[Reflect]

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I'm trying to figure out how to replicate one of Temenun's spells:

Reflect assault: reflect (+27), 20 attacks (+60), +1000% duration (+20). Reflect first 20 ranged or melee attacks on attacker. DC = 107.

The [reflect] seed in the big thread doesn't apply to attacks, only spells:

[sblock=Big thread version]Originally posted by Sepulchrave II
Seed: Reflect
Abjuration

Root Spell: Spell turning
Spellcraft Prerequisite: 18
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Until expended or 200 minutes

Spell attacks targeted against the caster rebound on the original attacker. Spells developed with the reflect seed against spells and spell-like effects return up to ten spell levels. Epic Spells are treated as 10th-level spells for this purpose.
Factor: For each additional level of spells to be reflected, increase the Spellcraft Prerequisite by +2. To reflect an area spell, where the caster is not the target but is caught in the vicinity, increase the Spellcraft Prerequisite by +20. The desired effect is automatically reflected if the spell in question is 9th-level or lower.
Special: An opposed caster level check is required when the reflect seed is used against another epic spell. If the enemy spellcaster gets his or her spell through by winning the caster level check, the epic spell using the reflect seed is not expended, just momentarily suppressed.
[/sblock]

The ELH version of the seed has a few peculiarities:
Seed: Reflect
Abjuration
Spellcraft DC: 27
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Duration: Until expended or 12 hours

Attacks targeted against the caster rebound on the original attacker. Each use of the reflect seed in an epic spell is effective against one type of attack only: spells (and spell-like effects), ranged attacks, or melee attacks. To reflect an area spell, where the caster is not the target but are caught in the vicinity, increase the Spellcraft DC by +20. A single successful use of reflect expends its protection. Spells developed with the reflect seed against spells and spell-like effects return all spell effects of up to 1st level. For each additional level of spells to be reflected, increase the Spellcraft DC by +20. Epic spells are treated as 10th-level spells for this purpose.

The desired effect is automatically reflected if the spell in question is 9th level or lower. An opposed caster level check is required when the reflect seed is used against another epic spell. If the enemy spellcaster gets his spell through by winning the caster level check, the epic spell using the reflect seed is not expended, just momentarily suppressed.

If the reflect seed is used against a melee attack or ranged attack, five such attacks are automatically reflected back on the original attacker. For each additional attack reflected, increase the Spellcraft DC by +4. The reflected attack rebounds on the attacker using the same attack roll. Once the allotted attacks are reflected, the spell using the reflect seed is expended.
The highlighted text indicates that the seed is virtually worthless as far as protecting against spells goes. A single magic missile is enough to end the spell. However, this reading leads to difficulties; why does it go on to say "all spell effects" if it will only protect against the first one? Why would a permanent version of the spell (Epic Spell Reflection) ever be devised if the protection ends with the first use?

My suspicion is that the high lighted line is a mistake, although this is not given in the errata, and that spell reflection has unlimited use. Although, unless the spell DC is very high, it will only protect against low level spells. I have no idea what spell this is based on- it is a very different mechanic from spell turning, for instance.

I also have no idea what spell the Reflect Attacks function is based on. As I read it, the seed protects either spells (or spell like abilities) OR ranged attacks OR melee attacks. I think being a spell (or SLA) trumps being a ranged attack; a melf's acid arrow counts as the former but not the latter. I don't think Temenun's spell should be able to protect against both ranged and melee attacks. But I don't know- the exclusive OR is easily confused with the inclusive or, and the ELH seeds could be better written.

If one were to write a non-epic suite of spells that reflect an increasing number of attacks (both ranged as well as melee attacks, but not spells or SLAs), how would one do it? Given such a suite it should be possible to extrapolate a seed. But at the moment I'm at a loss about how to go about it.

[edit]

In the Rules Forum I've asked Is there a spell that reflects attacks? Hopefully something will turn up.

[edit2]

Not much response to the Rules thread. Maybe Reflect Attack will attract some more interest.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Reflect Attack

Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Duration: Until expended or 1 round/level

Melee or ranged attacks with weapons (but not effects or spells which otherwise require an attack roll) which strike the caster have the potential to harm the attacker instead. After a successful attack roll has been made, but before damage has been assigned, resolve the attack against the attacker using the same attack roll. If the attacker is struck by the reflected attack, special effects such as poison will apply if the attacker is vulnerable. Treat the attacker as if he were in the caster's actual position, being attacked by an exact duplicate of himself.

One attack per five caster levels (maximum 4) are automatically reflected. Once the allotted attacks are reflected, the spell is expended.

Note: Some sources of bonus damage will not apply when an attack is reflected; for example, a paladin's smite evil ability won't affect him (but will still count as used) since a paladin is not evil, a high level rogue will not receive sneak attack damage when flanked (because of uncanny dodge) and so on.

Arcane Focus
A small platinum mirror worth at least 200 gp.

A seed analysis would suggest 1 attack = 10 SP. I'd think that 5 attacks and a base duration of 200 minutes would be fine for a 60 SP seed.

[edit] Ranged attacks included, wording tightened up a trifle.

Last edited:

Hi :D

Sorry for the prolonged absence. My life is in one of its not infrequent topsy-turvy phases.

Reflect attack seems pretty solid - when I think about it, it's actually pretty surprising that noone has thought of a spell which fulfills this function already. When compared to spell turning, it seems comfortably placed.

Do you think that ranged attacks can be subsumed within the spell. I.e. "Melee or ranged attacks with weapons (but not effects or spells which otherwise require an attack roll)..." - it seems a bit unnecessary to have a separate contingency for ranged attacks.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Sepulchrave II said:
Do you think that ranged attacks can be subsumed within the spell. I.e. "Melee or ranged attacks with weapons (but not effects or spells which otherwise require an attack roll)..." - it seems a bit unnecessary to have a separate contingency for ranged attacks.
I think that would be reasonable. The number of attacks protected against has been reduced by 20% and the duration has been decreased by two steps. Expanding the remit of the spell just means that it will be expended faster. :D

I'll revise the spell accordingly.

I'm thinking that 1 spell level = +4 SP might work for the spell turning portion of the spell. If the base seed reflects 13 spell levels... the numbers come out just about perfectly. The seed might be a trifle light (about 56 SP, not 60), but I'm not too worried about that. The ability to turn epic spells (as 10th level spells) is a nice little epic bonus.

10 is 2.5 times as big as 4, and 13 is pretty nearly 2.5 times as big as 5... 4 and 10 are nice numbers. 13 is not quite as nice as 12, but 12 would yield a seed with 52 SP (12 x 4 + 4 duration) and that strikes me as a little light. Besides, an empowered spell turning with an average roll gives you 12 levels- the epic seed should be a bit better than that.

Not a spectacular seed like [polymorph], but pretty decent.

Last edited:

Remove ads