• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Recommend some books with random charts for D&D (in print > PDF a plus!)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I was just thinking that I want to add some color and potential side trek seeds for my current campaigns as they begin to travel further afield from the small area most of the adventures so far have been taking place - esp. through settled areas. It is easier to come up with evil swamp encounters than it is to come up with "The King's Road" or "On the Outskirts of a City" encounters.

And by encounter, I mean anything worth mentioning as notable to give a sense of place and/or travel.

I'd love a product that has tables for things like "Road Encounters" or "Stalls at the Market" or "Villages Names" or "Weather Events" or "100 Different Farms." It can be system neutral. In fact, I might prefer it to have no crunch at all - though if it does have crunch the closer to 5e or any past D&D edition (except maybe 4th) the better. I also prefer some thing I can buy a print version of - though if it a high enough quality PDF to allow me to print a bound copy at Office Depot or whatever, that would work if not too expensive.

My guess is that with all the 3rd party material out there, stuff like this must exist and I could count on the good folks of ENWorld to save me time by telling me about the ones they find useful. I guess, if I had any other criteria, it'd be that I prefer charts of mundane or low magic things than anything where the ubiquity of magic is assumed or where it serves as commodity/technology - but that if there is some of that in combo with just charts of everyday stuff, that'd be fine.

So whaddya got? Anyone still use random tables?

overgeeked

B/X Known World

The X Alphabet series by Goodman Games. So far it’s Monsters, Dungeons, and Cthulhu.

The Ready Ref Sheets from Judge’s Guild.

This video from Professor DM:

D&D 4E’s Dungeon Delve has some cool locales you can drop anywhere.

There’s also r/d100.

And of course, Worlds Without Number.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus

The X Alphabet series by Goodman Games. So far it’s Monsters, Dungeons, and Cthulhu.

The Ready Ref Sheets from Judge’s Guild.

This video from Professor DM:

D&D 4E’s Dungeon Delve has some cool locales you can drop anywhere.

There’s also r/d100.

Thanks. But none of this seems quite right for my needs.

Quickleaf

Legend
I second World's Without Number (link to free version) – the creating your campaign chapter is bursting with excellent tables. Not "encounter tables" per se (there is a wilderness encounters table), but definitely fuel for the creative process. Very glad I was introduced to it, and can't wait to start using it.

My other two books that I regularly reference for random tables are:

Tome of Adventure Design by Matt Finch (Frog God Games). It's no longer available on DrivethruRPG, so you'll need to track down a physical copy. My favorite part is the section for dungeon creation, but it has a considerable number tables for adventure creation. I adore this book.

Ultimate Toolbox by Jim Pinto (AEG). Pretty sure it's out of print, but the tables are astoundingly comprehensive, and you can whip together a fun side quest with a few quick rolls. The more tables you can bring into the procedural generation, the more interesting this book gets.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Second Raging Swan's stuff: in print+PDF on drivethrurpg.

Ultimate Toolbox is on DTRPG too but only as PDF. The book is expensive second hand, but IMHO worth it.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Second Raging Swan's stuff: in print+PDF on drivethrurpg.

Anything in particular? They have a lot of stuff!

Also I hate to buy anything without being able to see a preview, but I don't see any on their site or DTrpg - but maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads