[Recruiting] Harry Potter-style d20 Modern

Arani Korden

First Post
I'm planning on starting a d20 Modern game set in a Hogwarts-like magical school. The game would be set in the Urban Arcana setting rather than the universe of the Harry Potter books, but would try to recreate the flavor of the Potter books without necessarily recreating the exact details. I'm actually looking for three different levels of player involvement.

4-6 main cast: These are your basic PCs. They'll be the heroes of the story, and the ones that have the actual adventure. The main cast will be created as first level d20 Modern characters; I'm hopuing for one character from a non (or part) human race, but I'd like all the others to be humans. I will be using the Urban Arcana distinction between normal and Shadowkind humans as a parallel to Rowling's distinction between Muggle-born students and those from Wizarding families. If you're interested in a main cast role, please post stating your interest and if possible a character concept. Full character creation details will be posted once I have a main cast.

An indeterminate number of supporting cast: Since this game will be taking place in a fixed locale with a definite social climate, I'd like to try having casual players take the part of some of the supporting cast. These would be other students attending the same school; the supporting cast would be able to mingle and socialize with the main cast, but not take part in the adventure itself; they also wouldn't be tied to any particualr schedule; if you're in the supporting cast, one post every two months is fine. More often is fine as well. If you are interested in a supporting cast gig at any time, just post a character concept in this thread, and once it's approved by the GM (me), feel free to hang out at the school. be warned that the GM reserves the right to kill off supporting cast members to show how the monster works. (But I'd probably seek permission via e-mail first.)

Occasional guest stars: I'd like to occasionally delegate important NPCs to guest players, whether it's having someone play a Professor at the school who needs to give the main cast an important clue, or having someone else run the monster for a combat. I'll post here when there are vacancies for guest stars; interested parties should reply to me via e-mail.

Shalimar

First Post
I am very interested in this game as I said in the other thread. The character I am looking to play is a human girl with a bit of fey blood in her family tree a generation back. The fey blood wouldn't have any stat effects, it does however cause her to be "small boned" and even more petite then a usual girl, it gives her her Sidhe(fairy) Scarlet hair color (Red with Black highlights, sort of the coloration of the sorceror's stone in the movie), her lilac colored eyes, and makes her a little more innately magical (The wild talent feat with 0-level power, daze)

Her father, and pretty much her family line going back pretty far are mostly all the equivalent of Aurors, so she has a lot to live up to. Both her mother and father are mages, though he is half fey. She is a free spirit, emotionally, not too wraped up in the rules, but is a good person, sort of a female version of Harry, minus the scar and the Voldemort thing. Her family follows a few Faye traditions, such as a daughter's family is her Fathers first name preceeded by the prefix Nic which means daughter of, so she is Tamalyn NicEssus, until she does something noteworthy, and then the prefix will be removed and she will simply be Tamalyn Essus. The family also follows the traditon of Faye honor, they will not break a promise even if to fufill it means their death, though they watch what they say fairly closely lest their words be taken for a promise.

So what do you think, would this fit your game concept or or not?

Last edited:

Sixchan

First Post
Well, I'm not exacly HP's biggest fan, so I don't feel I should take a main spot away from someone who would perhaps enjoy it more.

OTOH, I'm quite happy to play a supporting character (Like "Schoolboy #7") or a guest. I'll get some sort of character by Tuesday at the latest.:)

Arani Korden

First Post
Shalimar, you're down for a main role. There are a couple of interesting mechanical things we could do with your character background, but we'll get to that when we get to character creation. And since the character is mostly human, I'll leave the non-human slot open.

Sixchan, you're in as a supporting cast member once you have a concept posted.

Last edited:

Lichtenhart

First Post
If it's possible, I'd be very happy to play an half-giant boy, who managed to get admitted in the school thanks to his force of will rather than magical talent. In fact he probably can't cast spells well like his friends ('If only this wand was a little bigger...') but he could ace Herbology, Potions or Care of Magical Creatures. I see him as an outgoing guy, always willing to help others with their potions or the likes, always trying to be accepted for what he is, hiding his melancholy and loneliness behind a mask of cheerfulness and jokes. In fact he had really few true friends because the other boys always feared him or looked down on him. Assuming the other players are friendly to him, he'd do everything he can to protect them, but he should be very careful about the rules, because not everybody likes his presencs in the school and every infraction could be used as a pretext to expel him.

Would you like him? :)

Sixchan

First Post
Hmm...In my mind, I see...Johnathan Napier, a third year Student with a knack for minor telekenesis (far hand as a wild talent), thanks to simple Psionic powers. A timid child, he nevertheless seems to know so much about the school and it's inhabitants that some swear he must sometimes be in two places at once.

Arani Korden

First Post
Lichtenhart said:
If it's possible, I'd be very happy to play an half-giant boy, who managed to get admitted in the school thanks to his force of will rather than magical talent.

The half-giant part would be tricky (no half-giants as such in Urban Arcana.) I really like the concept, though. Can I interest you in a half-ogre or half-orc?

Sixchan, you're in. One of the advantages of being supporting cast is that you don't have to be a first year. ;)

Lichtenhart

First Post
Arani Korden said:
The half-giant part would be tricky (no half-giants as such in Urban Arcana.) I really like the concept, though. Can I interest you in a half-ogre or half-orc?

Yeah I see no problem with them. I don't think stats are an issue, I'd only like him to be big :)
I'll look for Urban Arcana though I'm afraid it hasn't been shipped in Italy yet. Can you tell me how those races apply to D20 Modern?

Arani Korden

First Post
Lichtenhart said:

Yeah I see no problem with them. I don't think stats are an issue, I'd only like him to be big :)
I'll look for Urban Arcana though I'm afraid it hasn't been shipped in Italy yet. Can you tell me how those races apply to D20 Modern?

The half-orc is almost identical to the D&D version. The main differences are that they gain Archaic Weapon proficiency for free, and get a bonus feat at first level. (All the non-humans in UA do. They still have the lowered skill points, though.)

Half-ogres are slightly different from D&D versions that have appeared. They're ECL +1 (so in a more combat oriented game I wouldn't even consider it), have two starting hit dice (but no skills to go along with them), some hefty stat bonuses, natural armor, etc.

Fully grown half-ogres run up to 8 feet tall. Half-orcs aren't that big, but they're still bigger than most humans, and since they age more quickly than humans do you'd be especially big for your age.

In either case, the non-human slot is now filled.

Remove ads