• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reminiscing, Re:AD&D (Games 1 & 2 in progress in Playing the Game Forum....)

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I have no problem with your cleric worshipping Pholtus, Jacob M., as long as we can agree that Pholtus is an avatar, or a version, of Donblas. This will make no difference to you by and large. Your character will recognize Pholtus as his deity, and Donblas as Pholtus's boss or superego. Is that going to be a problem for you? Because if it is, we'll talk about it, and I'll try again.

This works fine for me.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Odo, Acolyte of Pholtus

Odo, Acolyte of Pholtus
Male Human Cleric
Lawful Good
Experience 0 (10% bonus for high Wisdom)

Age 21 (mature)
Height 5’9”
Weight 197 lbs.

Strength 14
(hit probability normal; damage adjustment none; weight allowance +200; open doors 1-2; bend bars/lift gates 7%)
Intelligence 12
(additional languages 3)
Wisdom 17
(magical attack adjustment +3; spell bonus 2 1st-level, 2-2nd-level, 1 3rd-level; chance of spell failure 0%)
Dexterity 13
(reaction/attacking adjustment 0; defensive adjustment 0)
Constitution 13
(hit point adjustment 0; system shock survival 85%; resurrection survival 90%)
Charisma 13
(maximum number of henchmen 5; loyalty base +0%; reaction adjustment +5%)

Armor Class 5 (6 without his shield)
Hit Points 8

Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic 10
Petrification or Polymorph 13
Rod, Staff, or Wand 14
Breath Weapon 16
Spell 15

Secondary Skills (farmer)

Equipment (2 gold pieces, 14 silver pieces, 7 copper pieces)
Backpack, Leather (2 gold pieces)
Boots, Soft Low (8 silver pieces)
Cap (1 silver piece)
Cloak (5 silver pieces)
Hammer (1 gold piece)
Holy Symbol, Iron (2 gold pieces)
Rations, Iron (5 gold pieces)
Mace, Footman’s P (8 gold pieces)
Oil, Flask of (1 gold piece)
Pouch, Belt (15 silver pieces)
Sack, Small (10 copper pieces)
Scale (45 gold pieces)
Shield, Small (10 gold pieces)
Skin for Water (15 silver pieces)
Tinder Box with Flint & Steel (1 gold piece)
Torch x 3 (3 copper pieces)

Notes: Pholtus is an aspect of Donblas.

Last edited:

Keldryn

Adventurer
F. A Bard may be permitted if someone gets OUTSTANDING ability rolls and wants to play one. [If we have two who qualify, I'm going to seriously consider calling BS!]

I actually rolled pretty outstanding scores and could qualify to be a Bard.
Assuming that we're starting at 1st level, do you think that the campaign will run long enough for it to even be an issue?

What's your interpretation as to how half-elven bards work? :devil:

Do they break the rules of only humans being allowed to dual-class, or do they break the rules that a bard begins play exclusively as a fighter and then changing to a thief before changing to a bard (so a half-elf bard would start as a fighter/thief multiclass and then switch to advancing as a bard once both class levels are in the proper range)?

I would be inclined to go with the second option (start as fighter/thief and then stop advancement in both classes to become a bard), as it is a single special case (allowing a half-elf fighter/thief to stop advancement and become a bard) rather than breaking the usual dual-classing paradigm if and only if the half-elf intends to become a bard.

Or these questions might just make you say "oh, right, that's why I originally banned bards from my AD&D game."

Leif

Adventurer
[EDIT] Ah! One more thing...I never had the Deities and Demigods with the Melnibonean mythos in it. Original Erol Otus cover, yes. But with the Melnibonean and Cthulu mythos' retracted.
This is taken care of now, I believe. ;)
Queries re: Druids:
1) Will Druids receive the bonus spells for high wisdom, as clerics do? We always did in my games (ones I played and ones I've run). But I don't see/can't find, now, any definitive explanation in the PHB. So, your call, Mr. DM. :)
2) Are we doing Druid's as priests of a nature deity (does Melnibonean mythos have a nature deity?) or just worshippers of/getting their powers from the "natural" energies of the world? Either one works for me, just curious for potential character personality/rp-reasons.

*Note: there is no Club or Cudgel listed on the Weapons/Equipment price list. So I am assuming it was made for me by someone in my order or I made it myself, or, heck, just found a sturdy piece of branch with a bulbous end on the ground? haha. Is there no charge?

DM Request: I would like to have a silver bladed hand/small sickle. This would be a "sacred" item for gathering herbs, not intended for use as a weapon (and obviously, if I did, it would be at the Non-proficient penalty anyway). Sickles are also not on the Equipment list, so using Dagger as a base (2gp) can I put down a silver sickle in my equipment for, say, 5gp?

Also concerning equipment, as a Druid am I using a "Holy Symbol" (of wood, I would guess) or Sprigs of Mistletoe (which is also not on the equipment list, so I would/could use Belladonna sprigs - they are practically the same herb- for 4 sp a pop?)

So...um...yeah, this character seems to be shaping up nicely/forming in my imagination rather quickly.

I'll wait for answers to my questions and then solidify/finalize a listing for this lady of the land.

--SD
Ok, mistletoe must be harvested by the Druid himself. There are even rules about 'borrowed mistletoe' in the DMG or somewhere. So no charge for it. Cudgels are handled similarly. Druids get no bonus spells for high wisdom, sorry. Druids are worshippers of nature itself, not a specific nature deity.
I do think your house rules are too player friendly. :D
Ok. Hmm, and here I thought the whole idea was for the players to have fun.
I may have to rethink the chainmail with that ruling! :)
I think I used Method 3 for designing my PC. Are his scores okay how they are, or do you want me to re-roll the character?
Abilities are fine, Rhun, they're in line with the others posted so far. Actually, what I meant for everyone to do was roll characters up using the ENWorld dice roller or Invisible Castle, but since everyone's doing it this way we'll just go with what we have. Now COMBAT rolls are going to have to be made with the built-in dice-roller for transparency's sake.
Excellent Find!! Thanks! I'd XP you if I could yet. A little help someone(s)??? :)
I'll roll up a fighting man this weekend shooting for ranger if I roll well enough. Most likely human, I'll have to read over any other options for race. I'm happy with PH only, no UA.
sounds good
I'll throw my hat in as an alternate. I'll follow the posts.

If I might allow one suggestion that I have found moves a PBP along quite well is that the DM rolls initiative for everyone. It can sometimes take several days just to organize the beginning of a combat round otherwise.
Alternates are good! And that's an excellent idea about initiative.
I actually rolled pretty outstanding scores and could qualify to be a Bard.
Assuming that we're starting at 1st level, do you think that the campaign will run long enough for it to even be an issue?

What's your interpretation as to how half-elven bards work? :devil:

Do they break the rules of only humans being allowed to dual-class, or do they break the rules that a bard begins play exclusively as a fighter and then changing to a thief before changing to a bard (so a half-elf bard would start as a fighter/thief multiclass and then switch to advancing as a bard once both class levels are in the proper range)?

I would be inclined to go with the second option (start as fighter/thief and then stop advancement in both classes to become a bard), as it is a single special case (allowing a half-elf fighter/thief to stop advancement and become a bard) rather than breaking the usual dual-classing paradigm if and only if the half-elf intends to become a bard.

Or these questions might just make you say "oh, right, that's why I originally banned bards from my AD&D game."
I had actually never even thought about Half-Elven Bards breaking that 'humans only can dual class' rule! But I admit that I do like your Fighter/Thief multi- to Bard idea. And you're right, I doubt whether we could ever get a character from 1st level up to actually advancing in Bard levels in a PBP game.
I took the time to see if I have time to do a PBP and I don't currently. Thanks for the invite, though. An alternate can jump in right at the start now.
[MENTION=893]Imperialus[/MENTION]! You listening? :)

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
This is taken care of now, I believe. ;)

It tis. :)

Ok, mistletoe must be harvested by the Druid himself. There are even rules about 'borrowed mistletoe' in the DMG or somewhere. So no charge for it.

Yes, I saw that when I went to review the 1st level druid spells in the PHB.

So, can I assume she has some? And the silver sickle? Since it specifiies having to cut the misteltoe with a "gold or silver sickle and catch it in a bowl before it hits the ground"? Gold seems a bit on the pretentious side for a druid, if y'ask me. hahaha. But there ya go. So a sickle's ok? Would you like me to deduct gp for it?

The differentiation in the PHB is for: "Greater Mistletoe" -harvested as I mentionabove. "Lesser Mistletoe" -"not harvested on midsummer's eve/night or not harvested in the manner prescribed (such as picking by hand)." and "Borrowed Misteltoe" -not harvested by the druid herself.

Then there is a table of percentages effecting the Spell range, duration and area of effect depending on the kind of misteltoe used...which seems to me would be just a big pain for everyone concerned.

Can we assume she has Greater Mistletoe and spells just work as written?

Also, as the druid's "holy symbol", I am also going to inquire (sorry to be a pain) if/that the sprig is then not "used up" in spellcasting? i.e. I only need to have one sprig (or two, for a back up?) As opposed to a whole pouch of them, each getting used up with every spell she casts.

Cudgels are handled similarly. Druids get no bonus spells for high wisdom, sorry. Druids are worshippers of nature itself, not a specific nature deity.

Coolio. No problem.

Excellent Find!! Thanks! I'd XP you if I could yet. A little help someone(s)??? :)

You're quite welcome.

@Imperialus ! You listening? :)

Sounds like you're "in", [MENTION=893]Imperialus[/MENTION]. Welcome to our lil' foray. :D

--SD

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
For your consideration and approval, gentlefolk, I present to you:

Shiyana
[SHEE'-yah-nah] of Shadebough Circle
Druid/1
Half-elf/Female
Hair: Dark Copper...Eyes: Turquoise blue
Align: True Neutral

XP: 0 (10% bonus for high Wis. & Cha.)

HP: 8
AC: 7 (8 without shield)

S: 11 (-/-,Open Doors 1-2, Bend Bars 2% haha. Woohoo!)
I: 12 (-)
W: 17 (Magic Adj. +3)
D: 14 (-/-)
C: 11 (Sys. Shock 75%, Res. 80%)
Ch: 16 (Henchmen 8, Loyalty +20%, Reaction Adj. +25%)

Spells: 2 1st

Weapon Prof (2, +1/5lvl): Cudgel (as club): d6/d3, Sling (stones): d4/d4

Druid Abilities: +2 saves vs. fire and electricity

Half-elf Abilities: 30% Resistance to sleep/charm; 60' Infravision;
Secret Doors: Passive (within 10') 1 in 6, Active 2 in 6, Concealed: 3 in 6

Languages: Common, Druid, Elf, Gnome, Halfling, Gob, Hob, Orc, Gnoll, and "Neutral" (is we're going to be using Alignment Languages)

Equipment
Leather armor
Small shield (of wood and stretched leather/hide)
Large Cloak
High (soft) Boots (folded down below the knee, normally, but able to be "done up" to mid-thigh)
Belt
2 small belt pouches
1 large belt pouch

Cudgel
Sling w/ 12 stones
Silver-bladed Sickle
Mistletoe, 2 sprigs (1 tied into/around her cloak clasp, 1 in a belt pouch)
Wolvesbane, 2 sprigs (in pouches)
Holly and Oak sprigs/leaves (some in pouches, some woven/entwined in her headband/hair)

Backpack
-Tinderbox
-Candles (4, beeswax, naturally :)
-Rope, 50'
-2 small sacks
-1 Bone map/scroll case (she can't use scrolls, but figure a place to store them, maps or other collected parchments is probably a good idea)
-Iron Rations (1 week)
-Wineskin

Remaining/Starting Coinage/GP: 53gp, 12sp

Am I missing/forgetting anything? (Been a while since I got to be the "Player" :)
--SD

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
I enjoy having more of a challenge and not having the rules bent so far in my favor. Different people enjoy different types of game.
Fair enough, fair enough.

[MENTION=92511]steeldragons[/MENTION] -- I thought you had already deducted 2 gp as the price of the sickle, approximating the cost by figuring it's close to a dagger, smaller maybe, but with a silvered blade, so it should be about right I think.

The Party:
DM: Leif
Players:
1. Jacob Marley - Odo, Acolyte of Pholtus, Human Cleric, L/G, male
2. Kravell Imperialus - ?
3. steeldragons - Shiyana of Shadebough Circle, Half-Elf Druid, N, female
4. Rhun - Turthain of the Emerald Cloak, Elf Fighter/Magic-User/Thief, Neutral Good, Male
5. Keldryn - ?

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
@steeldragons -- I thought you had already deducted 2 gp as the price of the sickle, approximating the cost by figuring it's close to a dagger, smaller maybe, but with a silvered blade, so it should be about right I think.

Oh! Yes. Ok. I was waiting for confirmation you would allow it in the first place. Thanks and no problem. Editing to ensue (-2 gp), momentarily.

The Party:
DM: Leif
Players:
1. Jacob Marley - Odo, Acolyte of Pholtus, Human Cleric, L/G, male
2. Kravell - ?
3. steeldragons - Shiyana of Shadebough Circle, Half-Elf Druid, N, female
4. Rhun - Turthain of the Emerald Cloak, Elf Fighter/Magic-User/Thief, Neutral Good, Male
5. Keldryn - ?

I believe Kravell is out...Imperialis being the first alternate...unless I missed someone else's affirmative.

Just as a general note: I am open to changing/re-rolling a different character (or readjusting existing scores if it's ok with Leif) if we want/need them (fighter types, anyone?). I would rather not, but am willing. :)

--SD

Remove ads