D&D 5E Reconciling the different Magic the Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons Cosmologies

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I am not an expert on the planes of Magic, but my understanding is that individual M:tG worlds can have their own local cosmologies with subplanes (Theros being an example I think). Assuming that I have not go the WEOTS, it makes more sense to me that the the Great Wheel be another such local cosmology within the greater whole rather than the other way around. With TGW being a plane in the Magic sense, and its various components the subplanes.

Also, if there anyone is interested in the Wall of the Faithless, there is a lively debate going on about it on RPGnet right now....

_
glass.
There's always a lively debate about it somewhere.

Dire Bare

Legend
I know folks get geeky about this sort of thing . . . .

But I don't see a need to reconcile the Magic cosmology with the D&D cosmology, even with the two games "crossing the streams" over the past few years.

The cosmologies are different, but similar enough that if you squint . . . . they really aren't all that different. It's the particulars, the small details, where they differ the most . . . and the details are just unimportant to me these days.

When I was younger, it was important for me to figure out how all of the D&D settings fit into the "Great Wheel", despite the tortured explanations of how that worked for some of them (Dark Sun!). Now, I just don't care . . . . .

One of my favorite D&D settings is Planescape, which took the Great Wheel and dialed it to 11. But the Planescape books made the point over and over again that the Great Wheel was just one conception of something that defied easy explanation . . . and now that's my favorite way of looking at the D&D multiverse. And the Magic multiverse, and the DC Comics multiverse . . . .

glass

(he, him)
I know folks get geeky about this sort of thing . . . .

But I don't see a need to reconcile the Magic cosmology with the D&D cosmology, even with the two games "crossing the streams" over the past few years.
Did anyone say their was a "need"? (Maybe they did, I have not checked). Talking and thinking about these things is interesting (for me, anyway, and I assume the rest of the people in the thread)!

_
glass.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Where is that map/image from? I SO want. So much. So badly much alot. And also, why do the dead gods look like a uterus?

I actually don't know the original source... the Dead God looks like it was once a jester, but it does indeed look like a reproductive organ.

Remove ads