D&D General Recommendations for a "Witcher" style campaign

der_kluge

Adventurer
I think the monster advice is on point. In fact, I spent some time last night going through the MM and finding monsters that I thought would work well (as-is), and a narrative began to emerge from that.

a spectator (pg. 30) could guard a lair - interesting because it could be described like a beholder

A forest cursed by Blights (pg. 31-32)

Someone is lost and hasn't returned. They encountered a cockatrice (pg. 42), and have been turned to stone

A quasit (pg. 63) - a former familiar to a dead master, the quasit can assume alternative forms and can scare people into thinking it's something greater than it is.

A dryad (pg. 121), having lost her tree (perhaps corrupted by blights) and is now driven into madness.

An ettercap (ettercaps?) (pg. 131) has turned a once pristine forest into a gloomy, webbed nightmare.

A lot of the Witcher lives in this sort of moral grey area. So, a green hag could actually be seen by some of the populace as kind of beneficial person, when of course, she isn't. So, the PCs could align themselves with a green hag in order to get something they need (and of course, if they do something for her, in turn). She could act as a kind of "wise woman" in the area, that preys on the populace, and fills a weird kind of niche.

As for a campaign (or the start of one), I kind of envision some sort of Mage, or something like that, dying, and creating a power vacuum, and chaos in his wake. The quasit could be a former familiar, and he left a spectator to guard something the party might need. Some sort of forest became corrupt - sending the dryad into madness. Ettercaps moved in, and are waging a slow war against the blights.

I really liked the earlier idea of a populace sacrificing pigs to a vampire (a vampire spawn in this case). And for fun, I've included a wereboar, who is obviously very opposed to the idea, and leads wild boars in an attack on the town, in order to stop sacrificing "his kind" to the vampire.

So, it's a fun exercise in constructing stuff in this manner, and I think it could lead to an interesting campaign. I might not run it as a standalone game. Rather, I'm thinking of using some of these ideas later one when my city-based party makes their way into the wilderness, and learns that life outside the gates is really, really harsh. (i.e., you've lived in Oxenfurt your whole life, and have suddenly been displaced to Velen...)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Might this do? Should be releasing in 2021 (hopefully)...

From “Edge Entertainment”, no less! 😂

I wish them all the success, I just had to chuckle at that.

I really like the basic idea of a Witcher style world that gets better over time.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I was thinking about this recently, and I really think that a warlock variant could really kick ass as a witcher.

Maybe an Int based warlock half-caster, with a feature called Eldritch Strike. Instead of having EB available, you get a level 1 feature that allows you to deal 1d8 force damage with your weapons, melee or ranged, using the reach or range of the weapon you're wielding. And you have to be using a weapon, unless you have a feature that gives you a damage die to roll with unarmed strikes.

Then, invocations called Signs could, among other things, modify how Eldritch Strike works, from increased range/reach, to a 10ft cone that pushes enemies back, to whatever else the basic signs do lol.

But the key thing is, Eldritch Strike is just a special attack, not something you do as an action, not a spell, etc. So, you can swing on someone, and then use a sign to blast some foes away from you, or go sword and hand crossbow, etc.

I'd probably give it an AC calculation that doesn't force you into using Dex as a primary stat, something like 10+Int+proficiency bonus. That way you can have buff witchers and fast witchers or whatever, no problem. THe schools make easy subclasses.

Honestly, this also makes a good Jedi chassis....

I really don't want to rebuild my Athamir class from scratch tho...

TheSword

Legend
I would seriously consider using the WFRP rules for a Witcher campaign.

Two new supplements have been released that fix the problems with combat and with spellcasting respectively. And magic in WFRP is almost identical to magic in the Witcher.

The game is very gritty, you use careers not classes and can in theory build a wide variety of character types. It’s a very granular development style. Just a thought.

What about "Symbaroum"?

Or "Trudvang"

TheSword

Legend
What problems are those, and what are the supplements?
The first issue some people had was with Advantage. Saying it was too hard to track and too swingy. In Up In Arms the martial accessory book they released group advantage which which pretty much fixes this issue. It turns advantage into a pool of points which the party can spend for various one off benefits - including getting an extra action, breaking from combat or getting bonuses to a % roll. Good but less overwhelming. The enemy also get a pool.

The edition was also criticized for channelling not being good enough, too dangerous and that it was better to spam dart or bolt rather than pretty much any other spell. Winds of Magic the arcane supplement has fixed this by changing Channelling, giving various additional methods of improving spell casting and changing the way overcasting and damage for spells works, basically putting everything back on the table. It also introduces ritual spells which is so Witcher!

They’re bloody good books. Worth checking out if you like the edition but had concerns about those things.

What about "Symbaroum"?

I picked up Ruins of Symbaroum for 5e and I'm impressed so far. The setting has a very "Witcher" vibe (to me)...in fact, one of the subclasses is basically a Witcher (Witch-hunter, to be precise). It's generally lower magic, without spell slots but with the need to manage Corruption, there's lots of alchemy, lots of ritual and ceremonial magic, the Elder Folk (elves, dwarves, goblins, ogres, trolls) are inhuman and generally don't get along with humans, etc. The rules for characters and magic are a pretty major overhaul, including all new classes and subclasses alongside the setting specific origins (i.e. "races"). I'm not qualified at this point to make any judgments about balance, but my first impression is "martials get a buff and casters get a nerf" compared to core 5e. There's a pretty cool Captain class, and in general, several classes and subclasses have teamwork-oriented abilities/buffs.

ETA: I really like that you get your subclass right at 1st level.

Remove ads