller's eventual meeting with the rest of the group is not predicated on any kind of cooperation with them or acceptance of their help. I'd rather he find his own way.

Remove ads