• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rebutting a fallacy: why I await 5e (without holding my breath)

Stormonu

Legend
I think where I fell off the wagon was when I realized that this table-top game was trying more and more to emulate a system better handled by computers.

I think the game needs to back away from the path it is heading and look at better ways to handle the player-DM interaction without all the crazy psuedocode. Leave the number-crunching for the computer games.

We have rules, math and die rolls in this game to resolve one thing - did it work? D&D, as it has become now in both 3.5/Pathfinder and 4E has become too caught up in how you do these things and what happens when you do. It's become a law book of "mother may I*" - a checklist leading up to and following any action you want to perform.

The game needs to be scaled back so we're not inputting in minituea how we do things. Player says he wants to do A. DM tells him what is needed on a roll to do A. If roll succeeds, A happens - without all the technical lingo/rule lawyering that goes with it.

* "Yes, and only on Tuesdays and Thursdays, if you have the feat/power"

Dice4Hire

First Post
I would like to see 5E be, or have a simple game component with lots of room to add on complexity. I 100% agree that players need a simple to play game that is more beer and pretzels level. I have not seen WOTC do something like that in ... well, never.

AeroDm

First Post

Sometimes I like to think of message boards like sci-fi tropes.
Malcolm Reynolds: Getting awful crowded in my sky

On track, I think this is a really neat time in D&D and RPGs in general. The professional designers have educated and introduced their audience to enough variety that people now have a huge range of preferences, knowledge, and gaming foundations. This might not be great for the industry, but it is great for gamers. I'm really excited to see where 5e goes (as well as Pathfinder and every other variant that can trace its roots back to the original TTRPG of D&D).

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I was thinking about 4e the other day. It suddenly occured to me that powers and feats filll the same niche. They allow for cusomization. Feats are usually less powerful and often just add math.

I don't like powers personally but I think 4e would actually be better without feats. I am also not holding my breath for 5e to be what I want from a ttrpg. Mostly because WotC does not understand me.

Greg K

Legend
But I'm not holding my breath. In the meanwhile, I've got my Rules Cyclopedia. (It's a great system for any campaign meant to feel like a "Final Fantasy" game from the NES.) Just recently, I also got my hands on Savage Worlds, and all I can say is... WHOA. MIND BLOWN. I've heard all of the good things about it, but honestly? I had no idea.

That's why I mentioned Savage Worlds in your other thread.

1. It has character creation, but it is fast
2. Combat can be rich and tactical with the various maneuvers, tricks, test of wills, but the mechanics are simple and elegant. rather than hundreds of powers.

(This would be the perfect system for any campaign meant to feel like LotR, or like a "Final Fantasy" game from the PSX.) So I'm covered for a while.

It does a lot more than that! For instance, check out the free Moscow Connection on PEG's site for dialing up the grittiness. Clint Black, the Brand Manager, posted dials that alter incapacitation from cartoon violence to really gritty. It is my understanding that the dials were included in the Deluxe edition either in part or in full.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Why on earth would WotC do something like this when all of the options are already available and in print? I don't know how many old school games have been released in the last year, but I'm certain you can play OE, 1E, Holmes, BECMI, 2E and certainly 3x through games that are out and have filed the serial numbers off.

What I could see, and what they may very likely do is reduce a more basic game aimed at a younger audience. I could see a basic D&D aimed at the 9-12 year-olds that was more kid friendly and didn't have the darker elements that have crept into the game. It would be easier to play than what came out in the Redbox, with a small number of options to work with. Of course with some of the new boardgames that have come out, that may already be the plan.

Remove ads