OSR Red Box, but like modern I guess?!?!?

Aldarc

Legend
Old School Essential + Advanced OSE is probably the cleanest, most usable version you'll find for the moment.

My favorite take on OSR is Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures: it has a special feel and thematic to it that just speaks to me, I guess.

The Black Hack 2, while differing from basic D&D, is pretty darn good, quick to play and fun at the actual table.

O5R (5e adaption for retro-sensibility) are numerous and most of them are really well made. Some good examples: Five Torches Deep, Into the Unknown, and

one-other I cant seem to find that was just released (or Kickstarted?) that I think I saw here on Enworld, but I cant remember the name (help please!).
These are the games that immediately came to mind for me.

I would also potentially recommend Index Card RPG 2E. It doesn't have race/bioform as class, but it doesn't really have class. But it would be incredibly flexible to kitbash an "elf" starter package. It came from a heavily modified and stripped-down 5e D&D, but it has a fair amount of OSR sensibilities.

Retreater

Legend
I've brought 5e groups to Old School Essentials and Swords and Wizardry successfully. I think just try a few sessions in a new system and see if they can buy in to faster gameplay, less rules, more freeform action options, and classic style adventures. My wife (who incidentally loves 4E and PF2) just tried her first session of Swords and Wizardry and had a great time. You never know until you try it.
I would recommend using an existing system over trying to convert 5e to an OSR approach, at least until you get some familiarity.

Weiley31

Legend
Outside of it's reputation and history, what is everybody's opinion of Lamentations of The Flame Princess?

Granted, I guess the way to answer that question better is to ask what is the opinion of the B/X version of DnD? Since apparently LoTFP is a retro clone of the B/X edition of DnD. So Elf/Dwarf/Halfling as class and all.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Outside of it's reputation and history, what is everybody's opinion of Lamentations of The Flame Princess?

Granted, I guess the way to answer that question better is to ask what is the opinion of the B/X version of DnD? Since apparently LoTFP is a retro clone of the B/X edition of DnD. So Elf/Dwarf/Halfling as class and all.
The game itself doesnt do much, the best stuff from this game comes from the 3pp supplements or adventures, but they could be used pretty easily with other OSR or more modern editions without too much trouble.

Veins of the Earth is probably the best ''underground'' exploration guide there is, IMHO.

Retreater

Legend

The good thing is that most OSR systems are cross compatible with a little effort. If there was a feature I really liked in DCC, I could port it over to S&W, run a LL adventure, and be fine.
It's not like trying to convert PF2 to 5E or anything like that.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
Please don't start a flame war as the tone of this might seem hostile to people that love the new editions, and I am not trying to be hostile, I just need to explain what I am looking for!

Okay, so here goes...

Reading all the recent stuff on the new Tasha's book has reminded me that D&D ain't what it used to be. As with the later versions of 3.X I remember reading, classes have become so completely customizable that, IMHO, they are completely pointless. I miss the days when a character's class was important and making that choice had a serious impact cause that's what you were gonna play for the next X number of levels. I also miss the days when there was no race cause elf was a class, not a race. So...

Is there a modernized version of the Red Box D&D that includes the elf and dwarf and halfling classes. Hoomans get to be fighters, or mages, or thiefs, or clerics. There is no multiclasses, or, uh, cross-classes or whatever they were called. Plus, I always hated the THAC0, so I would love if it did the AC is a bonus and rolling higher is better and that kind of thing. Anyway I'm probably asking for the moon, just wondering cause I would love to play an old school campaign again one day, but really, THAC0 can suck it! 😋
Happy holidays! I got the Essentials Kit for the family of my daughter's best friend who started playing with us a year ago and in going through it I was struck how it felt like Basic D&D, which was my first version of D&D. It is true that races are still only races and do not also function as a class, which appears to be your big ask, but when you eliminate the optional rules (e.g. multi classing in addition to feats) from D&D and you stick with five basic classes (bard, cleric, fighter, rogue, & wizard) and only go up to 5th level, it is pretty elementary game and plays quite fast. The nine-year old picked up on it pretty quick.

Remove ads