• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reaper to produce pre-painted Plastic minis - Non-random

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
rgard said:
You need a large volume of sales to get back the initial cost of setting up production. It's hard to find a grocery store, Walmart, Kmart or Toys R Us that doesn't have gumball machines selling homies. Stocking all of those machines (10 of thousands across the US) means being able to claw back the initial cost of the sculpts, steel molds (metal minis are produced with rubber molds that are significantly cheaper) and software set up to paint the figs.

Really, comparing gumball products to our niche market is not a valid or realistic exercise.

Thanks,
Rich

I can compare gumball products because I have seen homies with better paintjobs and more detail than DDM minis (gnome recruit, im looking at you).

DS

Holy Bovine

First Post
Sabathius42 said:
So why doesn't Reaper sell its cool "action figures" at ToysRUs to open a new retail path? There is no fundamental difference between molding and painting a skeleton as there is to molding a painting a Homie(tm) that I can buy from the bubblegum machine for .50 other than the mini is a little bit bigger. Round up your .50 to 2.00 and there you go.

http://www.streetgangs.com/homies/hoodrats.html

There you go....10 prepainted plastic modern RPG wererats for $8.

DS

You have to be kidding, right? Those are crap. I wouldn't pay 8 cents let alone 8 dollars for that junk.

If that is what to expect by Reaper going into Toys R Us then I am just as happy they don't and the minis cost a $1 more.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Sabathius42 said:
I can compare gumball products because I have seen homies with better paintjobs and more detail than DDM minis (gnome recruit, im looking at you).

DS

Quite possibly you have. I can't think of a single mini from DDM that looks as bad as the ones you linked to for the 'homies'. The gnome recruit? That's from the 2nd set of DDm isn't it? Yeah i would say they have come a loooooooooooooooooooonng way since then.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Kunimatyu said:
Picky picky picky....

$2-2.50 is probably a lot closer to the "real" price of a common miniature when you don't have rares consuming most of the value in a pack.

Man, you don't know what "picky" is. :D "Picky" is wanting the hole that allows the package to hang on the rack to be perfectly centered. Advocating the lowest price possible to the consumer is just smart.

Dragon Snack

First Post
Pics?

These were posted by someone who went to ReaperCon along with a sculpt of Rauthuros (a 4 armed demon that has been delayed for ages)...

RPRppm.jpg

All are sculpts already in use in Reaper's DHL line.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Dragon Snack said:
These were posted by someone who went to ReaperCon along with a sculpt of Rauthuros (a 4 armed demon that has been delayed for ages)...

RPRppm.jpg

All are sculpts already in use in Reaper's DHL line.

Not bad. I'll need to hold them in hand to get a definite opinion, but the pictures look nice.

Gruns

Explorer
Same molds!

Didn't someone mention something about not using the same molds as the metal version? I have the metal version of the Orc with the Spear in the foreground.
At work right now, but I'll post a pic tonight from home. From memory though, it looks identical.
Later!
Gruns

Kae'Yoss

First Post
They said they'd be drawing from the myriad of sculpts they have in the metal line.

They might have to use different molds because of the medium, but that doesn't mean that they can't use the sculpts.

Kris

Adventurer
When I read that skeletons and orcs were going to be included in the first release I was less than enthusiastic about those particular miniatures as I have plenty of orcs and skeletons already (both DDM's and ones I've painted myself).

However now that we have pic's of the prototypes (not the production runs according to the guys over on the reaper forum) I'll probably pick some up.

I have to admit that it will be nice to have a bunch of different pre-painted human skeletons to throw around (not literally) that are all the same size, painted the same quality as each other, and with a matching bone colour (unlike the DDM human skeletons).

And the orc mini's, 3 different sculpts that seem to wearing matching uniforms almost, are also appealing to me right now (especially as they don't appear to be of the 'warlord' style - which is what I had expected).

The large figures look quite cool, though I already have the metal version of the troll - so I doubt I'll pick that one up.

But the future releases do sound interesting... and I'm especially looking forward to seeing the Ettin :)

Remove ads