• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rejigging caster level

hong

WotC's bitch
One of the commonly heard gripes about multiclassing spellcaster classes is that their caster level gets screwed. A couple of levels of fighter or rogue means you're 1 spell level behind, and you're dealing (or healing) less damage, your buffups have reduced duration, etc. This gets worse the more non-caster levels you take.

What would happen if you used _character_ level instead of _class_ level for the purpose of determining level-dependent effects of spells? Thus, for example, a level 6/6 fighter/cleric would still be limited to 3rd level cleric spells, but would cast them as a 12th level caster. Ditto a 6/6 rogue/sorcerer, or whatever. A 6/6 cleric/wizard would have access to 3rd level cleric and 3rd level wizard spells, but would cast them all as if 12th level.

Lily Inverse

First Post
Ehh....I'm not too sure. Remember that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Although I might limit this stacking to the number of levels in your highest caster class so that a 6/3 Fighter/Wizard casts spells as sixth level, as would a 9/3 Fighter/Wizard.

hong

WotC's bitch
Lily Inverse said:
Remember that what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Err... not sure what you mean.

Although I might limit this stacking to the number of levels in your highest caster class so that a 6/3 Fighter/Wizard casts spells as sixth level, as would a 9/3 Fighter/Wizard.

Technically, a fighter doesn't have a caster level, being a non-spellcasting class. But assuming you just mean highest class level, you get into knots trying to explain why magic ability should be tied to a mundane class.

As for whether it's overpowered: this rule change powers up multiclassed spellcasters, yes. However, as I said, they tend to be weak in the first place, so this would just end up putting them back on par. In theory, anyway.

krbrunn

First Post
In my opinion, the power lost in multiclassing is the price to pay to be more diverse.

And what about a fighter that mulit classes into a wizard? The characters BAB would be less now as well, making him a weaker fighter. Would you let that fighter/wiz take the fighters BAB to make her stronger?

Basically readjusting the casters level to the characters level is making the character into a fighter who can cast spells like a wizard.... I don't know about most of you people, but I think that this is kind of powerful.

That's just my 2 cents.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Hong, I think this is quite a reasonable suggestion. After all, fighters rely on BAB and a fighter who multiclasses as a wizard still gets a BAB improvement (even though its not much :))

I wonder how game breaking it would be if the Sor6/Ftr6 could caste haste for 12r instead of 6r? If his magic missile created 6(?) instead of 3(?) missiles.

I agree that giving up spellcaster levels in terms of more spells known and (crucially) higher level spells is perhaps a big enough penalty to the multiclass caster.

Would there be a problem when the caster level is taken later in the game though? A 5th level rogue who takes a level of wizard or sorcerer... and then gets to cast his spells as if 6th level in terms of duration and effects? I guess this is where there is most potential for abuse.

Cheers

krbrunn

First Post
As I reread this thread, I can see that I am a moron and didn't fully understand what you said.

It's not as bad as I thought initially, and in fact I kind of like it now. Though maybe making it 1/2 character level for determing spell effects may make it a little more reasonable.

First Post
Why not use skill to determin caster level?

Personaly with my system.. (see link in thread below)

http://test.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15542

I use Knowledge(Arcana), Knowledge(religion), or Knowledge(Nature) to determin the effective caster level for those respective classes. This allows Paladin/Clerics & Ranger/Druids to multiclass without suffering from a low caster level. Other classes can still improve the skill (and thus the caster level) but at the cost of a cross class skill.

Corwyn

First Post
I house ruled somthing similar in my campaing that states that casterlevels of different classes sorcerer/wizard , wizard/cleric all stack.
Thus a 3 level wizard / 4 level cleric cast at 7th.

Bards, paladins and rangers use half classlevels for their casterlevel.
Thus a bard 4 / sorcerer 3 cast at 5th

But non caster levels don't add.

Xarlen

First Post
Hm. I have to agree with some of the complaints. Though multi-classing hurts spellcaster classes. But I don't think that it would Break a character to allow them to multi-class into another class, and raise their Caster level for damage/durations/etc. It's sort've like the Domains that allow casters to cast certain spells as +1 Caster level.

So how's this. The character must have their Primary (most levels) in the spellcaster level. Thus a Wizard6/Fighter1 be a caster level 7, but a Fighter6/Wizard 1 is not.

This would reflect that the spellcaster has spent a lot of focus and upping his power slowly, even while gaining the level of Fighter, BUT a Fighter suddenly taking the transition into a wizard wouldn't just Jump in power.

Remove ads