Spoilers Rebel Moon-my spoiler review

The Soloist

Adventurer
Heh. It’s not as bad as Jaws the Revenge, Highlandsr 2, Star Trek V, Superman IV, most Steven Seagal films, Speed 2, that Vin Diesel witch hunter thing, several Bond films…. I could go on forever.

It’s not good. But it’s not that bad!
Those are bad. You forgot Catwoman with Halle Berry. 😉

Kaodi

Hero
Agreed. People who say this is the worst thing ever have likely never watched anything by Uwe Boll.

I think you and @Morrus have misinterpreted my meaning. I am not saying that I cannot imagine a worse movie. I have seen worse movies, including several by Uwe Boll. Rather I mean I could not have possibly imagined it being worse given 1) that it was big name director Zack Snyder, 2) the amount of money they clearly spent on it, 3) the amount of marketing and hype it was getting, and so on. Or to put it more succinctly it was worse than I could have possible imagined for a movie with all of the things it had going for it to be.

Clint_L

Hero
Zack Snyder has made one decent film, his remake of Dawn of the Dead, which has a brilliant cold open followed by 90 minutes of acceptable zombie mayhem and two fantastic lead performances from Sarah Polley and Ving Rhames.

Otherwise, he's like a car commercial guy who somehow keeps getting massive movie budgets handed to him. Zero subtlety, and stories that just don't make sense. He basically lifts scenes from other, better directors, lines them up, and calls it a day. So there was never any chance of this being good.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Otherwise, he's like a car commercial guy who somehow keeps getting massive movie budgets handed to him. Zero subtlety, and stories that just don't make sense. He basically lifts scenes from other, better directors, lines them up, and calls it a day. So there was never any chance of this being good.
His direction is just fine, if somewhat stylised and heavily taste-dependent (for example I can't stand anime, stylwise, but I wouldn't say it's bad). You like the style or you don't, but he does a thing and does that well. I'm OK with it.

It's the writing--when you refer to lifting scenes, it's the writing. If somebody else does the writing it's generally much better. I liked Watchmen, 300, and MoS. All of those were written by somebody else.

But he is a competent director, albeit with a divisive style.

Remove ads