Remember when D&D was sold to a gamer and then he turned around and sold it to Hasbro

the problem is the new buisness (hasbro) wants the IP to grow.

GI Joe, Transformers, My little Pny, Magic the Gathering, and D&D can all sit on a shelf for 4-10 years then make a resurgence. I doubt they WOULD sell it unless it was for crazy money just to get Hasbro to consider it.
So here's the issue.

Shareholders, at least as of late last year, were pressuring them to sell it. They were also pressuring them to sell eOne (their movie/TV arm, which is surprisingly profitable, it owns Peppa Pig and all sorts).

Hasbro refused to sell either.

Except then they changed their mind on eOne, and Hasbro is now actively attempting to sell it.

It's entirely possible Hasbro will decide WotC is also worth either selling, or spinning off, which is what the shareholders want.

So here's the issue.

Shareholders, at least as of late last year, were pressuring them to sell it. They were also pressuring them to sell eOne (their movie/TV arm, which is surprisingly profitable, it owns Peppa Pig and all sorts).

Hasbro refused to sell either.

Except then they changed their mind on eOne, and Hasbro is now actively attempting to sell it.

It's entirely possible Hasbro will decide WotC is also worth either selling, or spinning off, which is what the shareholders want.
it is possible, I don't want to put forward the idea that it isn't possible, just that it is not the most likely out come. The movie studio is not IP itself it is a 'manufacturing wing' that uses the IP... and I will withhold my thoughts on that.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
So for the record D&D went from Gamer - Business - Gamer - Business. So some rich gamer should be buying the possibly failing D&D license in another 5 years or so... if the pattern holds. Anyone got a spare $44 Billion they want to throw down a trash chute?
Hm, I've been tossing loose change in a jar for a few years now, let me check; might be enough for a down payment.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
the problem is the new buisness (hasbro) wants the IP to grow.
I want to grow too. I want more people to play, enjoy and learn from the game.
I'm confused why anyone wouldn't want more people to have the same fun they have.
Shareholders, at least as of late last year, were pressuring them to sell it.
An extremely minority section of activist investors representing about 2% of share value.

An extremely minority section of activist investors representing about 2% of share value.
That's absolutely right.

However, they were the same section asking for eOne to be sold. And WotC refused - presumably on the grounds that as you say, they were only 2% of value.

Then WotC suddenly did exactly what they wanted. Which suggests there's maybe a bit more going on.

I'm not saying Hasbro selling or spinning off WotC or just D&D from WotC is at all likely. I am suggesting it is not fundamentally implausible.

If I'm going to Nostradamus this (why haven't we got a better D&D example of a prophet?), then I'd say there's no real chance Hasbro sells or spins off WotC until they've seen how the 3D VTT does, or until the 3D VTT has got so painfully delayed and expensive that it not longer seems worth it (which would 2025 at the soonest, I'd guess). If the 3D VTT isn't instantly looking good, and is costing a ton of money (as it will given 350 people on it!), I'd be unsurprised if WotC was given the boot, so long as D&D was generally still "riding high".

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Then WotC suddenly did exactly what they wanted. Which suggests there's maybe a bit more going on.
I think the eOne shift is more related to the new CEO being in seat for more than a few weeks.
Plus, they discovered the bid process for the D&D TV show was likely to generate a huge amount of revenue. Rather than build in house while owning the global rights to Grey's Anatomy it probably makes sense to fold some of eOne into Toys (Peppa!) and then sell it.

Because their branded stuff is going to generate more money by letting Paramount, Netflix, Apple, Prime Video, HBO, etc bid against each other.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases