• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Recruiting) Kiss of Darkness--Adventure in my Homebrew Setting

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
25 is what the DMG suggests for average, not the actual die roll.
Right, and it's way below-par for average. If you decided to say "Well, 12.5 is about average for 4d6 drop lowest, and that's 4.5 PB x 6 = 25" then you'd get 25, but that is flawed in several extreme ways :lol:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Woho! I have a .5 in a stat! :p
That's actually not one of the problems :lol: (it can be modelled by 3 12s and 3 13s). The biggest problem, and the most obvious one, is that you cannot take the point buy of the average roll. You have to take the average point buy over all rolls. Why? Because it isn't a linear progression, so the higher stats have a nonlinearly greater point buy.

For example, let's work with a simpler problem: The average Point Buy of one roll of 3d6 no drops. The average roll on that is precisely 10.5, so the "25 PB" crowd would say "Oh, that's 2.5 Point Buy". But let's calculate the actual average:

Note: For rolls of 3 through 8, the PB is 0, so the weighted average for them is 0

18: 1/216 * 16
17: 3/216 * 13
16: 6/216 * 10
15: 10/216 * 8
14: 15/216 * 6
13: 21/216 * 5
12: 25/216 * 4
11: 27/216 * 3
10: 27/216 * 2
9: 25/216 * 1
----------------

Boddynock

First Post
I won't pretend that I understand most of the recent posts - but I do find myself wondering just how much this character would be disadvantaged if I went ahead with the 23 PB. I have been assuming that, despite the flaws, the character will be quite playable. All the preceding comments, however, make me feel as if I'm trying to take on a football team with one leg and a broken crutch.

RA, assuming that Kelloran gets a berth, would he indeed be outclassed by all his colleagues? I don't mind taking some flaws for roleplaying verisimilitude but it's not much fun being the complete loser in the group!

Rystil Arden

First Post
Boddynock said:
I won't pretend that I understand most of the recent posts - but I do find myself wondering just how much this character would be disadvantaged if I went ahead with the 23 PB. I have been assuming that, despite the flaws, the character will be quite playable. All the preceding comments, however, make me feel as if I'm trying to take on a football team with one leg and a broken crutch.

RA, assuming that Kelloran gets a berth, would he indeed be outclassed by all his colleagues? I don't mind taking some flaws for roleplaying verisimilitude but it's not much fun being the complete loser in the group!
I don't think he will be totally outclassed because his stats were assigned fairly well by the random rolls for 23 PB, and I do agree that he will be playable--the only thing that even partially concerns me is 8 Con. He will probably have slightly lower stats than others, however, and your reroll will probably be better (since if it isn't, you can likely reroll again :))

Bront

The man with the probe
Yup, familiar with probability enough to understand the falicies, because that also doesn't account for hopeless characters.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Yup, familiar with probability enough to understand the falicies, because that also doesn't account for hopeless characters.
Yup :) But you can see how 2.5 becomes 3 in this case, just as 25 becomes around 30 for the 4d6 drop average. Then taking into account hopeless characters raises the average to about 32, which means somewhere from 28-30 PB is probably fair depending on how important you find it to be able to assign the scores at will compared to randomly :)

Bront

The man with the probe
Boddynock said:

Yes, he won't be unplayable, but keep in mind, that mosts people are getting low to mid 30s for their PB, meaning that they have 5-10 more attribute points than you in each ability total.

Now, if you think it's fun, then go for it. I'm simply pointing out that you're likely to get much better, though maybe not in the same spread as that.

Remove ads