• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Reasonable Movement and Athletic Feats?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My buddy and I worked out that adding your Strength (Athletics) modifier you your speed is a good baseline for making speed more variable, and if you use an athletics check to multiply your speed by 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6, you get a range from a brisk walk (4mph) to a good 100m sprint time (20-21mph) on a character with 16 strength and a +3 proficiency bonus.

I think maybe thefloor for sprinting should be times 3, tbh. Or, perhaps the above works for when you dash as an action, but a full sprint (cannot do anything but run, no reaction until your next turn), has a higher floor.

Okay, did some math. If sprint adds 10ft to your base speed, it works out. Even doubled is just like, a pretty slow sprint, but 5x is 26mph! Perfect!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
My buddy and I worked out that adding your Strength (Athletics) modifier you your speed is a good baseline for making speed more variable, and if you use an athletics check to multiply your speed by 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6, you get a range from a brisk walk (4mph) to a good 100m sprint time (20-21mph) on a character with 16 strength and a +3 proficiency bonus.

I think maybe thefloor for sprinting should be times 3, tbh. Or, perhaps the above works for when you dash as an action, but a full sprint (cannot do anything but run, no reaction until your next turn), has a higher floor.

Okay, did some math. If sprint adds 10ft to your base speed, it works out. Even doubled is just like, a pretty slow sprint, but 5x is 26mph! Perfect!
Well if you found a system that does what you want, kudos! :)

Xeviat

Hero

Hmmm ... I kind of don't like it being directly tied to Strength, though. I know weight lifters can be very fast if they're training for strength and not for body building, but I feel like there's a reason we see smaller characters as the swift ones in fiction, and why we see lithe runners and bulky weight lifters. I'm not sure of a good way to model that aside from leaving it to players to stay within genres.

But I do like the idea of something boosting base speed. So since it's Athletics modifier, a Str 16 and a +2 mod, or a Str 14 and a +3 mod, nets a +5 speed, but below that only comes into play when multipliers are applied? I kinda like it. I've seen other systems use a combo of Str and Dex to determine speed, which can help with the genre conventions above (High Str, High Dex characters are leaner and faster, High Str, Low Dex characters are bulky and a bit slower).

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
Here’s what I worked out for jumping the last time this came up:

DCrunning horizontal jumpstanding horizontal jumprunning vertical jumpstanding vertical jump
103 feet1 foot6 inches3 inches
156 feet2 feet1 foot6 inches
209 feet3 feet1 foot 6 inches9 inches
2512 feet4 feet2 feet1 foot
3015 feet5 feet2 feet 6 inches1 foot 3 inches
Distances given are in addition to normal jump distance.

Xeviat

Hero
Well, I think the hardest thing is getting a proper balance between accuracy and simplicity.

Following the information on chases, you can dash for 3 rounds + your Constitution modifier. Each round after, you make a DC 10 Constitution check or suffer a level of exhaustion.

Honestly, I think this is too low. First I would increase the number of rounds by your proficiency bonus if you have proficiency in Athletics. Second, I would change it to a DC 10 Constitution (Athletics) check to avoid the level of exhaustion.

Do remember, there are "walking" competitions where people hold what would be move+dash speeds of 6 mph for, like, 8 hours. They're unencumbered and on smooth roads, but "double move" speeds are possible for a really long time. It's what humans are good at. Even I, with my childhood knee problems and my adult foot and knee problems can walk 6 mph for an hour easily.

Xeviat

Hero
Here’s what I worked out for jumping the last time this came up:

DCrunning horizontal jumpstanding horizontal jumprunning vertical jumpstanding vertical jump
103 feet1 foot6 inches3 inches
156 feet2 feet1 foot6 inches
209 feet3 feet1 foot 6 inches9 inches
2512 feet4 feet2 feet1 foot
3015 feet5 feet2 feet 6 inches1 foot 3 inches
Distances given are in addition to normal jump distance.

How would you modify these for Str and Speed?

Hriston

How would you modify these for Str and Speed?
I’m not sure if I understand the question. The DCs given are for a Strength (Athletics) check, so the check result is modified by Strength. Or do you mean for lifting and fast movement? I’d have to think about that, but I’d probably do something similar for lifting more than your limit. I’m not inclined to grant additional movement in combat, however, and outside of combat, I’d probably resolve something like a race with opposed Dexterity checks.

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
I’m not sure if I understand the question. The DCs given are for a Strength (Athletics) check, so the check result is modified by Strength. Or do you mean for lifting and fast movement? I’d have to think about that.

Yeah, since it's an athletics check, it's already modified for Str, somehow I missed that.

But yes, modified for fast movement. Since your growths are linear, having speeds over 30 could grant flat bonuses to your athletics check (clumsy) OR you could work out the multiplier conversions for each of those:

Looks like all of the numbers I pulled for this last time I got the itch to work on it are on my desktop, so I'll have to check in with it later.

Hriston

Yeah, since it's an athletics check, it's already modified for Str, somehow I missed that.

But yes, modified for fast movement. Since your growths are linear, having speeds over 30 could grant flat bonuses to your athletics check (clumsy) OR you could work out the multiplier conversions for each of those:

Looks like all of the numbers I pulled for this last time I got the itch to work on it are on my desktop, so I'll have to check in with it later.
Oh, okay. (Sorry about the cross-editing.) I don’t think I’d want to get that granular. The running jumps require only that you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump, so they aren’t affected by how fast you’re moving. I don’t think I’d want to mess with that.

Remove ads