• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Reasonable Movement and Athletic Feats?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
To be clear, it’s not about simulationsims or whatever.

I just find that creating the world (or part of the world) before taking the PCs into account makes for more improvisation and wild ideas, which I strongly encourage and reward.

doctorbadwolf

If you feel that way, that's fine, but yet the real world metrics are what you want to achieve/surpass in this thread, right?

The delineation is done to separate what each ability score does and how it contributes to the whole in each edition. So, when I see someone argue something should be "this ability score instead of that one, or maybe a choice between the two" more often than not it is because they want to be able to accomplish something without having to devote better scores to another ability score.

Such arguments are why our house-rule is weapon damage is adjusted by STR, never DEX, not even for finesse or ranged weapons. Only monks retain the DEX to damage benefit (a perk of the class), and loading weapons don't get any bonus from STR or DEX. For instance, how many times do we have to show why longbow users certainly required a good deal of strength to employ their bows?

At any rate, it is time for sleep. Obviously you play your game and your table your way, and as you already admitted if for no other reason, for Pete's sake don't use DEX for this stuff as well, it is already an uber-stat.
Like I said, I’m fine with just going with balance.

I just don’t buy the argument that any fast-twitch muscle activity leans toward being a strength activity.

All of it requires both stats, and usually some Con, Wis, and Int.

IMO, it’s best to just focus on what sort of characters should be good at the thing, and go from there.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Like I said, I’m fine with just going with balance.

I just don’t buy the argument that any fast-twitch muscle activity leans toward being a strength activity.

All of it requires both stats, and usually some Con, Wis, and Int.

IMO, it’s best to just focus on what sort of characters should be good at the thing, and go from there.

There are numerous articles online from reliable sources that you can learn about it if you want, such as...

Here are two quotes from one article:

Fast twitch muscles support short, quick bursts of energy, such as sprinting or powerlifting. You can see how they’re meant to function when you compare their design and structure to slow twitch muscles.

and

What are the benefits of fast twitch muscles?

Fast twitch muscles are optimized for short, intense activities, such as:

• sprinting
  • powerlifting
  • jumping
  • strength training
  • agility training
  • high-intensity cycling
  • high-intensity interval training (HIIT)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
In the jumping a gap scenario...

Doing it either descriptively (it is a long jump, it would be hard for you to make it) or specifically (make a Intelligence (Perception) check to determine the distance) or whatever.

Using the RAW jump distance, a STR 15 character could make a running jump of 15 feet. So, if there is a gap that is 15 feet across a 30-foot deep chasm...

Can they jump it? Yes.
Does it call for a ability check? Yes.
What is the DC? Up to the DM, I would make it 20 because the distance is the maximum the character can jump and falling is a very real consequence of failure, so this should be a "hard" task. If a DM made it a 25 for very hard/difficult, I wouldn't object as a player, especially if I barely had enough room for the approach.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Nope. I decide what the world looks like as if the PCs don’t exist. It’s only adventures and such that take into account the PCSs. If a chasm cannot be jumped, they’ll need another way, if it can, cool.

That’s about how I fun my game as well. The difference (apparently) is simply that I don’t take jump distance into account when I decide how far across the chasm is.
Push your thinking on "adventures and such." Shouldn't that include environmental dangers such as hazardous chasms?

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
In the jumping a gap scenario...

Doing it either descriptively (it is a long jump, it would be hard for you to make it) or specifically (make a Intelligence (Perception) check to determine the distance) or whatever.

Using the RAW jump distance, a STR 15 character could make a running jump of 15 feet. So, if there is a gap that is 15 feet across a 30-foot deep chasm...

Can they jump it? Yes.
Does it call for a ability check? Yes.
What is the DC? Up to the DM, I would make it 20 because the distance is the maximum the character can jump and falling is a very real consequence of failure, so this should be a "hard" task. If a DM made it a 25 for very hard/difficult, I wouldn't object as a player, especially if I barely had enough room for the approach.
It would be more appropriate to call for an unskilled Intelligence check when trying estimate the distance needed to jump a gap. Proficiency in Investigation might apply, but Perception is not a measure of reasoning.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It would be more appropriate to call for an unskilled Intelligence check when trying estimate the distance needed to jump a gap. Proficiency in Investigation might apply, but Perception is not a measure of reasoning.

You could run it however you want but of course I disagree. ;)

Since perception is about noticing things, someone who is skilled in it would be a better judge of the distance than someone who isn't. So, I would use Intelligence (Perception) as I said.

doctorbadwolf

There are numerous articles online from reliable sources that you can learn about it if you want, such as...

Here are two quotes from one article:

and
You seem to think I’m making an argument about how muscles work. I’m not.

doctorbadwolf

Push your thinking on "adventures and such." Shouldn't that include environmental dangers such as hazardous chasms?
Why? The PCs can, IME, cross any chasm with enough ingenuity and teamwork. If I put the Grand Canyon somewhere, I won’t make a thin spot just because I want an easier crossing.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
You could run it however you want but of course I disagree. ;)

Since perception is about noticing things, someone who is skilled in it would be a better judge of the distance than someone who isn't. So, I would use Intelligence (Perception) as I said.
"Estimate" is bulleted under Other Intelligence Checks. Something to think about.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads